Author Topic: Return to the earth  (Read 5947 times)

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
Return to the earth
« on: February 28, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »
Put a mango tree above me and return me to the earth. 

http://www.earthporm.com/bye-bye-coffins-these-organic-burial-pods-turn-your-loved-ones-into-trees/

My only rule:  No budwood for Sheehan from my death tree
George

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Return to the earth
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 03:46:19 PM »
Good idea. But why not speed up the process and cut down on expense by just spreading someone's ashes under a tree? Cuts down on work and energy of making burial pod and of making huge hole in the ground. Also makes more sense to me than spreading someone's ashes in the ocean, like a lot of people are doing nowadays.
Oscar

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:55:35 PM »
I think the idea is to start fresh with a new tree, rather than fertilize an existing tree.
But, there are companies that will provide bio urn services for this purpose too.  A big pod with a dead body strikes me as slightly odd.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:02:16 PM »
I think the idea is to start fresh with a new tree, rather than fertilize an existing tree.
But, there are companies that will provide bio urn services for this purpose too.  A big pod with a dead body strikes me as slightly odd.

Ashes can fertilize a new tree just as well as an old existing trees. What is so environmental about having to build a huge pod? Isn't that pod also made from a tree? And how much energy is needed to make a huge enough hole to bury a whole body, as opposed to burying ashes?
Only real problem with ashes is that some religions prohibit cremation. For example, if you are orthodox jewish you can't opt out for cremation.
Oscar

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 09:48:39 PM »
I've thought about this my last rite, but personally I don't like the idea of a pod with my body in it. I'd rather a creamation with my ashes mixed into the soil and my favorite mango cv then planted into it :D . Some people may think it's poetic, other might be put off from eating the fruit after hearing the story :D . Good way to deter fruit theives from superstitious cultures lol.
When I revisted my grandparents grave in Guyana 2010 after 12 years, there was a huge non fruiting tree there surround by many graves. It was the healthiest tree in the area and when entering you just could not help by recognize it on the mid-southern side of the cemetary. Healthy, tall, and vigorious with green. The canopy was dense with pockets of shadows- won't surprise me if it were haunted. That tree must have loved it when ever the place flooded (water logged).
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 10:38:54 PM »
I think it's a bit creepy eating a banana where a relative was scattered, but I'll probably want my ashes scattered in my yard too.
Regards,

Gary

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 05:33:35 AM »
I scattered my grandparents and great grandparent ashes as well as their dog and my uncle in with my banana patch, its like fresh bone meal ;D. my trees are loving it, why waste it.

It is a little weird when you dig in it tho you wipe some of grandma off on your pants.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 08:50:52 AM »
I've thought about this my last rite, but personally I don't like the idea of a pod with my body in it. I'd rather a creamation with my ashes mixed into the soil and my favorite mango cv then planted into it :D . Some people may think it's poetic, other might be put off from eating the fruit after hearing the story :D . Good way to deter fruit theives from superstitious cultures lol.
When I revisted my grandparents grave in Guyana 2010 after 12 years, there was a huge non fruiting tree there surround by many graves. It was the healthiest tree in the area and when entering you just could not help by recognize it on the mid-southern side of the cemetary. Healthy, tall, and vigorious with green. The canopy was dense with pockets of shadows- won't surprise me if it were haunted. That tree must have loved it when ever the place flooded (water logged).

Gonna have to change your username now. The one drop rule applies.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 08:53:32 AM »

http://www.earthporm.com/bye-bye-coffins-these-organic-burial-pods-turn-your-loved-ones-into-trees/

I thought I was going to be buried at your feet like an Ancient Egyptian retainer sacrifice?

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 02:34:03 PM »

I thought I was going to be buried at your feet like an Ancient Egyptian retainer sacrifice?

Being buried at my feet is a privilege, not a right.  You have to earn the ability to curl up at my feet for an eternity.   If I decide to be buried under a tree I wouldn't want you tainting its fruit so you will be buried in an unmarked grave a safe distance away. 
George

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 10:55:44 AM »
What if the tree dies?
- David Antonio Garcia

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 02:07:58 PM »
What if the tree dies?

George will be reincarnated as a pond-apple.
Life is good

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 02:40:16 PM »
Pond Apples make great fish food
- David Antonio Garcia

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 04:23:24 PM »
What if the tree dies?

Bury the tree in a pod and plant a human on top of it.  ;)
Oscar

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 04:38:17 PM »
I was thinking recycle old fake Christmas trees, then run the lights in Christmas using saved solar power. Then people won't feel such a stigma about cemeteries....   :P

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »
I'm not interested in eating fruit made from the dead body of my loved one. I cannot think of anything less appetizing.

I do however think it's a nice idea to grow a tree that you don't plan to eat, from a loved one's remains - whether from ashes or the body directly or whatever. But here in FL there might be the added concern that some trees that are vulnerable might upend in a hurricane, and then your bones get scattered everywhere if you did not use ashes. Planting a tree when someone dies is a nice idea, especially if it is an environmentally responsible one. But I don't want the association that I am in some way eating my relative's dead body, or the literal fruits of its decomposition. A nice tree that supports local insects or animals would be a good choice though.

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »
You just talked your way out of some delicious death mangos
George

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 07:39:13 PM »
the loved ones make it sweeter with all their love ;D. honestly tho its not like your eating you dead one, all the ashes do is create an ionic exchange with the soil microbes that creates a positive or negative charge that feed your plants, the same amount of dirt remains in the pot as the tree grows so the tree isnt feeding on the dirt just chemical reactions between organisms.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 11:17:52 PM »
the loved ones make it sweeter with all their love ;D. honestly tho its not like your eating you dead one, all the ashes do is create an ionic exchange with the soil microbes that creates a positive or negative charge that feed your plants, the same amount of dirt remains in the pot as the tree grows so the tree isnt feeding on the dirt just chemical reactions between organisms.

Ofcourse what you are saying is scientifically correct, but unfortunately around the topic of death many people have illogical taboos.
Really if you think about it all soil is composed of recycled dead organisms, both plant and animal, plus a few minerals from ground down rocks, coral, etc. Life comes from death, and vice versa. But that's probably too taboo also for most.
Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 12:09:17 AM »
True, to each is own, for me what comes from the earth goes back to the earth to be recycled again. LIFE.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 02:29:50 AM »
True, to each is own, for me what comes from the earth goes back to the earth to be recycled again. LIFE.

In reality at time of death you could very well find out that most of the things discussed are illegal. In most states you won't be able to dispose of a body in any place you want. Certainly burying people in parks is illegal. They have to be registered cemeteries. Burying your loved ones in your own back yard is also illegal in most places. Even sprinkling ashes over the ocean at a public ceremony is illegal in many places. At least with ashes such things can be done discreetly.
Oscar

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 02:36:30 AM »

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 11:12:14 AM »

In reality at time of death you could very well find out that most of the things discussed are illegal. In most states you won't be able to dispose of a body in any place you want. Certainly burying people in parks is illegal. They have to be registered cemeteries. Burying your loved ones in your own back yard is also illegal in most places. Even sprinkling ashes over the ocean at a public ceremony is illegal in many places. At least with ashes such things can be done discreetly.

Are you sure about that Oscar, I know in Florida you can bury your family on your land without any real hassle. I already picked out where I'm gonna bury my family when they pass away...near my ceiba tree.

That way when developers try to imminent domain my land to turn it into condos I can tell the developers that the ghosts of my ancestors will haunt them and curse their family for 10 generations.
- David Antonio Garcia

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 05:20:13 PM »

Are you sure about that Oscar, I know in Florida you can bury your family on your land without any real hassle. .

The laws vary from state to state, but I think in most cases it's legal.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 05:33:40 PM »

Are you sure about that Oscar, I know in Florida you can bury your family on your land without any real hassle. I already picked out where I'm gonna bury my family when they pass away...near my ceiba tree.

That way when developers try to imminent domain my land to turn it into condos I can tell the developers that the ghosts of my ancestors will haunt them and curse their family for 10 generations.

Notice i said "most states"? Every state is different. My main point is to check what you plan to do in your own state before hand, otherwise you might be in for a very rude  surprise. For example, here i found out at time of death of a family member that they wouldn't allow me to transport their body in my own vehicle. They insisted i must hire a mortuary and their hearst to do that. I finally got around it with great difficulty, and had to sign a lot of legal paper work. Very difficult to deal with when you are in grieving process!
Hawaiians in old days had custom of burying their loved ones wherever they happened to die. If they died along the shore, then they would be buried on the beach. If they died along a trail they were buried by the trail. You can see a lot of old graves like this. But this is no longer allowed. So what people do now is put a memorial at place of death: flowers, personal objects, gravestone, or marker, but no body. You see a lot of these along highways from people that died in car accidents.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk