Author Topic: Leaving fruit on young lemon tree  (Read 4316 times)

Wisner

• Southwest Louisiana zone 9a
    • View Profile
Leaving fruit on young lemon tree
« on: May 03, 2018, 01:24:56 PM »
  I have 2 Meyers lemons that I started from cuttings.  Last year I removed all the small lemons from them.  This year they have many small lemons.  They are nice sized trees for their age.  How many lemons should I allow to grow on them or should I remove them all ?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Leaving fruit on young lemon tree
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 08:59:24 PM »
If your Meyer lemons trees are nice size, I would do no thinning  Your tree will retain only the amount of fruit that the tree is capable of bring to maturity.   If you do decide to thin the crop, I would wait until after the early drop period is over.  For a Meyer lemon tree the natural progression is: flowering, original fruit set, early fruit drop, a little June drop,  then fruit sizing and maturity period.  There is no rush to do any thinning if you later on decide to remove some fruit.

Wisner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 10:24:02 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I have removed a lot of them, but will leave the rest alone for now.

Nanasato

• Nanasato
    • us
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 03:10:05 AM »
I'm looking for this information, it's the information I'm looking for.

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 08:24:43 AM »
I have a small meyer lemon tree....i let 5 fruits form in the first year and they are all full size now and beginning to ripen..........next year when the tree is bigger i will let a few more than that form..........i dont wait for the tree to drop stuff..........i thin the flowers out all around the tree and create individual fruit ....unbunched.......away from each other.....no neighbours..........works for me........let the tree develop a canopy to support the fruit....each season allow a few more to grow.....you want quality....not quantity and lemons are particularly over greedy flower setters. ...smell nice mind.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 08:26:57 AM by laidbackdood »

Wisner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 11:13:51 PM »
Thanks for the info dood.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 02:39:08 AM »
no probs......i will post a pic.......i have a small tree but the 5 lemons look really good on it.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 03:54:12 AM »
3 on the front....1 on the back..1 on side.....dwarf meyer....I like terracotta ,even in our hot climate.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:16:46 AM by laidbackdood »

Wisner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:59:03 PM »
   It looks good and healthy.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 04:07:14 PM »
Kaidback, in a hot climate terracotta is a good choice as water passes through the container keeping the medium cool on hot days.  Plus it is a good looking container.

Linh

• USA, California, Westminster, zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 01:25:24 AM »
You guys probably going to yell at me for this
I have this one for over two years
Always give me few fruits each year
I don’t know how it has been able to support it self
The fruits look too nice to pick it

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 10:38:21 AM »
meyer can do that.....i had a tree years ago with 50 fruits on it and i had already taken 20 odd........it was a dwarf tree too........my neighbor said it had more lemons  than leaves....I will try to post a pic.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 10:51:33 AM »
Thanks millet.......my big meyer was a bit demanding for water in the summer mind ...with the terracotta........In spring its going in an even bigger terracotta pot ! here is that pic from Auckland......a good few years back.......i used to get an indian lady after them and people used to stop and take pic s !

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »
Amazing tree!  More amazing is that people don't just take the fruit planted as it is next to the sidewalk. Does this tree produce like this every year?
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 11:06:52 AM »
Amazing tree!  More amazing is that people don't just take the fruit planted as it is next to the sidewalk. Does this tree produce like this every year?
I had a mandarin near it as well........what happened with that tree was quite strange........I lived with my ex and her parents and the tree never did very well......we split and she took her parents away.......I pruned the tree hard.......my next door neighbour thought it was severe and would probably die.........It went nuts !..............only once did i get people helping themselves to my mandarin and i spat the dummy on them and there were 5 or 6 of them too........with a young boy....doing work on next doors house...........Nobody ever stole my lemons but i had an indian lady come a knocking asking if she could have a few..........I left that house in 2012 ....so i have no idea how its going now....but that tree came to life when that lot left !
     I also had two feijoa trees on that front lawn...one was a standard feijos and the other was an Apollo (Best variety for me).....I once had a feijoa of that ...that was the size of a big triumph pear....it was bloody huge and full of goey pulp to within 5 mm of the skin.....only happened once but she was huge.........I cant get an apollo over here because WA wont allow them over from eastern Australia....which pisses me off because feioas are already here ! but no variety of choice....You can actually see some of the branches of the feijoa in the back ground but in front of the car........I had two of them which i bought as metre high trees.........lived at a house for 4 or 5 years........moved to this house.....dug them both up and stuck them in my car.....my whole car was full of trees...could only use my side mirrors.......then stuck em in there.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:15:47 AM by laidbackdood »

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 04:54:05 AM »
Could you buy a regular keyboard, with ".?,;:!" and so on?
. and ... means two very different things.

Thank you.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 07:07:26 AM »
Could you buy a regular keyboard, with ".?,;:!" and so on?
. and ... means two very different things.

Thank you.
hahah....I have a regular keyboard and i do what i want with it dood. :o