Author Topic: M. vexator as rootstock for Plinia/Myrciaria species  (Read 1347 times)

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
M. vexator as rootstock for Plinia/Myrciaria species
« on: March 29, 2020, 09:01:57 AM »
Hi,

My experience is that M. vexator is clearly more adaptable to alkaline soil/water conditions.
My M. vexator is now over 4 meters tall and does rather well whereas all other Myrciaria species
struggle...

Is Myrciaria vexator compatible with any Plinia/Myrciaria species?

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: M. vexator as rootstock for Plinia/Myrciaria species
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 11:16:44 PM »
Wondering the same.

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 10:11:44 AM »
I will be trying to graft camu camu on vexator soon. I've seen threads with Flying Fox fruits that did it but not sure of the results long term.

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 01:58:23 PM »
All of my myrciarias are in the same soil. No issues with any of them except for one. Guaquiea blue. M. Glomerata, Floribunda, strigipes, dubia, guaquiea, vexator, pilosa, cerrado green and all of my plinias are in the same soil. If the plants are getting the right nutrients then they should be fine. Ph of my soil is 5.5-7.
I grow Camu Camu, it’s what I do.
Www.camucamufarms.com

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 08:47:05 PM »
All of my myrciarias are in the same soil. No issues with any of them except for one. Guaquiea blue. M. Glomerata, Floribunda, strigipes, dubia, guaquiea, vexator, pilosa, cerrado green and all of my plinias are in the same soil. If the plants are getting the right nutrients then they should be fine. Ph of my soil is 5.5-7.

That’s awesome, but I think his point was the vexator does well for him in the less acidic conditions he’s working with and wanted to capitalize on that by using it as a rootstock.

I love all these plinias and related plants, but I’ve got beach sand for soil and they’re a bit of a pain to take care of, would be nice to know if this was an option.

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 09:10:04 PM »
That makes sense, my mistake. If that is the case I would highly suggest one of two options. Grafting or purchasing the materials for creating your own soil. I don’t have any grafted plinias because I would rather grow from seed and establish some sort of base knowledge on what the plants want and to what thresholds they can withstand. So far the most durable regarding feeding is M. Glazioviana followed by glomerata, guaquiea and dubia in no particular order. The vexator can be somewhat temperamental with food. Once the base root area is comfortable then the acidity shouldn’t matter as long as it is in the 5.5-7 range. Again this is with the assumption that the plant is provided with the nutrients it needs. My research is solely based on over 10 years with myrciarias with minor dabbling with the other plinias.

All of the above is voided out with the application of chlorinated water. The ph of the water should be nearly the same as the soil 5.5-7. Lower would be fine as well. The death is chlorine though.

As for your beach sand, I have not researched that in relation to the plants of topic but I will do so soon as some people reported to me having this issue.

“That’s awesome, but I think his point was the vexator does well for him in the less acidic conditions he’s working with and wanted to capitalize on that by using it as a rootstock.

I love all these plinias and related plants, but I’ve got beach sand for soil and they’re a bit of a pain to take care of, would be nice to know if this was an option.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 09:12:04 PM by greg794855 »
Www.camucamufarms.com

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 10:21:22 AM »
Sabara works great as a rootstock here in San Diego where we have hard water and I also have Alkaline soil. Other varieties often get chlorotic leaves and the gardener will have to add sulfur and/or chelated iron and other nutrients to keep them happy.

Adam grafted a few different varieties onto Sabara rootstock for me and they do great but most of them are in pots. My larger Sabara on its own rootstock grows fine with my alkaline soil and hard water.

Simon

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 10:26:06 AM »
Here’s a zoomed out shot of the tree and a zoomed in shot of the leaves

The pH of my soil was around 7.6 and my tap water is around 8.
Simon

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 12:29:13 PM »
Here’s a zoomed out shot of the tree and a zoomed in shot of the leaves

The pH of my soil was around 7.6 and my tap water is around 8.
Simon

Wow, now that is high for sure. Beautiful plants btw!
Www.camucamufarms.com

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 09:14:14 PM »
That makes sense, my mistake. If that is the case I would highly suggest one of two options. Grafting or purchasing the materials for creating your own soil. I don’t have any grafted plinias because I would rather grow from seed and establish some sort of base knowledge on what the plants want and to what thresholds they can withstand. So far the most durable regarding feeding is M. Glazioviana followed by glomerata, guaquiea and dubia in no particular order. The vexator can be somewhat temperamental with food. Once the base root area is comfortable then the acidity shouldn’t matter as long as it is in the 5.5-7 range. Again this is with the assumption that the plant is provided with the nutrients it needs. My research is solely based on over 10 years with myrciarias with minor dabbling with the other plinias.

All of the above is voided out with the application of chlorinated water. The ph of the water should be nearly the same as the soil 5.5-7. Lower would be fine as well. The death is chlorine though.

As for your beach sand, I have not researched that in relation to the plants of topic but I will do so soon as some people reported to me having this issue.

“That’s awesome, but I think his point was the vexator does well for him in the less acidic conditions he’s working with and wanted to capitalize on that by using it as a rootstock.

[/quote]

Right on, I’ve wondered about the water if simply letting it sit first would be helpful and started doing that because I just acquired like 8 new 3gal Jabos and I’m hoping to keep em happy/healthy.  I should probably go the extra effort and test my water and soil tho, but I’m not certain if I’ll ever plant these out into the ground.

Beach sand is basically excessively well draining and calcareous, so probably about the opposite of what most Jabos and similar species want.  I haven’t planted out my little vexator yet, so idk how well it would do, but I hear similar reports of them handling the alkalinity better.

Seems everyone is growing these in straight peat or slightly amended peat, that’s not particularly similar to my native soil, so maybe I’m best just keeping any/all of these cool myrtacea in pots.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk