Author Topic: Rollinia... yum  (Read 4862 times)

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Rollinia... yum
« on: April 27, 2017, 09:46:37 PM »
An afternoon visit with a grower down the road yielded a nice tree ripe Rollinia. I told him I would share it with the forum so enjoy the fruit por...ictures   8)  ;D   :-X 

Love the taste. Like a sweet and tart creme brulee annona.

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Rollinia... yum
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 10:13:53 PM »
Beautiful Rollinia!! Looks yummy!

Thanks for sharing the pics 8)

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 06:49:24 AM »
Nice size tree and fruit!  How many fruit were on that tree?  Was the fruit firm or snotty? I understand Rollinia are shy bloomers and low in fruit production. I am only asking because I'd like to hear other peoples experiences. I have a small tree and know that attempting to get it to bloom well, let alone fruit will be difficult in my climate. I think I see several flowers on my tree growing in now with the new growth, but only time will tell.
Bob

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 08:21:45 AM »
Nice size tree and fruit!  How many fruit were on that tree?  Was the fruit firm or snotty? I understand Rollinia are shy bloomers and low in fruit production. I am only asking because I'd like to hear other peoples experiences. I have a small tree and know that attempting to get it to bloom well, let alone fruit will be difficult in my climate. I think I see several flowers on my tree growing in now with the new growth, but only time will tell.
That has not been my experience, though rollinia does do better in a humid climate like we have here. Mine is flowering heavily now, and generally sets fruit well on its own.
Dom

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:08:53 AM »
Most mature trees in SWFL are covered with fruits. Same for the ones at F&S.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »
The tree is pretty big. Maybe 15-20 yrs? And looks like it's going through its normal flowering/fruiting now. This particular fruit was one that set and developed thru our "winter" and there is a bigger fruit still on the tree from same bloom but not quite ready yet. The fruit and texture seems like it can go from semi firm to full on custardy snotty mush very fast after reaching ripe and harvesting but flavor is still good.

Have you guys growing Rollinia seen much variability in taste of fruits from seed? Maybe superior selections out there but this one was tasty to me.

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:55:34 AM »
That has not been my experience, though rollinia does do better in a humid climate like we have here. Mine is flowering heavily now, and generally sets fruit well on its own.
Good to know that they can perform well and fruit nicely in the right climate.  I have had a couple of growers in Florida tell me that they did not fruit well.  Perhaps their trees are still young.  Keep us updated on the progress, I'd like to see some photographs of your success!  It will give me hope of actually getting fruit some day.
Bob

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 10:00:05 AM »
The tree is pretty big. Maybe 15-20 yrs? And looks like it's going through its normal flowering/fruiting now. This particular fruit was one that set and developed thru our "winter" and there is a bigger fruit still on the tree from same bloom but not quite ready yet. The fruit and texture seems like it can go from semi firm to full on custardy snotty mush very fast after reaching ripe and harvesting but flavor is still good.

Have you guys growing Rollinia seen much variability in taste of fruits from seed? Maybe superior selections out there but this one was tasty to me.

That sounds like the tree is doing really well. Nice to know that it is producing more blooms and will fruit more this year.  Mine has a way to go before that happens.  I think it will be a few years before I get to taste one.....maybe I'll have to take a fruit vacation in Florida!  Thanks for posting.
Bob

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 01:07:19 PM »
Dwfl  Rollinias are filling like a pile of bananas that one must of filled you up!!!

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
Dwfl  Rollinias are filling like a pile of bananas that one must of filled you up!!!

Yeah pretty much dinner for two  :D

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 03:40:01 PM »

in california rollinia are hard to grow because they need high humidity, my rollinia is a year old and has 11 fruit starting to grow

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »

in california rollinia are hard to grow because they need high humidity, my rollinia is a year old and has 11 fruit starting to grow
That is awesome that your Rollinia is doing so well.  I have heard lack of humidity is a problem for the plant especially when it comes to successful pollination.  Ong's Nursery told me not to plant the Rollinia in full sun because the leaves get burned. I wasn't sure that may have been because it was in a pot.  I tried not to take any chances, so I planted mine last September underneath a mature palm.  In the summer it gets shaded at midday and also in later afternoon by the house, so I hope that alleviates some of the problems with lack of humidity.  Mine is leafing out after following Frank's advice to strip the plant in early March.  I'll just have to see how the plant handles summer.  It grew well at the nursery here in San Diego for the last three years that I had my eye on it.
Bob

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 10:14:49 PM »

That is awesome that your Rollinia is doing so well.  I have heard lack of humidity is a problem for the plant especially when it comes to successful pollination.  Ong's Nursery told me not to plant the Rollinia in full sun because the leaves get burned. I wasn't sure that may have been because it was in a pot.  I tried not to take any chances, so I planted mine last September underneath a mature palm.  In the summer it gets shaded at midday and also in later afternoon by the house, so I hope that alleviates some of the problems with lack of humidity.  Mine is leafing out after following Frank's advice to strip the plant in early March.  I'll just have to see how the plant handles summer.  It grew well at the nursery here in San Diego for the last three years that I had my eye on it.

I have a 3 gallon rollinia in pot and last summer my rollinia took the 122f heatwave we had heree in south california (full sun)... my cherimoya leaves were affected tho

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 12:25:23 PM »
I have never bothered to try this here in Florida or anywhere else, but perhaps you-all out in the deserts and semi-arid areas could try fogger/mister attachments on garden hoses, in very late afternoon through a couple of hours past sunset.  Unless the female-stage-flower's stigmas are already drying out earlier than this--- you would be able to visually check this with a magnifier---  then protecting the viability of the pollen grains for a few hours should increase the efficacy of your hand-pollinations just before sunset.

Alternatively, you could tape the bottom of the flowers before they even open, and then remove the tape just momentarily for you to hand-pollinate, and then re-tape.

Sometimes, in very cool weather in the Spring, Roliinias flower synchronously:  all male one eveing, all female next evening;  this not only happens on an individual tree, but can happen on a whole row of trees.  This issue goes away when the weather warms up.

Har

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 02:39:39 PM »
I have never bothered to try this here in Florida or anywhere else, but perhaps you-all out in the deserts and semi-arid areas could try fogger/mister attachments on garden hoses, in very late afternoon through a couple of hours past sunset.  Unless the female-stage-flower's stigmas are already drying out earlier than this--- you would be able to visually check this with a magnifier---  then protecting the viability of the pollen grains for a few hours should increase the efficacy of your hand-pollinations just before sunset.

Alternatively, you could tape the bottom of the flowers before they even open, and then remove the tape just momentarily for you to hand-pollinate, and then re-tape.

Sometimes, in very cool weather in the Spring, Roliinias flower synchronously:  all male one eveing, all female next evening;  this not only happens on an individual tree, but can happen on a whole row of trees.  This issue goes away when the weather warms up.

Thanks for the information Har.  I would like to try the tape idea. But of course you had to complicate the situation with bringing up the synchronous flowering! I was hoping to avoid that situation with planting another Rollinia and now you have crushed my dreams! ;)  I also understand that low humidity may be a problem with proper fruit ripening, small fruits just falling of and not maturing.  Do you think bagging the flowers/fruit may help increase the humidity enough for success?
Bob

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 10:35:10 PM »
I have no idea!
Har

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 09:11:18 AM »
I have no idea!
Okay then i will give your ideas a try and report what happens.  First I have to get the tree to flower.  Then I can worry about pollination. ;D
Bob