Author Topic: Red Custard Apples Florida  (Read 23236 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Red Custard Apples Florida
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
I picked up some Red Custard apples  (Annona reticulata} today (Feb15th) from a friend who is growing them in Parkland FL.  These beauties weighed from 1.5 to almost 2 lbs each. He has been harvesting them for the past 3 weeks. They have a little grit but are very sweet and have a flavor similar to birthday cake, which is what I call them. The trees were grafted and not identified but I think the cultivar may be Sarteneja. The trees are very prolific and there are at least 40 large fruits on each tree. I'll take photos of the them later on. How many of you are growing Custard apples and which cultivars? 
FGM                     

By the way.. forgot to mention...NICE PICTURES!!! Did u take them!!!

I want that one blown up on my wall!!! :)

No joke!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
Yes those are my photos. Took them on top of the stove and that is a fresh banana leaf in the background for contrast. 
FloridaGreenMan

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
In the mid-1980's, Laurence Zill, sometimes accompanied by his son Gary, collected red Annona reticulata varieties in Belize and northern Guatemala.  These Custard-Apple varieties he usually named after the town or community where he got graftwood.  These included 'Sarteneja' from the town of Sartenaja, 'Chonox,' 'Benque,' 'Canul,' and 'San Pablo,' all from Belize (so not from a state of Brazil), and Tikal (not from the actual ruins).   Gary Zill later returned alone to northern Guatemala and collected the 'El Remate,' 'Tart,' and 'León,' named in honor of Dr. Jorge León, eminent plant collector in Central America, who provided us with a lot of initial guidance.

The Zills sent me to western Guatemala several times.  I collected varieties of ilama, Annona diversifolia, including 'Genova Red,' and Genova White,' both from the town of Genova, 'Guillermo' from the yard of a man by that name near Retahuleu, and 'Pajapita' from the town of that name near the border with Mexico.

On cold hardiness--- several degrees of difference can be made by the general condition of the plant and the abscence or presence of other stressing factors, and by presence or lack of frost-nucleating bacteria or other particles.
Har

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »
In the mid-1980's, Laurence Zill, sometimes accompanied by his son Gary, collected red Annona reticulata varieties in Belize and northern Guatemala.  These Custard-Apple varieties he usually named after the town or community where he got graftwood.  These included 'Sarteneja' from the town of Sartenaja, 'Chonox,' 'Benque,' 'Canul,' and 'San Pablo,' all from Belize (so not from a state of Brazil), and Tikal (not from the actual ruins).   Gary Zill later returned alone to northern Guatemala and collected the 'El Remate,' 'Tart,' and 'León,' named in honor of Dr. Jorge León, eminent plant collector in Central America, who provided us with a lot of initial guidance.

The Zills sent me to western Guatemala several times.  I collected varieties of ilama, Annona diversifolia, including 'Genova Red,' and Genova White,' both from the town of Genova, 'Guillermo' from the yard of a man by that name near Retahuleu, and 'Pajapita' from the town of that name near the border with Mexico.

On cold hardiness--- several degrees of difference can be made by the general condition of the plant and the abscence or presence of other stressing factors, and by presence or lack of frost-nucleating bacteria or other particles.

Are these varieties available anywhere? It seems that only a few of all the varieties collected is still available?

Also, is the town in Belize called Sarteneja or Sarteneja? The only town in Belize that I've been able to find is Sarteneja. Would that change the common pronunciation of the fruit name?

http://sarteneja.net/

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 09:48:42 PM »
Sheehan,
You are right  about the spelling.  I admit I had never looked up the town of Sarteneja on the map.  It is in the Corozal district where Laurence Zill owned a farm for many years.

You are right that many of the varieties mentioned no longer seem to exist in Florida.  Some were only used to breed with.  Hopefully someone still has the 'Canul.'
'San Pablo' and 'Sarteneja' are still around.   'Benque', and 'Tikal,' under our care at least, were not productive enough to promote, although they had  vividly red flesh.  'Chonox' was not great tasting, but was a botanical curiosity as to the number of flowers per cluster.

'Pajapita', 'Genova Red', and 'Guillermo' still exist in Florida, most on pond-apple rootstock showing development of delayed incompatibility, but still producing loads of fruit, better than on most other rootsotcks.
Har

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 07:20:34 PM »
Har

I bought a Zill "Canul" many years and fruited it in Davie FL. The fruit was very nice but I moved to Coral Spgs and left the tree. I hope the current owners still have that tree.

Noel (FGM)
FloridaGreenMan

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 03:40:51 PM »
For flavor, what would be the best ones to grow in Florida?

Adiel
Adiel

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 07:43:06 PM »
Adiel
San Pablo, Canul, Tikal, Sarteneja are all nice. I found out today that the Custard Apple fruit pictured in the beginning of this thread was grafted from a large Custard apple tree that Richard Wilson grows on his property close to his house.

Sheehan
Do you know the name of the Excaliber red custard apple?       
FloridaGreenMan

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
Adiel
San Pablo, Canul, Tikal, Sarteneja are all nice. I found out today that the Custard Apple fruit pictured in the beginning of this thread was grafted from a large Custard apple tree that Richard Wilson grows on his property close to his house.

Sheehan

Excalibur's is the Sarteneja.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 09:15:42 PM »
Adiel

Sheehan

Noel

What rootstock do you guys use to graft custard apple? can you use cherimoya?

JF

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 10:12:42 PM »
Here it's best to use A. reticulata rootstock.  Cherimoya does not work well here but may be OK in Calif. 
FloridaGreenMan

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 11:11:19 PM »
Here it's best to use A. reticulata rootstock.  Cherimoya does not work well here but may be OK in Calif.

I will try to graft one on to  cherimoya seedling and see if it works. Now I have to find scion anyone want to make a donation ;D

JF

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 07:15:13 AM »
JF, please keep us updated! I also want to graft reticulata, but have only chirimoya rootstocks in pots...

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2012, 12:12:51 PM »
I picked up some Red Custard apples  (Annona reticulata} today (Feb15th) from a friend who is growing them in Parkland

http://s13.postimage.org/6qmg9mjub/Red_Custard_Feb2012_004.jpg[/img][/url]

Are these trees as cold tolerant as mango trees?? Beautiful fruit and has me interested. I emailed Lara Miami and he said one gallon specimens will ready this summer of  the  Fernandez Custard Apple (Chirimoya)
Lara photo--->>

Hi Zands and others, does anyone has access to these dark red Custard Apple scions? I would love to get a few, even if it means paying for it. Please let me know. 

Behl

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=315162141847437&set=pu.133447883352198&type=1&theater

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2012, 07:20:25 PM »
Hey Noel,

what is your old address?  seems like meeting the current owner is in order.

or maybe some quick tree trimming   

Andre

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2017, 07:49:52 AM »
Last spring I was given a custard apple tree that came from the RareFruitC. In Palm Beach..thay gave away quite a few...does anyone know what kind it is and how long to fruit??? IN PALM Beach County? ?
Www.sailing-charters.org

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2021, 08:59:07 PM »
I call it ‘Paradise Custard Apple.’

I believe it’s officially called ‘Fernandez Custard Apple.’

My Review:
I just love it served chilled.
It has none of those sandy, grainy pebbles.
When eaten hungry it tastes like paradise to me.
I got it from Lara Farms.

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2021, 08:11:07 AM »
Fruits from this one were distributed by Miami Fruit last year and I am planting out some seedlings this summer.
They are calling it Red Rane Custard Apple: