Author Topic: Cherimoya tasting /get together  (Read 20040 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya tasting /get together
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2020, 12:22:28 AM »
What an absolutely incredible day at Brad’s Orchard today. We had Cherimoyas, Annona hybrids, Mangos, Longans, Bananas, Dragonfruit, Passionfruit, Kei Apple, Gin Berries, Surinam Cherries, the new Pink Pineapple, White Jade or White Sugarloaf pineapple, Guava, Watermelon, Fingerlimes, persimmons, Sugarcane, pomegranates and Jujubes.

Safety was a top priority and we were prepared with alcohol, disinfectant wipes, gloves, masks and social distancing.

I was amazed at the huge spread of different varieties of fruit available at this time of year. I believe the Pink fleshed pineapple was the only fruit that was purchased. After breakfast, we started cutting up the fruit and there was so much fruit that we barely made a dent. Not all the fruit are shown in the pictures I posted. There were a bunch more Cherimoyas on the side, in the house and on the trees.

Cherimoyas are super sweet so we started off with some shade grown Parfianka Pomegranates. I noticed that the fruit grown in the shade had lighter colored arils, lower Brix, lower acidity and an even softer seed. The shade grown fruit tasted sweet with very little acidity and tasted sweeter than the higher Brix Full sun fruit. The Shade grown Parfianka had a Brix of 16.5% and the full sun fruit had a Brix reading of 17.5% for these particular fruit.

Brad started cutting up a bunch of cherimoyas while I started cutting up a small Lemon Zest mango. The LZ was only about the size of a Po Pyu Kalay because it came from my tree that produced a cluster of 5 fruit from a single branch. The LZ was so small that not everyone got a piece but from the comments I heard, it was an extremely good fruit. This LZ only had a Brix of 22.5% so we know it was not at its peak performance but it must have been good none the less, from what I heard. A perfect LZ grown in SoCal has a Brix around 27-28%. LZ gets as high as 32% in SoCal but at this Brix level, it is too sweet and the sugar acid balance is thrown off. I didn’t take a close up of the LZ fruit but you can easily spot the yellow fruit by the refractometer(thanks Sheehan).

The cherimoyas were excellent but I didn’t get to taste all of them because I was helping out with the cutting. From the moyas I tasted, HoneyHart was very good with an off the charts Brix reading(30+?). There was also another fruit that Brad cut open that was supposed to have red flesh but it was more of slight barely noticeable pink. We actually don’t know if the little pink coloration we saw was from the cherimoya or from the juice of the pink Pineapple that got onto the knife. I don’t recall what the name of that fruit is but here’s a picture of the fruit in question

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2020, 12:44:25 AM »
Here are some closer up shots of the fruit

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2020, 05:29:44 AM »
The best fruit I tried was the Aztec Red.  It was very slightly pink inside.  I did confirm they didnt cut the pineapple with our knife.  This fruit had an amazing flavor and super high brix.  Its also had that chalkyness that mangos get.  Everyone seemed impressed with that one.  It really stood out flavorwise.  Ill definitwly be top working several trees with this variety.  Theres just a few branches of it on one of my trees. 

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 05:32:25 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2020, 10:50:54 AM »
I saw offering of Inca red scion.
Your Aztec red is different?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2020, 11:12:07 AM »
Wow, amazing spread of fruit looks like you had a successful tasting, thanks for posting about tasting Brad & Simon. Would love one day to see your place brad but long haul for me but one day hopefully.
Glad you had a wonderful tasting event concrat's Brad.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2020, 11:25:31 AM »
Thanks Scott, It went pretty well I thought.  There were 10 or 12 adults and 6 kids.   Some people didnt leave for 7 hours so they must have been having a good time.

The cherimoya was inca red yes not aztec red.  That fruit was the only fruit on a big size tree that I had multigrafted the last 2 years.  So im not sure if it was so good because all the trees efforts went to that fruit or the fruit is actually that good.  Ive had other fruit that were insanely good on trees that only had one or 2 fruit before also.  We had a huge bumper crop of cherimoyas this year.  Ill definitely be thinning and doing less pollinating next year and focus on getting the highest quality and less quantity.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 11:31:17 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »
Interested to hear how Inca Red flavor holds up.

Funny, because the first fruits often are not as good as when a tree has matured.

Had one sweet tart mango this year (the first I've grown, and only one produced by this tree so far). Along with the first (and lone) coco cream mango that my tree produced the first year (2 or 3 years ago), the best 2 mangoes I've eaten.

Must be something to the idea that less fruits correlates with better flavor.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2020, 12:02:56 PM »
Thanks for hosting again Brad! always a good time. And to Simon. I second the comment on the Inca Red. Great acid/sweet balance. Almost lemony.

The golfball sized yellow strawberry guavas were also well received. And the bananas.
Shane

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2020, 12:30:13 PM »
Interested to hear how Inca Red flavor holds up.

Funny, because the first fruits often are not as good as when a tree has matured.

Had one sweet tart mango this year (the first I've grown, and only one produced by this tree so far). Along with the first (and lone) coco cream mango that my tree produced the first year (2 or 3 years ago), the best 2 mangoes I've eaten.

Must be something to the idea that less fruits correlates with better flavor.

I see people saying fruit gets better with age of tree and that has not been my experience at all.  And I've got a lot of trees to base that on.  I have noticed maybe the opposite.  Year 3 or 4 tends to be the best then it goes downhill as the tree ages and hold bigger crops.  Thats been my experience on almost everything I grow.   
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2020, 12:38:55 PM »
Going to thin more and see how it goes. Rollinia has been like that for me. First fruits were awesome. Then, as it has become more productive, fruit quality has dropped. Others have advised thinning as well.

Must be about finding the balance and sweet spot in terms of quantity of fruit to leave on a tree. I do not believe that 5 year bearing trees are past their prime.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2020, 04:23:28 PM »
I tried a selma fruit today that mark Lee left here.  The fruit was fairly pink fleshed.  Tatse was really nice but the flesh was a little fiberous. 

I tried the concha lisa also that Mark left and really enjoyed it.  Ill probably try and top work one tree with that one.  It was extra sweet and tastey. 

I've got some more atemoya crosses and atemoyas on the trees.  I'm anxious to try the LM3 fruits but looks like they will be a few months after the pure cherimoya. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:46:29 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2020, 09:01:23 PM »
Really sorry I missed out.  Looks like you guys had a great time.  Thanks for posting the pictures!  If you offer again next fall, you can bet I'll be there!  I should have some pomegranates to share by then.   :)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2020, 11:08:56 PM »
Some of the cherimoyas I brought didn’t ripen in time for the tasting but they were soft enough to cut open today. This first fruit is a Fino De Jete. It was a smaller fruit and only had a Brix of 19%. It was mildly sweet with a little bit of acid balance but the texture was very nice or perhaps it was just at that perfect stage of ripeness. I’ve had FDJ many times over the years and I know the fruit can get better. I wish this particular fruit was sweeter and had a stronger flavor like I’ve tasted in the past.
Postimage isn’t working right now, I’ll have to post pictures later

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2020, 11:14:01 PM »
Fino De Jete

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2020, 11:23:27 PM »
I also cut into this Mohan today but I was about a day too early. It felt just barely soft but once I cut through the skin, it felt firm and I could tell it wasn’t fully ripe. This fruit was still edible and had a Brix reading of 24.4%. It was very sweet but had a slightly chewy texture and some slight chalkiness due to being under ripe. If I waited another day, this fruit would have been very good.

Simon

7seas

• Carlsbad, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2020, 01:34:11 AM »
Simon and Brad, Thanks guys for the invite and hosting! It was a great experience and it was nice to meet everyone!

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2020, 10:40:28 AM »
Can anyone chime in...what variety of cherimoya has the least seeds?
All fruits on the table look delicious.  Wish I could join the fruits tasting  with you all, but it was quite a drive from Oxnard, Ventura
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:43:43 AM by Lovetoplant »

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2020, 11:48:57 AM »
Hey Simon,

My Fino matured and dropped last week.
It was small like a tennis ball.
Other varieties on the same tree were 2-3 times as large.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2020, 12:54:24 PM »
I had about 20 or 30 fino de Jeter on my tree.  They get 2lbs, theres a couple of them in the pics of the fruit.  Had a lot of big ones and small ones on the same tree, ot just depends on location on the tree and how many other fruit on that branch and size of branch.   Its not as high of brix as other types but the flesh is pretty nice texture and good seed ratio on the big ones. 
Brad Spaugh

tropicalgalaxy3000

• I am terrible person, you will not see me here
    • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2020, 01:06:58 PM »
Like the colour on the dragon fruit, do fruit from cacti take a longer to grow probably not lol
all the best

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2020, 03:38:34 PM »
Can anyone chime in...what variety of cherimoya has the least seeds?
All fruits on the table look delicious.  Wish I could join the fruits tasting  with you all, but it was quite a drive from Oxnard, Ventura

They are all pretty seedy.  Fino de jete is maybe the least seedy when the fruit are big.  But not by much.  The fruit seem to always have similar number of seeds per fruit but if thry get bigger they have more flesh to seed ratio. 
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2020, 10:34:40 PM »
Simon and Brad, Thanks guys for the invite and hosting! It was a great experience and it was nice to meet everyone!

Anytime Val, I’m glad you were able to make it!

Lovetoplant, there are some Annonas that were selected for fewer seeds. I believe some of the Atemoyas have relatively few seeds. If I remember correctly, Leo Hybrid #2 has low seed count. Leo Hybrid # 3 also can have lower seed count but I believe that is because it does not require hand pollination. If you hand pollinate these varieties, you will probably get bigger fruit with more seeds.

I agree with Brad that larger fruit will give you a better flesh to seed ratio. This is one of the reasons why I like Dr White.

Simon

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2020, 09:06:43 PM »
Wow Brad,

All the fruit looks amazing and what an incredible spread! Wondering about the Inca Red, where did this annona originate and it’s parentage?

-Joe

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2020, 10:14:56 PM »
I dont know I got it from another member here named Jonah who didn't know the story.  It really shouldn't be called "red" it had a very very small hint of pink.  The Selma cherimoya has much more pinkish flesh.

I am not going to get overly excited as the fruit probably wont be as good on a big tree with a good fruitset.  Ive had it happen before where some fruit were over 30 brix and insane flavor then the next year the big crop came and fruit wasn't as intense. 

Brad Spaugh

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2020, 12:07:27 PM »
I’ve been distributing “Inca Red” scion since 2015 at least so other tff members may have fruited it.
I scoured my records and Unfortunately could not find out who I got this from originally.
I haven’t fruited it myself so time will tell how good a fruit it really is by hearing tasting accounts from a few different tree’s.