Author Topic: 'Ewais' Mango flowering  (Read 3280 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
'Ewais' Mango flowering
« on: September 22, 2012, 09:36:49 PM »
Don't know if this is abnormal, but the 'Ewais' Mango is flowering and flushing new growth atm. Mangoes in the winter/spring?

Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: 'Ewais' Mango flowering
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 10:25:33 PM »
It's got to be abnormal, nullz - now let s see if anything sets, and if they do,
how do they ripen in the allotted warm time we have left before winter???

Hopefully it will straighten itself out next year!

FangMango

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 10:29:56 PM »
Yes, sounds like it is confused on it seasons.  How long have you had it?  Maybe it is adjusting from the seasons in Florida.

Bill

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 10:41:21 PM »
Yes, sounds like it is confused on it seasons.  How long have you had it?  Maybe it is adjusting from the seasons in Florida.

Bill

Its been CA grown, I believe the whole time... I got it from Roger Meyer about a year ago. I think there is a chance of winter mangoes, if the winter is mild and sunny with plenty of days in the 70s... I really think that the Mango is just really happy, its in a 12 gal superoot container. It gets the special treatment with; homemade compost tea, fish emulsion, kelp fertilizer. Plenty of water and sunshine.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:48:42 PM by nullzero »

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 02:49:27 AM »
My Nam Doc Mai is doing the same thing, Flushing and flowering at the same time now.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 01:40:36 PM »
My Nam Doc Mai is doing the same thing, Flushing and flowering at the same time now.

Maybe has to do with the hot temps we have been getting lately. Its been averaging in the high 80s the last few weeks. Today its going to be over 90 again and the forecast shows a continuation of the trend over 80s. This summer has been warm, but unusually warmer towards the end.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 01:42:23 PM by nullzero »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 08:11:47 PM »

Maybe has to do with the hot temps we have been getting lately. Its been averaging in the high 80s the last few weeks. Today its going to be over 90 again and the forecast shows a continuation of the trend over 80s. This summer has been warm, but unusually warmer towards the end.

Null

I had a Mallika on Christmas day last year but it was from the secondary flowers late July. MandoDog is right, it might be too late in the season unless you have a greenhouse.