Author Topic: How to root mulberries  (Read 6856 times)

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
How to root mulberries
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:15:18 PM »
Hey guys, I have a Parkistan mulberry in the ground. A couple friends have been asking for some cuttings from it. Any advice as to how to root mulberry cuttings will be greatly appreciated. Pictures or videos will be even better. Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: How to root mulberries
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »
Hey guys, I have a Parkistan mulberry in the ground. A couple friends have been asking for some cuttings from it. Any advice as to how to root mulberry cuttings will be greatly appreciated. Pictures or videos will be even better. Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike

Make a cutting , stick in the ground , forget , done .....OK water once in a while .
No way you can screw up this one . Probably the easiest to propagate .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »
like Luc says mulberry are easy.. the one inch pakistan that PI sells roots easy the four inch packistan that Isons sells needs to be grafted. Excalibur has a green mulberry that is grafted. best way to find out stick some cuttings in small pots in the shade. we do them in the spring and summer
Mike

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 08:26:43 PM »
Hey Treesnmore,
I have the Parkistan mulberry sold in most CA nurseries and they are all from one wholesale nursery in CA that I can't think of the name now.
I am interested in the Isons's Parkistan that is 4 inchs long. Do you think it is the same as the one commonly found in CA, or a different one?

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 08:35:43 PM »
Is there a mulberry that is suited for Belize?  The ones I have seen there just had a few fruits on rather miserable looking plants that were reaching for the sky.  In Austin, TX, I saw mulberries heavy on a beautiful tree with a nice spreading form.  Even if I could only get half way to that tree in TX, it would still be a great tree to have.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:50:54 PM »
Take cuttings now when they are dormant. Stick them in the ground or in a pot and you will get about 100% takes. The only time I have had cuttings not root is when I tried them in the spring and summer. They seem to push leaves before they have a chance to root when it is warm out and they run out of energy.

Bass

• Pennsylvania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:00:33 AM »
I have been propagating mulberries for years. I have tried grafting, rooting dormant and greenwood cuttings. Dormant cuttings seem best, but its been hit or miss, depending on variety.
I did take several cuttings in winter and stuck about 10 pencil thick cuttings in the garden soil. In spring 1 took out of the 10.
In the greenhouse I can root them with bottom heat and mist. Greenwood cuttings have not been very successful to root.
Grafting is a guaranteed way, but not as easy for average grower.

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:32:30 AM »
My current understanding is Morus nigra is not easy to rrot while M alba is.

Also the Pakistani Black mulberry is a black form of M. alba.

I am growing what I believe is a selection of M. alba 'Pakistan Black'. My plants come from an original tree bought by the father of the man I bought this property from . He bought it at a nursery in 1924. I suspect it arrived with 20th century Hindustani workers. It is large and luscious.
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
like Luc says mulberry are easy.. the one inch pakistan that PI sells roots easy the four inch packistan that Isons sells needs to be grafted. Excalibur has a green mulberry that is grafted. best way to find out stick some cuttings in small pots in the shade. we do them in the spring and summer
Correct...for some reason, the green, or white, mulberry does not do well at all from cuttings.  All other varieties, from what I have seen, seem to do ok to excellent from cuttings.

If trying cuttings, I would not recommend just putting outside into shade as most likely the conditions, especially humidity, would not be sufficient.
- Rob

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »
Mike google packistan mulberry .the pictures look like isons. I do about three hundred a year.In a greenhouse with mist I also graft a few. you can do a few small cuttings four inch to ten inch in pots in the shade . do some now .do some in the spring you will get some to take.My colections one pine island packistan ,isons grafted packistan, excalaburs green grafted,hopkins gaint a dwarf, oak leaf some pictures

Mike

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »
Luc's method has worked well for me most times.  Last spring I took some cuttings that were starting to come out of dormancy, and they also rooted.   I sprayed the cuttings a couple times with that 51% phytofos stuff; that might have helped.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 10:37:43 PM »
Though some mulberries root super easily from cuttings, other mulberries don't, especially the Himalayan.
Har

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 12:06:23 AM »
I've all ways started my Pakistan from hardwood cuttings taken in winter when I prune, I cut 10" to 12" from tip and stick in tall pots with loose mix ( high pearlite mix) with two buds above mix. Come spring they start leafing out. This year had gopher get a couple young trees but I was able to strip off leaves and stick them as cuttings and there growing now! One of the varieties that they ( gophers) got was Japanese Mulberry morus australis and its growing again from cuttings. The only mulberry that I can't get started from a cutting is a Black Persian that I have. Have noticed over the years that when grafting mulberries it helps me to have a spray bottle with straight water, after I make cuts for graft if I spray away latex before sticking graft together and wrapping up, grafts seem to take better.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »
Is there a mulberry that is suited for Belize?  The ones I have seen there just had a few fruits on rather miserable looking plants that were reaching for the sky.  In Austin, TX, I saw mulberries heavy on a beautiful tree with a nice spreading form.  Even if I could only get half way to that tree in TX, it would still be a great tree to have.

Same thing here Red , very poor fruiting and the birds get most on top of it , I will plant some more in full sun on the new lot , still not sure about watering...how do you folks handle that ....lots or little water ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 11:53:33 AM »
Oh, one thing about rooting mulberries...

although the cuttings will look happy for over 2 months and push out new growth (over 6 inch of green wood and fully formed leaves)...this doesn't mean they're rooted yet!

I've had cuttings that I swore, had to be rooted, because of how much they grew!

When it came time to repot, the roots were barely formed!

White mulberry takes long time to root for us, and we put them in 10 gal pots, about 10 cuttings per pot, no hormone, in deep shade, watered daily during the warm season.

About 40% survive.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 11:56:12 AM »
Yes, I bet there is a mulberry you could grow that's much better!

Keep looking.

Mulberry can handle floods or drought it seems like (by me)

So I'd say give them ample water during the growing season, especially if your area is super dry.

Same thing here Red , very poor fruiting and the birds get most on top of it , I will plant some more in full sun on the new lot , still not sure about watering...how do you folks handle that ....lots or little water ?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 02:54:30 AM »
Oh, one thing about rooting mulberries...

although the cuttings will look happy for over 2 months and push out new growth (over 6 inch of green wood and fully formed leaves)...this doesn't mean they're rooted yet!

I've had cuttings that I swore, had to be rooted, because of how much they grew!

When it came time to repot, the roots were barely formed!

White mulberry takes long time to root for us, and we put them in 10 gal pots, about 10 cuttings per pot, no hormone, in deep shade, watered daily during the warm season.

About 40% survive.
You're so right. I start maybe 8 cuttings every year and so far only have one black M. alba, which was an extra that I buried horizontally next to my white sapote in the lawn. I understand that the nigra and alba has to do with the color of the bark and not the color of the fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk