Author Topic: Extending the Mango Season  (Read 12119 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Extending the Mango Season
« on: April 07, 2012, 01:20:59 AM »
DELETED

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:05:02 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Extending the Mango Season
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 01:42:58 AM »
Over here best late season mangos are
1) Rapoza
2) Brook's Late
3) Zill's Late

Here is a photo of some Rapozas to wet your appetite:
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 04:43:21 AM »
Keitt is one of the latest over here..

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 06:41:52 AM »
Coconut Cream is Mid Season

Harvest Moon is Mid-Late Season

Lemon Zest is Mid Season

Some Late Varieties are Beverly, Keitt, Kent, Lancetilla, Neelam

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 07:47:20 AM »
Imagine having a fresh mango in December.  I am think adding a late season mango to my yard to extend the mango season.  I currently have Carrie (early), NDM (early), coconut cream (unknown), Lemon Zest (unknown), mahachanok (mid season).  I have space to add more trees.  What do you recommend for a late season mango (I want sweet, fiberless and disease resistant)?  I'm thinking of getting a Choc Anon, which bears in November-January. http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/choc-anon-mango.shtml Comments or suggestions for LATE season mangos varieties? http://www.rfvcbroward.org/mangos.html
Choc Anon does have the ability to produce a second crop in November/December but it is not guaranteed.  It is also not what I, or most who have had it, a very good mango (and it does seem to have a little fiber).  A lot would be controlled by the weather, not just the weather in November/December but the weather in the beginning of the year which will ultimately affect the timing of mango season in general.

NDM is not a true early season, more like late early to mid, and again, WHEN it is "ready" does not depend on the actual month but the specific years season as controlled/dictated by the weather.

Neelam is usually one of the latest mangoes here.  To me, it has very good and sometimes excellent flavor though not everyone agrees.  The fruit is small and tends to be a stronger tasting mango (not from resin but just the actual flavor of the flesh).  Since you are asking for opinions, Lancetilla is what I would consider a novelty mango due to its size.  Its flavor is nothing to write home about.  I prefer Kent over Keitt and Beverly.   These three are all good to very good with a nice balance of sub acid and sweet.  If you are looking for the sweetest of the late season, it would be Neelam.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 07:48:05 AM »

Lemon Zest is Mid Season

Not sure I would classify Harvest Moon as late season.
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 08:09:17 AM »

Lemon Zest is Mid Season

I honestly copied and pasted these from Zills information..

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 08:13:39 AM »

Lemon Zest is Mid Season

I honestly copied and pasted these from Zills information..
Obviously the ones I have had ans seen were all grown by Zills, but they were not in late season.  Now of course, a lot goes back to what I said about the seasons being highly affected by the weather.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:17:55 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:15:05 AM »
Hmmmm.......I am a relative few minutes late to this party......and just about everythhing that I would have said, has been said. I would only reiterate the thoughts on Choc Anon as not being an off season bearer at my house.  I would also give some additonal kudos to Beverly on the flavor issue....but that is just my preference when compared to Keitt and Kent.  Neelam is usually the very latest mango in my yard, this year, for some reason, set a very, very light crop.  That is not the norm.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »
Rereading your original post, I would add that Mahachanok's harvest season actually stretched through the entire early/mid/late scheme.  I would say from late early to early late.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:49:20 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 08:42:19 AM »
In theory Keitts can hang on your tree into November.  In practice (at least when I had a Keitt) stuff seems to happen to the late hanging fruit. Injuries from birds or ?????? may cause them to spoil. They may disappear due to four-legged or two-legged creatures.
Perhaps bagging a few of the late fruit would be a good experiment, to see if it protects them and saves them for you.

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 09:08:21 AM »
Keitt was the variety used in a late ripening mango research program in CA.
http://articles.latimes.com/1991-11-14/food/fo-1637_1_coachella-valley
Richard

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »
Beverly is easily one of the most under-rated late-season mangoes. Its productive, fungus resistant, and quite flavorful.

Some of the late season (mangoes ripening from late-July onward) varieties commonly available in Florida:

Kent (July-Aug)
Beverly (July-Aug)
Gold Nugget (July-Aug)
Valencia Pride (Aug)
Springfels (July-Aug)
Palmer (Aug-Sept)
Lancetilla (Aug-Sept)
Keitt (Aug-Oct)
Neelam (Sept-October)

Of those, I would recommend Beverly, Kent, Valencia Pride, Palmer, and Keitt.

Chok Anon is a mediocre mango that will sometimes set off-season fruit. NDM will do this also sometimes though and is light-years ahead in the flavor category. Some other SE Asian cultivars will do this as well. Almost all are better than Chok Anon.

Oscar, those are some pretty looking fruit. Looks like Rapoza inherited some good genes from its reported parent (Irwin).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:04:31 PM by Squam256 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 06:29:40 PM »
I have a Zill Neelam via Jeff Hagen so I like all the comments here. Got is last year in 7 gallon size. It is doing well despite powdery mildew early on, on the panicles. I will get some fruits from it maybe 6-14 is my guess. I have a Keitt but from all I read read Neelam is a better late season mango. Have a Gold (aka Golden) Nugget mango for late season too.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 07:28:53 PM »
...my experience so far has been KEITT by a long shot, where I live in SoCal.  THey really do hang on the tree a Looooooooong time. The last one I had last year was on Thanksgiving, and I picked that while it was still green a couple weeks before that....and I think I first one was in late Sept.....for me this is such an ideal mango for season spreading......

ANd so sweetly complex and fiberless.....mmm.......mmm.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fang

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 07:34:56 PM »
...my experience so far has been KEITT by a long shot, where I live in SoCal.  THey really do hang on the tree a Looooooooong time. The last one I had last year was on Thanksgiving, and I picked that while it was still green a couple weeks before that....and I think I first one was in late Sept.....for me this is such an ideal mango for season spreading......

ANd so sweetly complex and fiberless.....mmm.......mmm.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You are right MangoDog. I had my first keitt in Oct. and the other one around thanksgiving.My Mallika flowers twice in my area, In early Feb and late July. I had my last Malika on Christmas day.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 09:17:33 PM »
Those 'Rapoza' look wonderful--- I am not familiar with that variety.

'Zill Late' is a beautifully colored fruit and can be very good--- when it doesn't get internal breakdown.  Make sure it gets enough Calcium and not much Nitrogen during fruit season.

Do you like 'BrooksLate'?  It is very late, very productive, disease resistant, and good for pickles, I guess.  It is one of the few mangoes I turn up my nose at.
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 03:15:04 AM »
Those 'Rapoza' look wonderful--- I am not familiar with that variety.

'Zill Late' is a beautifully colored fruit and can be very good--- when it doesn't get internal breakdown.  Make sure it gets enough Calcium and not much Nitrogen during fruit season.

Do you like 'BrooksLate'?  It is very late, very productive, disease resistant, and good for pickles, I guess.  It is one of the few mangoes I turn up my nose at.

The Brook's Late mangos i've had here have been very nice. Wonder if it's possible they taste different in our climate/soil? Definitely wouldn't pass them up or pickle them.
Oscar

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »
Thank you for all of the responses.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

natsgarden123

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »
Beverly is easily one of the most under-rated late-season mangoes. Its productive, fungus resistant, and quite flavorful.

Some of the late season (mangoes ripening from late-July onward) varieties commonly available in Florida:

Kent (July-Aug)
Beverly (July-Aug)
Gold Nugget (July-Aug)
Valencia Pride (Aug)
Springfels (July-Aug)
Palmer (Aug-Sept)
Lancetilla (Aug-Sept)
Keitt (Aug-Oct)
Neelam (Sept-October)

Chok Anon is a mediocre mango that will sometimes set off-season fruit. NDM will do this also sometimes though and is light-years ahead in the flavor category. Some other SE Asian cultivars will do this as well. Almost all are better than Chok Anon.

Oscar, those are some pretty looking fruit. Looks like Rapoza inherited some good genes from its reported parent (Irwin).

Valencia Pride is a delicious Mango- Baileys Marvel is also an August fruiting mango...which I think is wonderful

Beverly-- http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/beverly-mango.shtml

Beverly - not a pretty mango but...any people growing this?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »

Kent (July-Aug)
Beverly (July-Aug)
Gold Nugget (July-Aug)
Valencia Pride (Aug)
Springfels (July-Aug)
Palmer (Aug-Sept)
Lancetilla (Aug-Sept)
Keitt (Aug-Oct)
Neelam (Sept-October)

Valencia Pride is a delicious Mango- Baileys Marvel is also an August fruiting mango...which I think is wonderful

Baily's Marvel is a mid-season mango, July, not August.  I have even seen them in June in certain years.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »

Kent (July-Aug)
Beverly (July-Aug)
Gold Nugget (July-Aug)
Valencia Pride (Aug)
Springfels (July-Aug)
Palmer (Aug-Sept)
Lancetilla (Aug-Sept)
Keitt (Aug-Oct)
Neelam (Sept-October)

Baily's Marvel is a mid-season mango, July, not August.  I have even seen them in June in certain years.

IS that all you have to say about my favorite mango?   :P

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 09:20:26 PM »

Kent (July-Aug)
Beverly (July-Aug)
Gold Nugget (July-Aug)
Valencia Pride (Aug)
Springfels (July-Aug)
Palmer (Aug-Sept)
Lancetilla (Aug-Sept)
Keitt (Aug-Oct)
Neelam (Sept-October)

IS that all you have to say about my favorite mango?   :P
mmmmmmmmmmmmm...yup :)
- Rob

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 09:25:18 PM »
Hi,

Just ate a fresh Choc-Anon mango today. I wouldn't call it an bad-tasting mango. It actually has a nice lingering sweet citrus taste. It may not be a top-tier mango but giving harvest in the winter makes up for that and I could gladly eat a bunch of them. I am certainly going have a Choc-Anon mango tree.

Tomas

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 09:47:46 PM »
If you prune the flower stalks on a Keitt, would you get a new flush 3 weeks later and fruit harvest delayed by around a month? I know it works on early varieties that flower when the conditions arent right - you can chop the flowers before the fruit forms and out pops a new flower flush a few weeks later when the conditions should be better...