Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

got to try Cosmic Crisp and SugarBee apples today

(1/2) > >>

brian:
My grocery store had them both.  $2.99 a pound, as expensive as it gets.  Both are huge apples.

Cosmic Crisp is really good, crisp and juicy.  Not sure if its as good as Pink Lady at its best, though.  Would definitely buy again if the price was lower or no other good options.

SugarBee was similar to Cosmic Crisp but simply not as good.  It is sweeter but doesn't taste better.  Would not buy again.

NateTheGreat:
I got some at Costco a couple months ago. Skin was really thick, flesh sweet, but not outstanding. I prefer slightly under-ripe Fuji.

NateTheGreat:

--- Quote from: NateTheGreat on February 16, 2020, 11:57:41 AM ---I got some Cosmic Crisp at Costco a couple months ago. Skin was really thick, flesh sweet, but not outstanding. I prefer slightly under-ripe Fuji.

--- End quote ---

Oolie:
Certainly apples get more expensive. The US exports its best to Japan, and there they pay a lot, a domestic apple would run 500 yen or nearly 5 USD. In specialty shops you can get more expensive gift fruit.

I tried the 2.5 a pound CC from Costco, and they are good. Hard texture, juicy, good acid balance and appropriate sweetness, but the flavor while not bad wasn't as good as Fuji or Cripps Pink as mentioned. Cripps has a short shelf life and gets soft, fluffy textured easily, while Fuji has an inferior color if that's your thing. Overall, I'd save the money for other apples, maybe oranges ;)

Triloba Tracker:
I also recently tried Cosmic Crisp, after seeing a mention of it somewhere here on the forum.

It definitely was crisp but it was not a mind-blower. Actually i bought a bag of organic Jazz apples last week, and those were better - pretty great apple.

Though i'll say i'm not a big apple eater or connoisseur.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version