Author Topic: Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?  (Read 17884 times)

JacksonWade

• usa
    • View Profile
Re: Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2020, 08:41:49 AM »
An aborist or tree removal expert will definitely know the things about a particular tree and the fruit. When they will grow and when to take it out from the trees.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2021, 03:04:27 AM »
Besides mom complaining on-and-off about less production (well the tree IS much smaller compared to before), I am really happy with what I have after nearly 6 years. Thanks to everyone's great tips and my friend's generosity with scions.

This year reed had less production, poor tree probably tried to distribute energy.
Jan Boyce on the other hand is fully loaded and cracked much less.
Sharwill has exactly one fruit, not able to keep up with other varieties at all.
I trimmed off Mexicola's large branch and left only a little bit of it, no fruit formed from flowers.
Good news, I finally grafted hass last spring and it shoots for the sky, successfully filling the center void. Let's see if it will flower soon.
I also grafted 2x gem branches but they are really shaded by hass thus barely growing.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

AnneColeman

• USA
    • View Profile
    • utm.com
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2021, 10:45:33 AM »
I see you understand this. It happened to me that the tree stopped letting its leaves altogether. Apparently I am that still a gardener, I took care of the tree incorrectly. I decided that there was no point in saving and that I needed to dig it up. So remove, to plant a new one. The professionals from Tree Service Antioch CA helped a lot. Before that, I cut down a tree, but then I realized that I could not cope with it myself. Now a nut is growing in that place. Everything is done for the best. If this happens, it is better to immediately contact those who are good at it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 05:37:04 AM by AnneColeman »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2021, 02:38:12 PM »
Congratulations on the success of converting your tree over the years. The Fuerte will continue to get larger and dominate the other varieties even more unless it is thoughtfully pruned.

You could severely prune back the Fuerte and then topwork the apical tips with Sharwil or another variety.

Simon

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2022, 02:33:59 AM »
The fruits distribution is roughly like this

35% Fuerte
30% Reed
15% Jan Boyce
15% Hass
5% misc

Sharwill was grafted at the very beginning but never produced more than one or two fruits. Hass is heavily loaded as a new comer.

The tree gets trimmed every single winter to keep the height under control. It's a full day project but manageable.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2022, 11:00:23 AM »
Thanks for posting great time line of top workering your tree sounds like you've got a multi-grafted nice avocado now congrats. 8)

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2022, 07:25:52 PM »
Thank you very much, yes I am very happy with the multi graft. It's a very compact tree now, the harvest season is much longer than before. No more costly major pruning = steady production within picker's reach.

Mexicola grande found a chance and grew a lot again, I will see how it fits in the harvest window. (Essentially looking for very early or very late varieties.) Gem and lamb hass grafts are growing slowly and it's OK.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 07:45:17 PM by funlul »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk