Author Topic: Is the Siamese mango (Mangifera siamensis) compatible with turpentine rootstock  (Read 1917 times)

Gambit

• USA, Florida, St. Pete, 10a
    • View Profile
Came across a vendor offering a seedling Siamese mango tree for sale. It is one one the mangos I grew up eating in SE Asia and would like a tree in the yard. Question is, without knowing who or what the daddy species is, can I expect at least a good approximation of the Siamese mango flavor from this tree? Or better yet, can I get a grafted Siamese mango tree in Florida ?

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Warren

Gambit

• View Profile
Thanks for the info. Nice to know that it is available. Wow!! $117.00 (reduced price) for a 3 gal. I'll pass and continue looking. It's one of the few mangos, including the bacang (M. foetida) that were available in the boonies in Malaysia. While M. foetida grows wild, M. siamensis is grown in backyards. IIRC siamensis is much better than foetida.

wslau

• View Profile
To answer your first question...You can try your luck with the seedling if it's at a decent price.  With Siamese mango being from SE Asia, it is most likely polyembrionic, meaning that all seedling sprouts except for one (zygote) are identical (clones) of the mother tree that the fruit (seed) was grown on.
Those are decent odds that you will get a clone (1/2 to 6/7).
I have found polyembrionic seeds to yield anywhere between 2 and 7 sprouts.
However, there is a post from Simon about variations that can naturally occur with these clones.
Hence, it still is better to buy a grafted tree, which will produce fruit faster than any seedling. 
I have not seen any other nurseries that sell this Siamese mango variety.  Not even sure if Zills HPP even propagates this variety.  If anyone can get this variety for you (and at a decent price), it would probably be Squam256.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:36:08 AM by wslau »
Warren

Gambit

• View Profile
Thanks... I'll definitely check with Alex. Planning to head to Miami and surrounding areas come July for some serious mango gorging with the family.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:21:35 AM by Gambit »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Does anyone know if Siamese is compatible with mangifera indica for grafting?

wslau

• View Profile
Future...very little is published on Siamese mango...but Siamese is at least compatible with the rootstock Plantogram uses for their Siamese grafted trees.  You should ask Plantogram what rootstock their Siamese is on, as the grafted tree source may not always be Zills HPP (which generally uses Mangifera indica turpentine).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 05:36:42 AM by wslau »
Warren