Author Topic: with alot of this Nuclear talk.:( what fruit or plant helps detox our bodies?  (Read 4254 times)

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
im sure most plants/fruits help a little...is there any that are extremely useful?
someone told me coconuts...then someone else told me coco's are not good as they absorb the bad stuff in the nuts?

Illia

• Washington, USA 8b
    • View Profile
Personally I say go with anything rich in lycopene (guavas for example) and have some form of Annona from time to time, but not the leaves and not a lot.
Growing tropical edibles in a non-tropical place. Always hungry to add more to my collection too!

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
To help remove heavy metals from cells, you want to eat lots of Cilantro,  during that chelation its important to remove these released toxins and heavy metals from the body.  its recommended to use closed cell spirulina / chlorella  ,   of course other "cleaners" like Burdock, dandelion, etc can be used.

If you know radiation is imminent ,  saturating your body ( not overdosing )  with potassium Iodide, is the trick, this helps prevent your thyroid from absorbing radioactive Iodide from foods.

Other herbs / plants

Reishi mushrooms
Ashwaghanda

And yes coconut oil. 

of course you want to make sure non of what you are taking is radioactive.

the immune system can be compromised by exposure to radiation,  so eating plants high in antioxidants,  or herbs that work with the bodies immune system is important.

If I was exposed to harmful levels of radiation, i would go on a veggie / fruit  juicing program combined with chelation, and detox herbs. and stay on it for a long while. 

Oh I forgot Fulvic / Humic acids.  I believe these work like the Cilantro, help move minerals in and out of cells, its why they are also good for plants.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:00:35 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
I'm already on the Fukushima diet.  :o
Haven't heard any pros or cons about coconuts, but my guess would be that they are very good due to high enzyme count, helping to hydrate your body, and exercise in climbing the trees.
Especially good plants to eat are seaweeds. You just want to make sure they aren't coming from Japan or Korea. Get dulse from north Atlantic or seaweed from Norway.
Other good plants to eat are herbs with lots of essential oils, like sage, thyme, rosemary, etc. Cilantro, already mentioned by William, is also very good, and i think so tasty!
A lot of people recommend spirulina and chlorella. Personally i can't bring myself to eat them lower life forms. :o But i don't doubt they are good. Again make sure they aren't produced in Japan. Spirulina from Big Island probably the best.
Just eat a lot of locally grown fruits and vegetables, hopefully of your own growing, if not  then locally and organically grown. Don't buy produce from the mainland, especially California. They are in jet stream that goes directly from Japan to west coast USA.
Things to stay away from: fish or any other sea creatures. Actually any animal products, such as meat or milk or milk products, even locally produced, have the highest chance of being contaminated. The higher up in the food chain you go the more the animal may have consumed radio active isotopes and stored them in their body.
I wouldn't take any potassium iodide tablets unless you know for sure radioactive iodine is about. Don't think they're very good to take all the time, only in dire emergencies. Best to have some on hand...just in case. How do you know when to take them? Most people say to wait for your government to announce it. HAHAHA  I wouldn't put too much faith on that! And by the time they do it might be too late. Better to get your own geiger counter. Unfortunately the iodide tablets only help with radioactive iodide and to protect your thyroid gland. They won't protect you against any other type of radiation or any other part of your body. Good to stay indoors during radioactive fallout.
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Dandelion roots, Chicory roots, Turmeric, Ginger, Tulsi Basil, Garlic, Horse Radish
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Okay, first off...

I'm in general opposed to nuclear power and have been very critical in the Fukushima thread.  But let's stop and think for a moment.  The stuff that's leaking is 8.000.000 times the safe drinking level, right?  Okay.  But the Pacific ocean is 187.000.000.000.000.000.000 gallons. And of course the Pacific isn't isolated, all of the world's oceans are connected, leading to a total of 326.000.000.000.000.000.000 gallons.  That means that to render the Pacific ocean at having levels of radioactivity that would be unsafe to drink *as your sole source of water every day*, you'd have to dump 40.000.000.000.000 (40 trillion) gallons of that stuff in.  Needless to say, there is not 40 trillion gallons of it stored at Fukushima, nor 40 billion, or even 40 million.  Not to mention that it would take so long to cross the pacific that it would be far less radioactive on the other side.

People hear about "scientists detecting radiation in the US".  But you wouldn't believe the lengths they have to go to be able to detect it.  It's like saying, "scientists detect a magnitude 1 earthquake in Los Angeles from San Francisco".  The level of stuff they're detecting is dwarfed by natural radioactive substances millions to billions of times over.

But if that's not enough for you, consider this: The Soviets had horribly lax nuclear controls, especially in the early days, and there are rivers in Russia that even *today* continuously dump high levels of radioisotopes into the arctic.  They've ditched whole nuclear reactors in the oceans (the US never has admitted to, but who knows).  There've been nuclear powered satellites that have crashed into the oceans.  Again, we're talking *entire reactors*, not just cooling water from years after the reactor was shut down.  And of course, should I bother bringing up that both sides detonated hundreds of nuclear bombs *in the atmosphere*, changing the atmosphere's isotope ratio so much that future scientists will no longer be able to reliably carbon date artifacts from the 20th century? 

Nuclear accidents really, really suck.... near where the accident occurs.  But as much of a concentrated punch that radioisotopes pack, the world is really, really, REALLY big.

Okay.... now, all that said.

The most widely recognized dietary substance for fighting radiation is iodine.  This works because there's several radioactive iodine isotopes associated with nuclear accidents and the body tends to store iodine; however, if you've already consumed enough iodine, your body won't store any more.  Caveat: if you're getting your idione from food, it's generally from seafood products, especially seaweeds and the like, which are not unlikely to be produced in... wait for it.. .Japan  ;)  So it's better to go with simple iodine supplements.  Of course, even ignoring the massive dilution problem, the fact is that radioactive iodine is generally a short-term problem, not a long-term one.  The different isotopes have different lifespans, but in general the iodine threat is primarily in the days-to-weeks after the accident timeframe.

For acute exposure, vitamin E is thought to have the same benefit for radiation burns as for regular burns.  But of course, we're not talking about acute exposure here.  Actually, we're not even talking about any exposure here, really.

There's a wide range of other isotopes besides iodine that can cause problems - of strontium, of cesium, etc.  In general, "cause problems" means get stored in your body.  An atom outside your body has very little odds of breaking down when you're near it, but if it's in you, you're near 100% guaranteed to get the damage from its decomposition, so what gets stored in the body is orders of magnitude more dangerous.  If a person has high levels of stored radioisotopes in their body, the current standard medical treatment is indeed chelation therapy.  However, not with just random chelators, but targeted chelators - prussian blue, DTPA, etc.  The problem here is that you *don't* want to be taking them unless you have high levels of radioisotopes in your body.  Even the more selective chelators still will bind with and remove minerals you *don't* want removed from your body.

Going whole-hog on trying to consume things for radiation treatment when you're not exposed is sort of like taking chemotherapy when you don't have cancer - "just in case".
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:00:29 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
nice lengthy post...but WTF....

where's the fruit?

I don't like the taste off topic rants in my fruit.

Okay, first off...

I'm in general opposed to nuclear power and have been very critical in the Fukushima thread.  But let's stop and think for a moment.  The stuff that's leaking is 8.000.000 times the safe drinking level, right?  Okay.  But the Pacific ocean is 187.000.000.000.000.000.000 gallons. And of course the Pacific isn't isolated, all of the world's oceans are connected, leading to a total of 326.000.000.000.000.000.000 gallons.  That means that to render the Pacific ocean at having levels of radioactivity that would be unsafe to drink *as your sole source of water every day*, you'd have to dump 40.000.000.000.000 (40 trillion) gallons of that stuff in.  Needless to say, there is not 40 trillion gallons of it stored at Fukushima, nor 40 billion, or even 40 million.  Not to mention that it would take so long to cross the pacific that it would be far less radioactive on the other side.

People hear about "scientists detecting radiation in the US".  But you wouldn't believe the lengths they have to go to be able to detect it.  It's like saying, "scientists detect a magnitude 1 earthquake in Los Angeles from San Francisco".  The level of stuff they're detecting is dwarfed by natural radioactive substances millions to billions of times over.

But if that's not enough for you, consider this: The Soviets had horribly lax nuclear controls, especially in the early days, and there are rivers in Russia that even *today* continuously dump high levels of radioisotopes into the arctic.  They've ditched whole nuclear reactors in the oceans (the US never has admitted to, but who knows).  There've been nuclear powered satellites that have crashed into the oceans.  Again, we're talking *entire reactors*, not just cooling water from years after the reactor was shut down.  And of course, should I bother bringing up that both sides detonated hundreds of nuclear bombs *in the atmosphere*, changing the atmosphere's isotope ratio so much that future scientists will no longer be able to reliably carbon date artifacts from the 20th century? 

Nuclear accidents really, really suck.... near where the accident occurs.  But as much of a concentrated punch that radioisotopes pack, the world is really, really, REALLY big.

Okay.... now, all that said.

The most widely recognized dietary substance for fighting radiation is iodine.  This works because there's several radioactive iodine isotopes associated with nuclear accidents and the body tends to store iodine; however, if you've already consumed enough iodine, your body won't store any more.  Caveat: if you're getting your idione from food, it's generally from seafood products, especially seaweeds and the like, which are not unlikely to be produced in... wait for it.. .Japan  ;)  So it's better to go with simple iodine supplements.  Of course, even ignoring the massive dilution problem, the fact is that radioactive iodine is generally a short-term problem, not a long-term one.  The different isotopes have different lifespans, but in general the iodine threat is primarily in the days-to-weeks after the accident timeframe.

For acute exposure, vitamin E is thought to have the same benefit for radiation burns as for regular burns.  But of course, we're not talking about acute exposure here.  Actually, we're not even talking about any exposure here, really.

There's a wide range of other isotopes besides iodine that can cause problems - of strontium, of cesium, etc.  In general, "cause problems" means get stored in your body.  An atom outside your body has very little odds of breaking down when you're near it, but if it's in you, you're near 100% guaranteed to get the damage from its decomposition, so what gets stored in the body is orders of magnitude more dangerous.  If a person has high levels of stored radioisotopes in their body, the current standard medical treatment is indeed chelation therapy.  However, not with just random chelators, but targeted chelators - prussian blue, DTPA, etc.  The problem here is that you *don't* want to be taking them unless you have high levels of radioisotopes in your body.  Even the more selective chelators still will bind with and remove minerals you *don't* want removed from your body.

Going whole-hog on trying to consume things for radiation treatment when you're not exposed is sort of like taking chemotherapy when you don't have cancer - "just in case".
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
A very good iodine supplement is Lugol's solution, has been around for years. I can vouch for this Lugol's seller, he is honest and others (in yahoo groups) know him as honest.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/the_full_orchestra/m.html

I take iodine to help protect thyroid against fluorides (in water) and chlorinated water and for general thyroid health
Ultimate iodine supplement is nascent iodine but it is expensive. If you have the money get this. It goes down nice and easy

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
nice lengthy post...but WTF....

where's the fruit?

I don't like the taste off topic rants in my fruit.

That was on-topic to the thread.  Or, if you want a more concise response to "with alot of this Nuclear talk.:(what fruit or plant helps detox our bodies:", it would be "None".  But I prefer to explain why instead of just giving a one-word response.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Tropicdude

• View Profile
Karen I agree with you,  living in fear is no life,  I do believe in being prepared but not to the point, where it interferes with normal life.

we all have a spare tire in our cars, not because we expect to get a flat every time we take a drive, but because we know a flat could happen.

I have potassium Iodide tablets,  never opened them,  but have them just in case,  I also keep charcoal tablets around in case I accidentally ingest a toxic substance or my kids.  never opened.

I would not regularly supplement with Iodide,  unless you know your low in it.

Toxic substances can build up in your body over time.  so even a low dose of radioactive substance if stored in the body long enough, raises the risk of getting cancer.   combine that with all the other crappola we breath, and eat ( intentionally or not ). its a good idea in my opinion to do a regular body cleanse. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
I doubt that any level of fruit consumption would help you detox radio active material. The level of exposure to have an adverse impact is very different from the level where radiation from a specific source is detectable. Many people find it hard to stand back and adjust their focus and consider the genuine level of threat.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
That was on-topic to the thread.  Or, if you want a more concise response to "with alot of this Nuclear talk.:(what fruit or plant helps detox our bodies:", it would be "None".  But I prefer to explain why instead of just giving a one-word response.

Yours was a great response, having said that......

Eating some of that Japanese seafood gives new meaning to the morning phrase - "rise and shine honey!"  :)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Talk is cheap especially when it's driven by feelings and not facts.....parroted on the internet and social media. 

Aint gonna "what if" my way through life, and ya'll need to get your annual physical with a full blood comp profile to see how things are really going with ya. ;)

Tropicdude

• View Profile
Japan may finally get its wish of Godzilla. 
William

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Japan may finally get its wish of Godzilla.

Wonder how much you could freak TEPCO workers out off the coast near the power plant with a minisub, several large tanks of helium/air, and a realistic godzilla parade float.  Oh, and a set of concealed loudspeakers for added effect.  ;)