Author Topic: Anyone growing or has tasted Golden Queen mango  (Read 1761 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Anyone growing or has tasted Golden Queen mango
« on: September 07, 2020, 01:51:50 PM »
I find this mango very interesting! (Source tropical acres farms) It is a cross between ‘Ivory’ and ‘Keitt’, producing enormous fruit.The flowers have superior anthracnose resistance. It is late season in Florida maturing from August to September. Ivory is believed to be one of the parents of the Maha Chanok. Ivory is said to be not precocious taking a while to produce. I wonder if the is true for Golden Queen? Is anyone growing this or has anyone tasted this mango?

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Anyone growing or has tasted Golden Queen mango
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 02:05:34 PM »
I've tasted it. Pretty good.
We have previous thread on the forum about it.
Searching "golden queen mango" should bring up most

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 02:46:11 PM »
I've tasted it. Pretty good.
We have previous thread on the forum about it.
Searching "golden queen mango" should bring up most

I saw a thread in 2012 where it was discussed but did not see where anyone was growing in florida.
A taste review in 2016. I am sure Alex is growing it. Just wondering if it has gained in popularity? I my graft on VP growing over my fence 
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 03:52:21 PM »
I don't think the fruit is that good. I prefer most other late seasons mangos over it.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 07:22:29 PM »
Looks similar to "Taiwan mango" which has become a rage among Asian green mango buyers. I tried one at the green unripe stage as a grated salad it was good not sour. la Vang farm here on Pine Island has planted many acres for the green mango trade.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 06:29:23 AM »
Iirc i ate them a few times some years ago..haven't seen them lately but they belong to the new Taiwanese mango varieties.

What i remember is that it tasted good/great and was a huge yellow mango ..

I prefer Ivory (Naa Chang in thailand) though and planted a grafted tree of it...it grew long slander branches which were always drooping...it never bloomed though and i culled it after some years. I can buy Naa Chang mango's on the market.

Golden Queen is better than mahachanok though...i assume the thai grown golden queens and other new taiwanese varieties go to Singapore these days to fetch a high price.

Also all the other taiwanese mango's taste great and some are huge. My favorit mango is Mun Khun Si and number 2 is Ivory.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 06:38:16 AM »
Iirc i ate them a few times some years ago..haven't seen them lately but they belong to the new Taiwanese mango varieties.

What i remember is that it tasted good/great and was a huge yellow mango ..

I prefer Ivory (Naa Chang in thailand) though and planted a grafted tree of it...it grew long slander branches which were always drooping...it never bloomed though and i culled it after some years. I can buy Naa Chang mango's on the market.

Golden Queen is better than mahachanok though...i assume the thai grown golden queens and other new taiwanese varieties go to Singapore these days to fetch a high price.

Also all the other taiwanese mango's taste great and some are huge. My favorit mango is Mun Khun Si and number 2 is Ivory.
I have a Nga Chang Daeng, red ivory small tree... not yet fruiting. If she goes well maby will fruit in two years.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 06:42:43 AM by Luisport »

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 12:20:21 PM »

Naa chang daeng also is from Taiwan, i ate it a few times...huge red mango, very nice...better than the other huge one called Jakrapat...which is Yu-Wen in taiwan.

But those huge mango's sometimes have issues inside where they are overripe or so.

I also grew chang daeng in the past, it made very long drooping branches as well and had huge leaves...

All those new improved varieties from Taiwan are great, also for guava's , wax apples and annona's.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 12:25:39 PM »

Naa chang daeng also is from Taiwan, i ate it a few times...huge red mango, very nice...better than the other huge one called Jakrapat...which is Yu-Wen in taiwan.

But those huge mango's sometimes have issues inside where they are overripe or so.

I also grew chang daeng in the past, it made very long drooping branches as well and had huge leaves...

All those new improved varieties from Taiwan are great, also for guava's , wax apples and annona's.
Thank's! Good info! And you know the purple nam doc mai?

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 05:28:56 PM »

Thank's! Good info! And you know the purple nam doc mai?

Yes i have seen pictures of the purple namdocmai but never seen the fruit on the markets. The new mango's are mainly huge ones, Yu-wen can become more than 2 kilo a piece...i've also had chang daeng from over a kilo....it was a perfect fruit, yu-wen is the one which can sometimes have bad pieces of flesh inside...

What i like about Ivory (naa chang) is that they are on the markets offseason sometimes...i don;'t know if that's natural of maybe they sprayed the tree's to bloom but it's a fantastic mango and even more when there's no namdocmai around.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 05:31:36 PM »
Thank's!   ;)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 05:35:07 PM »
Ok I do know that one and they are great and very large. They are a Taiwanese type that is very late and go by a few different names. They are sweet, not complex in taste but have a pleasant straight up mango taste and very high flesh yield. They are very large at times rivalling Keitt, r2e2 or rabaul for maximum size. I included this in my top 5 to plant.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 06:48:12 PM »
I’ve eaten the golden queen and rate it quite highly but not quite in my top 50 all time. . Unusual to find such a large mango with sublime features.  I’m an Ivory fan too and rate it over Ivory. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk