Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Annonaceae that are temperate

(1/8) > >>

Perplexed:
What genera are temperate? Other than pawpaw.

KarenRei:
Oh geez... I'll try to remember this thread when I get home, I have a whole database of this sort of stuff.  :)

Perplexed:
Alright thanks, the only problem If I do find them is the source of seeds

Triloba Tracker:
What u got up your sleeve?

I wasn't aware of any temperate annonaceae genera other than Asimina but I'm no expert whatsoever. As vast as the plant kingdom is, i'm likely to be overlooking a lot.

Now, we have some North American native Annona species like Annona glabra but of course it's not temperate (nor desirable for fruit).

KarenRei:
Awww..

Sorry to report, but I checked my database, and with 177 Annonaceae species in it, not a single one was even close to A. triloba in hardiness  :(  A. triloba's natural range averages a winter low of -4,9°C. The next closest I have is Polyalthia cerasoides, but its average winter low is 7,4°C, followed by Annona longiflora (8,4°C), Annona stenophylla (8,7°C), Annona rugulosa (9°C), Guatteria carchiana (9,6°C; afaik not edible), Xylopia odoratissima (9,7°C), and Annona cherimola (10,5°C).  So basically you have one standout, and things jump straight to "pretty tropical".

(My data in this regard comes from a program I wrote that crossreferences edible species lists, GBIF habitat data, and IPCC climate data)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version