Author Topic: who grows Kwai Muk?!  (Read 5275 times)

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
who grows Kwai Muk?!
« on: November 22, 2013, 02:14:45 AM »
Hey everyone.

I wanted to get an idea of who grows kwai muk. What has your experience been, fast, slow or moderate growth rate? fertilizer application and climate in which you grow it.
Does it fruit for you? How do you like the fruit? Can you post any pictures of your tree?

I have a seedling plant myself, that grows pretty well when it wants to.. I'm trying to unlock the secret to good growth of this plant.

Thanks!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: who grows Kwai Muk?!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 02:54:22 AM »
Hey everyone.

I wanted to get an idea of who grows kwai muk. What has your experience been, fast, slow or moderate growth rate? fertilizer application and climate in which you grow it.
Does it fruit for you? How do you like the fruit? Can you post any pictures of your tree?

I have a seedling plant myself, that grows pretty well when it wants to.. I'm trying to unlock the secret to good growth of this plant.

Thanks!

I've got a couple of trees in the ground. They are quite slow to germinate and grow at first, but then pick up speed. Problem is that they have a very long juvenille period. Mine are about 10 years old and have only just started to fruit. They are prime candidates for grafting, otherwise you've got a very long wait ahead of you. The fruits are small but nice tasting. If you do the google search on bottom of forum page you can find a few threads we already had on this subject, including photos.
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 04:53:29 AM »
I have one plant, which is growing fast ant vigorous so far. This plant is 3 years old, has been for 2 years in ground.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 04:58:52 AM »
I have one plant, which is growing fast ant vigorous so far. This plant is 3 years old, has been for 2 years in ground.

Geeezzzz Felipe what do you do to them???  :o :o :o

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 08:43:33 AM »
I had Kwai Muk.  Once it is established, it is a very fast growing tree.  The tree was about 25 feet and way too close to my house.  :o  It is on the bottom of my fruit list.  You might like it if you like very acid fruits and don't have anything else to eat at that moment!  ;D  Also it has large seeds and not too much flesh.
Adiel

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 09:29:38 AM »
Our Kwai muk is 8 yrs old...cut a big java plum down planted it at the 6ft stump area...30plus feet now fruit more than once a year...some fruits almost get the size of a tennis ball. I really do love these 2 to five a day..every morning go check on ground for fallen fruits..sour sweet when ripe...for me this one grew the tallest so far in this orchard of kuini, rambutan, longon, durian,  Mafai, Spanish lime, keledang.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 11:09:15 AM »
My single tree kept his fruit for the first time this year , fruit was excellent , very very sweet , unfortunately small golfball size . Was worth the long wait. I gotta get some seeds from Micah ....tennis ball size !!!!
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 12:02:36 PM »
Kwai muk tastes very good in my opinion, nice sweet/acid blend, kind of like apricots and tangerines mixed together.  Not too much latex either.  I have a couple grafted ones that bloomed last year but all male.  I also have some seedlings that did start out very slow but at 3 years old are really starting to take off.

Good luck, it is a good fruit for sure.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 03:02:09 PM »
Mine is 6/7 years single tree , starts flowering 2 years ago, last year I got 2 fruits, this year sets over 100 but most of them fall out prematurely, great mix of sweet/ tangy flavour exotic pink color flesh, very weird
Texture flesh, to me doesn't taste like a fresh fruit, but more like if I was eating a dehydrated apricot!
Way to go , if you want to have a out of ordinary fruit!
El verde es vida!

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »
Wow, thank you everyone for all of your experience and info with kwai muk, and the pictures too!  Mine is doing well, but growing slowly. I know some plants don't like chemical fertilizers. ( a mistake i made with macadamia).  So I'll just be patient and wait for the slow but steady growth

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 07:06:10 PM »
I took these pics today.  It is flowering for the first time. 
It is about 10 ft tall.  I bought it a year and a half ago from the Broward rare fruit and vegetable sale as a huge 5 gal. I think it was supplied by Excalibur.  If it was grafted, evidence of the graft had disappeared before I bought it.

Sorry for the side ways pic, phone posting.

Brandon

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 04:04:11 AM »
My kwai muk appears to suffer branch die back. Though it is the older branches that are affected - not the newer. It's also happening at a strange time (middle of autumn/fall) and temps are still warm here.

Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 06:35:54 AM »
Edit: Just realized how old this post was. I'll leave my post anyway, might be interesting to someone. Sorry Mango Stein, don't know the answer to your question.

I had a decent one about 7ft tall and only about three years old I think. It grew fast and had a lot of male flowers but hadn't fruited at the time of its demise (I had to move it and it suffered).

Thought I would share this pic of a decent specimen at the local botanical gardens.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:38:02 AM by Ulfr »

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 03:53:57 AM »
Do you need to plant two trees for them to cross polinate & set fruit?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 05:05:51 AM »
Do you need to plant two trees for them to cross polinate & set fruit?
No
Oscar