Author Topic: Starting from scratch  (Read 1204 times)

Rerod

• USA, FL Safety Harbor
    • View Profile
Starting from scratch
« on: June 07, 2016, 11:24:47 AM »
Long time lurker here introducing myself. Finally getting around to posting. Thanks to all for all the great information posted here. I started growing tropical fruit trees in Sebring, FL while i was in high school in the late 90s and then on and off through college while visiting the parents. I wasted a bit of money during this period as half of the plants didn't make it through the winter cold snaps. What is still there from the original plantings are guavas, mango seedlings (none of the purchased grafted ones survived), peaches, a tamarind that has never produced, a bunch of pineapples, a few citrus trees that are struggling, starfruit, seedling avocados (grafted have not survived), and a bunch of bananas/plantains. All of these have survived without any care to them other than the lawn irrigation. Fast forward 17 yrs and my wife and I have just purchased our first home and will be planting the yard out with fruit trees. Knocked down 7 norfolk pine to make room but have two huge oaks on the lot that are staying and may compete for sunlight in the future. We are in Safety Harbor Fl which is on the central west coast. I've been growing some fruit trees in containers for the last 5 years while renting and am now ready to put them in the ground. We also went to the Manatee tropical fruit tree sale a few weeks ago and loaded up with more trees. I am just getting into grafting mangos and look forward to creating some frankentrees. Here is what we are currently going to be putting in the ground. Looking forward to learning a lot from this group.

Low chill peach (can't remember variety but it taste great)
Low chill nectarine (cant remember variety)
Miami soursop
Red jabo
Rhino horn plantain
Mysore banana
American beauty dragon fruit
Sugarcane
Makok sapodilla
Loquat seedling from a vendor at the tree sale that said parent plant produced large/sweet fruit
Grape dream dunston black from d&b nursery
Acerola from pin unknown variery
Seedling passion fruit parent was purple variety from pin
Miracle fruit
Sweetheart lychee
Mango:
Keitt
Cac
Sweet tart
Fairchild
Unknown seedling with mahachanok graft from squam
Going to be getting a bankok lemon jackfruit when i stop by excalibur while I'm in miami for the mango festival
Looking for suggestions on an avocado or two ideally low to medium vigor and higher in oil content and a starfruit to round out the yard

Fairchild

Keitt

Sweet tart

Cac

Sweetheart lychee

Acerola

Low chill nectarine

makok sapodilla

Loquat seedling

Mysore banana

Rhino horn plantain

Red jabo

American beauty

Frankentree mango seedling with my first graft of maha chanok

Miracle fruit
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:39:59 PM by Rerod »

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Starting from scratch
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 11:34:27 AM »
Welcome Rerod.
Michael

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Starting from scratch
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 11:36:31 AM »
Sounds Great!  I'm in a similar state now where I have a new home and need to put in some trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk