Author Topic: High Density Home Orchard  (Read 3315 times)

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
High Density Home Orchard
« on: June 07, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »
Has anyone had favorable results with this technique?  It's designed for more temperate fruits so I do not know how tropicals and citrus perform.  I have a 4x6 foot bed with two blood oranges and two satsumas.   This is their 5th year in the ground and it looks like I will get a pretty good crop from a small space.  I also have a bloomsweet grapefruit and chandler pomelo about two feet from each other,  The grapefruit is more vigorous and is overwhelming the pomelo.  I may have to prune the grapefruit back severely once I harvest the fruit.  Below is a pdf of a power point presentation that lays it out.  I'd like to so hear comments from others about this.

http://arborgate.com/downloads/High-Density-Home%20Orchards-Arborgate-2013.pdf
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

karpes

• South Louisiana
    • View Profile
Re: High Density Home Orchard
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 09:53:53 PM »
 My citrus orchard was planted high density so that I could use my shop and tractor shed as a north wind brake. Spacing was 11 feet between trees and 20 feet between rows. It doesn't take long for the trees to interlock branches at the 11 foot spacing. I don't know yet if I will prune between trees. One advantage is they block sunlight where grass doesn't grow between them. Now there is just enough room between the 20' row spacing to drive a gold cart through.
 The limbs of my citrus are touching the ground and I am still reluctant to trim them. Ironic in that I trim all other trees in my orchard but for some unknown reason I just don't like to trim citrus.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 11:13:17 AM »
I don't know why I did not think of this earlier, but some years back I purchased a second house that the previous owner had planted two plum trees in the same hole.  One tree was a purple leafed tree, and the other a green leaf tree. They are now full grown plum trees, each growing into a half circle.  Between the two trees they make one complete circle.   They both have grown to the same height and spread, and seem to be healthy trees and produce fruit .  Maybe two citrus trees varieties with the same growth characteristics  would do the same. - Millet

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 01:43:36 PM »
That's what I am working on.  The moro blood is overtaking the two satsumas because of their weeping growth habit.  Right now the four trees look like one a big bush with one end several feet higher (the moro) than the other (the satsuma's). The key is to get plants with similar size in the same planting hole. 
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

jimmy_va

• usa,va,springfield,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »
Yorgos-I don't know why there aren't much information on High Density Home Orcard, but I have a set up pretty much like your and all my trees are doing great and fruiting very well.
I have a spot right against my house,it is 10X16 feet and I am planting the following trees in the ground at 2.5- 3 feet apart for the past 4 years:

Guava tree at 12 feet tall.(the tallest tree in the spot)
Mango (Nan Duc Mai)
mango (Lancetilla)
Wax Jambu red
2 Meyer Lemon
2 Tangerine
Dragon Fruit.
All of my trees fruited nicely every year.
I am in Northern Virginia, zone 7 so I must cover and heat the entire location from Dec.- April every year.

Thanks,

jimmy_va

• usa,va,springfield,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to mention my Ruby Red Grapefruit tree as well.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 05:52:26 PM »
i am utilizing many strategies to accomplish this, including 2 in 1 hole, espalier, and planting out all space available.  I saw 2 full-grown mangoes that were planted in 1 hole.  They were both approx 25 ft tall and healthy.  one was green mango, the other red.  Looked very cool.  It caught my eye immediately.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration