Author Topic: Cyphomandra corymbiflora (hardy to -10 Celsius)  (Read 1249 times)

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
Cyphomandra corymbiflora (hardy to -10 Celsius)
« on: October 26, 2020, 10:31:44 AM »
Since information is scarce about the rarer Cyphomandras, i m sharing my experience, the first year it produced lots of flowers but they all fell without producing fruit. The second year some flowers fell immature, but most of them turned to fruit, without pollination from a second plant. The fruit is the size of an olive, some are the size of a big fat olive, while others are the size of a small olive; anyway, they are generally not palatable, while some of them might be called nearly tasty, mostly their taste is usually that of a lightly baked eggplant with some fruity sweetness added, and just as often eggplants, the c. corymbiflora fruit give a biting/stinging sensation to the palate (solanoiid alcaloids i suppose); the fruit skin is very thin and soft, so they should be eaten with the skin (after they fall from the bush and get soft to finger pressure; before that, they are hard like wood); however, the fruit, which smell like tomato leaves when picked, if kept for a little while they give a fragrance similar to feijoa. In small quantities they can make an interesting addition to a fruit salad. There is no copyright about this information, you can share with anyone.

PitangatubaMoray

• U.S.A, 6A
    • View Profile
Re: Cyphomandra corymbiflora (hardy to -10 Celsius)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 07:30:26 PM »
Interesting... Do you have pictures?

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 04:15:11 AM »
Interesting... Do you have pictures?
i can take some pictures, there are still some fruit hanging on the bush, but apart from an exotic appearance, huge leaves, pretty flowers and pretty fruit, it is not worth growing it as edible. The fruit are usually not palatable and they give a stinging sensation to the palate, behind the upper gums.
It is much better to grow Cyphomandra betacea (the commercial cyphomandra) which makes gorgeous big shiny leaves, small but beautiful and fragrant flowers, and much bigger and tasty fruit. And it is hardy to zone 9b.
A little bit more hardy than C. betacea are C. sibundoyensis (i have not succeeded in growing it, they say it makes much bigger fruit than C. betacea) and C. cajanumensis which has not (yet) given me any fruit, only the taste description i found on the internet seems very good (fruit size unknown, probably varies, sometimes bigger and sometimes smaller than C. betacea).

Patanax

• Austria, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 03:19:47 PM »
See this blog for a lot of infos

https://unusualediblesandtheirwildrelatives.blogspot.com/2018/02/hardy-tamarillos-cyphomandra-spdiv.html

The author collects rare edible plants and their wild relatives. He also sells most of the plants he writes about on his Ebay. I have ordered cuttings and seeds from him before and can recommend it, he packages them very well.

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 12:04:57 PM »
See this blog for a lot of infos
https://unusualediblesandtheirwildrelatives.blogspot.com/2018/02/hardy-tamarillos-cyphomandra-spdiv.html
The author collects rare edible plants and their wild relatives. He also sells most of the plants he writes about on his Ebay. I have ordered cuttings and seeds from him before and can recommend it, he packages them very well.
It sounds great! thanks!