Author Topic: SoCal mango growers with very late mangoes  (Read 2187 times)

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
SoCal mango growers with very late mangoes
« on: October 03, 2020, 12:14:14 PM »
My mango season is usually late but this year in particular most mangoes are still green and hanging. Only cat Saigon, buttercream, orange sherbet and Pickering ripened around August and September. I would like to know if others have the same late ripening issues. Are you guys picking the fruits so the trees can grow a little before winter hits?

Sweet tarts are still green.

CAC is still green.

LZ still green.

Peach cobblers still green.

Maha flowering and fruiting again.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal mango growers with very late mangoes
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 12:10:08 AM »
Your mangoes look wonderful.
This is only my first year getting fruit from my PTN-1 mango tree. The fruits are still green, I fertilize the tree heavily with chicken manure and organic citrus fertilizer, plus fish emulsion once a week. The tree is flushing a lot of new growth while still holding the fruits.
I am planning to pick all the fruits in 2 weeks and just let them rippening off the tree if they are still green.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 12:09:44 PM »
My mango season is usually late but this year in particular most mangoes are still green and hanging.
Wow!  Seems odd.  I wonder about the desert SE of you (Coachella Valley).
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
Those trees are a bit small to be letting them hold fruit.

It is also not late for SoCal mangoes.  Your season is naturally later than Florida's.  Plus, your weather has aided in even later season ripening.
- Rob

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 12:53:50 PM »
palingkecil - congrats, glad to hear mangoes doing well in your backyard

johnb51 - wong farm's season seems to run between July - September and not as late as mine

bsbullie - the trees are in fact small, some had seen 2 winters and some 1. They were bought as 15 gal (California size) at planting which is probably 5-7 gal in Florida.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 01:09:31 PM »
My mango season is usually late but this year in particular most mangoes are still green and hanging. Only cat Saigon, buttercream, orange sherbet and Pickering ripened around August and September. I would like to know if others have the same late ripening issues. Are you guys picking the fruits so the trees can grow a little before winter hits?

Sweet tarts are still green.

CAC is still green.

LZ still green.

Peach cobblers still green.

Maha flowering and fruiting again.

Does your Maha have multiple crops a year? I heard that Maha takes a few years before they start to bear fruit, is that true?
Btw, I followed your suggestion about the soil mixed with sand for my mango trees, and they thrive. Thank you!

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 01:30:38 PM »
Does your Maha have multiple crops a year? I heard that Maha takes a few years before they start to bear fruit, is that true?
Btw, I followed your suggestion about the soil mixed with sand for my mango trees, and they thrive. Thank you!

You are welcome :) I am not 100% sure if maha will produce multiple crops a year, we will have to wait and see what it does next year. I kept this maha in a greenhouse and didn’t let it flower, took it out and planted it in May. It hasn’t flowered until now. Here is the overall pic of the maha.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 05:17:20 PM »
Maha is usually once only and not late like say Keitt and brooks (or is that palmer?). I have said it before that SoCal and Florida could use good quality all year fruiting mangoes from Thailand such as 3 seasons (nothing to do with Frankie Valli) so late and early can be overcome.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 06:05:01 PM »
Maha is usually once only and not late like say Keitt and brooks (or is that palmer?). I have said it before that SoCal and Florida could use good quality all year fruiting mangoes from Thailand such as 3 seasons (nothing to do with Frankie Valli) so late and early can be overcome.

I don’t know why I didn’t try or thought about bringing scions on our yearly trip to Phuket and Bangkok If travel becomes normal, we plan to go and I will visit some nurseries while I am there. We like to make Phuket a base and go to other countries from there, perhaps Myanmar would be a good place for superior mango varieties as well.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 11:04:34 PM »
Update: 2 days after my post, STs and CAC started to turn yellow!

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 11:50:31 PM »

I don’t know why I didn’t try or thought about bringing scions on our yearly trip to Phuket and Bangkok If travel becomes normal, we plan to go and I will visit some nurseries while I am there. We like to make Phuket a base and go to other countries from there, perhaps Myanmar would be a good place for superior mango varieties as well.

Thailand is a tropical fruit heaven! Not to mention the street food vendors which cook better than any 5 stars chef.
I usually go to traditional market and just buy any fruit that looks good and gorge myself in the hotel room.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 12:04:58 AM »
Fruit heaven for sure, this was from last year :)

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 12:40:32 AM »

Where is the best place to put scions into,  suitcase,carry on or carry them with you?  I was so tempting to bring some scions and seeds back every time I went back to Thailand.  One time i came back with jackfruit seeds, but threw them into the trash at customs check points.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 12:56:20 AM »

Where is the best place to put scions into,  suitcase,carry on or carry them with you?  I was so tempting to bring some scions and seeds back every time I went back to Thailand.  One time i came back with jackfruit seeds, but threw them into the trash at customs check points.

I would bring scions in carry-on luggage, in check-in luggage it should be ok too. Probably best to wrap the scions in buddy tape for the journey.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 01:18:01 AM »
Have you done it before from other countries that you visited?  What would be a good excuse if getting searched by customs agency then U.S. Food and Agriculture? 

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 01:50:43 AM »
Someone I know use a scion as a hair stick / hair pin and passed the custom. That scion is actually growing well now.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 02:10:39 AM »
I would be afraid to ask my wife to put special hair pins on hers.

Any other member advice will be greatly appreciated.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2020, 09:35:35 AM »
Probably best not to talk about on this subject here, but it’s been done without issues.

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2020, 11:26:19 AM »
Have you done it before from other countries that you visited?  What would be a good excuse if getting searched by customs agency then U.S. Food and Agriculture?

The excuse won't matter if they find out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk