Author Topic: bananas keep failing under fruit load  (Read 2172 times)

VUgearhead

• Curiosity killed the vegan
    • South Florida, USA
    • View Profile
bananas keep failing under fruit load
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:03:08 AM »
Someone help me. I have a small patch of fingerling bananas (not sure what variety), from a pup a friend gave me. Trunks (stems) only grow 5-6 feet high. But almost every time, when they set an arm, the stems fail and I end up pulling less than mature arms off of failed plants.

What am I doing wrong? Is it a nutrient or water problem? The stems seem sturdy enough right up to when they fall over.

Someone give me a hand. I have yet to get them to ripen on the tree.
If you can eat it, GROW IT!!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: bananas keep failing under fruit load
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
Pictures would help.

You can prop them up as the fruit get larger to try and eliminate the llant falling.  Even if it falls, I would leave them on.  Alao, to harvest, once the top hand starts to color you can harvest the entire raceme and then hang it until the hands color.
- Rob

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:22:56 AM »
Many varieties need propping or the weight of the bunch can topple them.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »
I don't know about your neck of the woods, but here older banana root systems almost always become infested with a type of grub that eats the roots and bores up into the trunk of the tree. And, this almost always causes a fruiting tree to fall. This happens mostly after the plant has become established and has put out a number of pups that are allowed to mature. I always have 30 to 50 banana plants growing, but I don't allow a root system to produce more mature pups after it has one pup that matures and produces. Every time I stop a root system, I transplant a pup at least 20 to 30 meters away. This stops an infestation, and I never have to poison the ground to kill an infestation.

Having said all that, the REAL reason I responded to your post is out of curiosity. Why did you write that "curiosity killed the vegan"??? I'm a very curious old vegan.... but I'm not totally dead yet. LOL
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:50:04 AM by Doug »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 12:32:08 PM »
Prop up the stem with a 2x4 or buy 1/2" or 3/8" rope at Harbor Freight (about $4) and tie it to your other banana stems.  AKA banana rope-a-dope. Don't depend on nature. The stems sometimes need propping up.

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 01:32:11 PM »
Sounds like root system issues.

Make sure you don't have corn weevil as the person above stated

Biodiversity is key.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »
Prop up the stem with a 2x4 or buy 1/2" or 3/8" rope at Harbor Freight (about $4) and tie it to your other banana stems.  AKA banana rope-a-dope. Don't depend on nature. The stems sometimes need propping up.

You can make a much better prop out of PVC piping and a few cheap fittings
- Rob

VUgearhead

• Curiosity killed the vegan
    • South Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 04:30:13 PM »
I've never seen any sign of borer, but I'll check this stem when I cut it down. It is an older clump. The stem usually buckles mid-way up.
I'll try to get some pics posted.

If you can eat it, GROW IT!!

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:20 AM »
Rope around another nearby tree is an easy and efficient prop. Most of mine grow between coconut palms. I just throw a rope a bit higher on the coconut trunk than the banana, and clamp it taut, near the top of the banana stem. I include multiple stems in the same rope so there is tension between all of them, if there is more than 1 in the clump that are fruiting. Prevents wind damage during storms, and results in ripe bananas! Although it's not impossible, you're not describing pest issues - it sounds like it's purely a case of the fruit being too heavy for the stem. Particularly if you have other taller trees nearby, it's a very cheap and easy fix. In places like this where the soil is very difficult to penetrate because it's mostly coral rock, it's way easier to use rope than to try to drive something into the ground.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 06:10:58 AM »
This video is about growing plantains in Costa Rica, showing most of the process. At 8:00 minutes in you can see the extraordinary lengths he goes to tie them up in a complete spiderweb of twines. Makes sense to protect the investment. A pair of prop sticks tied together at the top works good along with the pseudostem positioned to form a tripod and you'll never lose a bunch to the ground in winds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj9sh1dHIkU&t=2s

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 07:33:30 AM »
I've never had a mini banana that could stand the weight of a full bunch . I have always propped them up with a PT 1x2, it works for me.

Regards,

Gary