Author Topic: Wood shaving in potting mix?  (Read 976 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Wood shaving in potting mix?
« on: July 13, 2020, 06:32:45 PM »
Just got some untreated oak wood shavings and am wondering if it is any good to put in potting mix. I know oak is high in tannins. Is there any benefit of putting it in potting mix?

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Wood shaving in potting mix?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 05:49:39 AM »
If you listen to Laguna Hills Nursery (videos on YouTube), you shouldn’t use any wood products (compost) in potting soil. 
I’ve just started to trial this recommendation, which is basically contrary to the entire Ag industry (potting soil companies). 
I’m using 50% peat moss and 50% pumice (alternate equivalent coarse perlite is easier to get than crushed pumice) for potting soil.  There is another potting soil mixture of 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 crushed pumice (or coarse perlite), and 1/3 sand, charcoal, and clay that results in less compaction over time.
btw... they recommend sand as the best growing media, but that weighs a ton.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:00:21 AM by wslau »
Warren

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 11:26:20 AM »
I would try to not use fresh wood shavings/sawdust in potting soil but I would consider spreading it under trees with microorganisms to slowly break it down, convert into food for your fruit trees.
I do use composted wood, coir, clay, charcoal and sand or rock dust as ingredients in potting soil.  To use a lot of spagham, perlite, etc. you will need more chemicals and the other thing is that if you are going to plant the trees out then they will be going into a soil that will be very different from what’s in the pot.  That doesn’t seem good to me.
Peter

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 12:01:06 PM »
If you listen to Laguna Hills Nursery (videos on YouTube), you shouldn’t use any wood products (compost) in potting soil. 
I’ve just started to trial this recommendation, which is basically contrary to the entire Ag industry (potting soil companies). 
I’m using 50% peat moss and 50% pumice (alternate equivalent coarse perlite is easier to get than crushed pumice) for potting soil.  There is another potting soil mixture of 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 crushed pumice (or coarse perlite), and 1/3 sand, charcoal, and clay that results in less compaction over time.
btw... they recommend sand as the best growing media, but that weighs a ton.
For Sand, I heard that it has to be coarse sand as common sand is too fine and results in increased water retention and poor drainage. 
Do you know any good source of coarse sand in orange county?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 02:15:37 PM »
Beach sand is coarse.
You can buy all purpose sand then shift out the coarse sand.

I’m trying to minimize watering so I’m using plaster sand.
Still need to water peach and medium cherimoya every day.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 06:12:09 PM »
If you are trying to minimize watering then why don’t you use clay? Sand dries out waaay faster than clay.  Sand serves a purpose but it’s hard for me to think of a medium that needs more watering.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 06:43:57 PM »
I wouldnt use oak because of the danger of spreading Armillaria.
Also if you mix wood with soil,you deplete you soil of Nitrogen( at first) as wood doesnt contains nitrogen,just a lot of carbon.
In order to be composted it needs a lot of nitrogen and bacteria,fungus,will take all the nitrogen for themselves to break down the wood and you either add more N to the pot or your plant will starve.