Author Topic: Bisexual Burmese grapes?  (Read 4822 times)

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Re: Bisexual Burmese grapes?
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 03:07:55 PM »

How likely is it for hermaphrodite trees to not fruit one year and only have male flowers the next? Is there still a chance that this is not a totally male tree?

You might want to contact some of the sellers of grafted Mafai, it seems 'Tong Siam' is currently in fashion, and some sellers posting pictures of grafted trees fruiting in small pots

Here is one seller, perhaps they can sell you scions to graft to your existing tree.  I'm sure somebody on your farm can call and speak Thai, also for the price they are selling 500 baht  I'm sure they will be more than happy to help.

พิกัด:สวนบุญบันดาล ปากช่อง TEL:084-7726443

mikemap

• Puna and Hilo, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2019, 04:37:30 AM »
In this thread it's not clear that the cited article refers to hermaphrodites or to multi-grafted trees with separate male and female grafts. Seems prudent to assume the latter without clear evidence for the former.

Locally I saw a "single" Baccaurea tree loaded with fruit, but it looked like several trees were stuck in the same hole and grew up intertwined, which seems like a good strategy for many dioecious trees.
Mike Parker: kefir fanatic, ethnomusicology hobbyist

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2019, 02:49:40 PM »
Hi, I took another look at the post, I can read Thai, and yes they did make clear.  Sorry was a bit lazy before above helping the op.

การปลูกด้วยเมล็ดส่วนใหญ่จะเป็นต้นตัวผู้และต้นตัวเมีย  ปัจจุบันนิยมขยายพันธุ์ด้วยการเสียบยอด จึงได้ต้นพันธุ์เป็นต้นกะเทยเกือบทั้งหมด ต้นกะเทย ดังกล่าวหมายถึงต้นที่มีทั้งดอกตัวผู้และดอกตัวเมียอยู่ในต้นเดียวกัน

In the bold statement the author says "For clarification, the tree has female flowers and male flowers on the same tree"

So not hermaphrodite flowers, rather just a hermaphrodite tree from grafting.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2019, 03:46:24 AM »
If only someone can bring those variety to Western countries I believe it can change the assumption that all mafai dioceous

mikemap

• Puna and Hilo, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2019, 02:41:31 AM »
If only someone can bring those variety to Western countries I believe it can change the assumption that all mafai dioceous

I think you might be misunderstanding the thread above, particularly the most recent post by sahai1. There's nothing here to suggest any Baccaurea are not dioecious.
Mike Parker: kefir fanatic, ethnomusicology hobbyist

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2019, 04:54:53 AM »

I think you might be misunderstanding the thread above, particularly the most recent post by sahai1. There's nothing here to suggest any Baccaurea are not dioecious.
Sorry I mean monoecious.

tongmuan

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2023, 08:21:39 AM »
I got to eat a lot of baccaurea fruits this year, some notes about the taste + Thai names. Seems like there are good tasting cultivars (or maybe just random seed-grown trees?) out there, but most of the stuff available locally is the small and sour types.

Tampoi / ลังแข (Langkhae) or ลูกปุย (Luukpui)

First lot from a roadside market in Phanga were small and sour and had quite lot of "soil taste" and smell. Second lot from a different stall at the same place were better size, but still quite sour and with some of the soil taste. For third try, ordered online from the deep south and those were larger with perfect balance of sweet and sour and without soil taste.

Rambai / ละไม (Lamai)

First rambai from a local market were very sour and with little to eat. Found more later at another market, and they were bigger and still quite sour but in a nice way. The aftertaste reminds me of redcurrants, for some reason.

Red mafai / มะไฟกา (Mafai gaa)

Nice looking red fruit in large bunches, but at least these ones were super sour! I ate quite a lot because I wanted to keep seeds from fruits that were both larger and sweeter. My gums and stomach hurt afterwards - usually I enjoy sour fruit, but this is too much.

Jampuling / จำปูลิง

Nice sweet and sour taste, but there's very little to eat in each fruit.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2023, 08:33:01 PM »
Mine are sweet and subacid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk