Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 533786 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #1500 on: March 29, 2020, 10:57:21 AM »
Same here, but it took me a decade of growing to figure that out. No moral reason to stay within the confines of an organic regimen (unless one is certified as doing so).

When I had my soil tested (black compost from a decade of extremely heavy mulching), P was off the chart (literally), K to Ca ratio was terrible, and micronutrients were way under represented. But it took about a decade for those conditions to develop.

As Har mentioned, moderation is good here. A thin layer of compost does a lot of good.

I practice the best of both worlds- I apply organics AND use synthetic fertilizers for better performance.

Tell me, what is the exact nutritional value of your compost, your organics?  Talking NPK and micros.  That's all a plant cares about.  Cares less about folks' lifestyles and cults they choose.

Sorry for coming off as a jerk but I really get tired of this feel good "natural" B.S..  Compost CAN be problematic. Many organic materials are laden with broadleaf herbicides and/or heavy metals.  I know of no organic purist that knows exactly what's in their rocket fuels.

One must use common sense and be a good steward of their health and the environment.
Jeff  :-)

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: March 29, 2020, 11:02:47 AM »
Re :Compost

My soil in Cape Coral is so poor that I HAVE to fill the planting hole with topsoil/compost. The topsoil in my neighborhood is really subsoil from canal excavation used to elevate the residential lots. It is sand with shells/coral rock of various sizes and almost no organic matter or life. I have no irrigation system and the well water is very salty.
When the top layer of ground dries it actually repels water. Almost everything goes chlorotic so I use a lot of liquid iron and similar granular products. I would use soluble kelp powder if it wasn't near $500 a pail.
 Once the soil is dry even a heavy rainfall will only wet the top inch or so and then it is dry as dust beneath.My first mangos were planted by the book. All struggled and most died. Filling the planting hole with compost has greatly increased survival.Sometimes I give the trees a little molasses,it seems to help.
 I have to fill the planting hole with compost and at least a 2 inch layer of compost surrounding the tree so I can successfully water from a can or hose from my Reverse osmosis system. If there is some moisture the soil drains fine. When dry, water just beads up and runs off.
  Once mangos are established I try to give them a little water around bloom to minimize fruit drop. Last year I was unable to water. The trees set a good crop but the rains came so late much of it dropped. Mature mangos do fine in the neighborhood but young trees struggle. The past two Winters it has hardy rained at all.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: March 29, 2020, 12:09:06 PM »
I hear ya, I'm in the same boat here. We have a solid foot thick layer of calcium carbonate rock / rubble (from canal digging) with a 3 - 4 inch layer of sand on top.

Honestly, a lot of soils repel water when dry. Peat is especially bad, but even compost does it. The key is to keep it watered during establishment or wait until the summer rains kick in. Best time to plant a mango tree here is August, since you get the summer rains, and mangoes naturally lay down roots during the fall (the yearly cycle is roughly: dormant => fruit => grow limbs => grow roots).

To repair chlorosis, sulfur helps a lot in that it temporarily drops pH. As an experiment, I dropped the pH of 1/4 acre of land from mid to high 7's to the 3's with a literal ton of sulfur. Took a good 5 years for the pH to return to the 7's. (PS -- you can buy OMRI listed sulfur pellets if that's something you're interested in.)

Also, consistently apply micronutrients (Tiger produces some good ORMI listed micros, and conventionals are easy to obtain).  Consistent foliar application helps too.

My soil in Cape Coral is so poor that I HAVE to fill the planting hole with topsoil/compost. The topsoil in my neighborhood is really subsoil from canal excavation used to elevate the residential lots. It is sand with shells/coral rock of various sizes and almost no organic matter or life. I have no irrigation system and the well water is very salty.
When the top layer of ground dries it actually repels water. Almost everything goes chlorotic so I use a lot of liquid iron and similar granular products. I would use soluble kelp powder if it wasn't near $500 a pail.
 Once the soil is dry even a heavy rainfall will only wet the top inch or so and then it is dry as dust beneath.My first mangos were planted by the book. All struggled and most died. Filling the planting hole with compost has greatly increased survival.Sometimes I give the trees a little molasses,it seems to help.
 I have to fill the planting hole with compost and at least a 2 inch layer of compost surrounding the tree so I can successfully water from a can or hose from my Reverse osmosis system. If there is some moisture the soil drains fine. When dry, water just beads up and runs off.
  Once mangos are established I try to give them a little water around bloom to minimize fruit drop. Last year I was unable to water. The trees set a good crop but the rains came so late much of it dropped. Mature mangos do fine in the neighborhood but young trees struggle. The past two Winters it has hardy rained at all.

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Canal soil issues
« Reply #1503 on: March 29, 2020, 12:57:49 PM »
Most grass won't even grow on this stuff without constant irrigation and fertilizer. Some palms even die. The vacant lots are about 50% bare ground with drought tolerant weeds/wildflowers covering the rest. Almost like a desert with no cactus during the dry season. I have dug up and transplanted a lot of blanketflower and beach sunflower. 
I even tried about 30 yards of mulch and raised about 10 lbs of earthworms to release, they multiplied well and ate a foot of mulch down to about 2 inches in 2 years then disappeared after the drought 2 winters ago.
  I have 2-3 feet of the shells-sand-coral mix before I hit regular sand/silt.
 I have tried sulfur in small amounts and it helps, but 50 lb bags seem unavailable locally.
Foliar soluble kelp is awesome but so expensive, I might buy a pail anyway.
 Wish I could find a source of Potassium Sulfate and Calcium Sulfate in SW Florida. Calcium Nitrate would be wonderful too.... The local Southern Ag dealer won't order bags for me.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: March 29, 2020, 01:19:35 PM »
If your soil is truly high in Calcium Carbonate, you can transform some of that into Calcium Sulfate by adding Sulfur.
Har

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: March 29, 2020, 01:39:34 PM »
I have applied sulfur but need 50 lb bags to do more than spot application and I can't find a source in Ft Myers area.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: March 29, 2020, 04:17:42 PM »
Wise and practical man.  I had the same experience regarding ultra high P, K and Ca.  As advised by the lab techs more compost only exacerbates the problem so "don't add it for 5 years".  Cure - using a very high N food relative to the rest of the macros.

Same here, but it took me a decade of growing to figure that out. No moral reason to stay within the confines of an organic regimen (unless one is certified as doing so).

When I had my soil tested (black compost from a decade of extremely heavy mulching), P was off the chart (literally), K to Ca ratio was terrible, and micronutrients were way under represented. But it took about a decade for those conditions to develop.

As Har mentioned, moderation is good here. A thin layer of compost does a lot of good.

I practice the best of both worlds- I apply organics AND use synthetic fertilizers for better performance.

Tell me, what is the exact nutritional value of your compost, your organics?  Talking NPK and micros.  That's all a plant cares about.  Cares less about folks' lifestyles and cults they choose.

Sorry for coming off as a jerk but I really get tired of this feel good "natural" B.S..  Compost CAN be problematic. Many organic materials are laden with broadleaf herbicides and/or heavy metals.  I know of no organic purist that knows exactly what's in their rocket fuels.

One must use common sense and be a good steward of their health and the environment.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: March 29, 2020, 04:19:55 PM »
All you need is a bottomless RootBuilder "pot" - period.

author=TonyinCC link=topic=1001.msg382249#msg382249 date=1585494167]

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:00:46 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: March 29, 2020, 04:25:21 PM »
If your soil is truly high in Calcium Carbonate, you can transform some of that into Calcium Sulfate by adding Sulfur.

No shit. I don't know how many times I've had to correct the "advice" from Saturday morning talk show "experts" that recommend folks add gypsum to open up tight clay soils.  Here we are in calcareous clay soils with bicarbs and a high pH that's thru the roof.

Sulfur can be added in powder or pastule form using a  broadcaster.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: March 29, 2020, 08:43:20 PM »
Haha that's exactly what I've started doing -- halted on the compost (except for what I run through the chipper) and high N (except for the mangoes). Huge difference.

Wise and practical man.  I had the same experience regarding ultra high P, K and Ca.  As advised by the lab techs more compost only exacerbates the problem so "don't add it for 5 years".  Cure - using a very high N food relative to the rest of the macros.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: March 29, 2020, 09:26:16 PM »
I have applied sulfur but need 50 lb bags to do more than spot application and I can't find a source in Ft Myers area.
Diamond R sells tiger 90 in LaBelle in 50#bags. Very cheap if I remember

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: March 30, 2020, 04:21:38 PM »
Any recommendations to save this potted PPK? Leaves are turning black from the edges to inside, I have applied abound ~1 tablespoon/gal rate and also applied copper fungicide. I have seen posts with similar issues, but can’t find it anymore.

Thanks.

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: March 30, 2020, 09:07:20 PM »
Thanks , Labelle is a good drive but worth it to get some Sulfur cheap.
 Does anyone else use Diesel exhaust fluid for nitrogen? It is high purity Urea, It is the cheapest high nitrogen stuff I can find.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: March 30, 2020, 10:01:57 PM »
Urea and ammonium are easily problematic for mangos.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: March 30, 2020, 10:08:54 PM »
The darkening leaf edges may be from excess Boron, or maybe from too steadily-wet roots in highly organic soil.
Har

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: March 31, 2020, 07:21:08 AM »
Any recommendations to save this potted PPK? Leaves are turning black from the edges to inside, I have applied abound ~1 tablespoon/gal rate and also applied copper fungicide. I have seen posts with similar issues, but can’t find it anymore.

Thanks.

Looks like anthracnose to me.  Haven't you guys had a lot of rain lately?

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #1516 on: March 31, 2020, 08:49:49 AM »
Can anyone ID this problem..
Looks to me like it could be MBBS..
But this is a Carrie mango and it's not supposed to get that.. is it possible that the disease has mutated.  This is the second one that showed up.

Www.sailing-charters.org

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #1517 on: March 31, 2020, 09:00:55 AM »
But this is a Carrie mango and it's not supposed to get that.. is it possible that the disease has mutated.  This is the second one that showed up.

Appears to be a split caused by a MBBS lesion.

Any mango can get MBBS including resistant varieties like Carrie. The difference is in the severity and percentage of fruit impacted. With Carrie that number will likely be single digits percentage wise, while something like Kent or Keitt can be well north of 50%.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: March 31, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
Yep. Left untreated, my infected keitt was losing nearly 100% of her crop.

Appears to be a split caused by a MBBS lesion.

Any mango can get MBBS including resistant varieties like Carrie. The difference is in the severity and percentage of fruit impacted. With Carrie that number will likely be single digits percentage wise, while something like Kent or Keitt can be well north of 50%.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: March 31, 2020, 10:18:31 AM »
The darkening leaf edges may be from excess Boron, or maybe from too steadily-wet roots in highly organic soil.

Roots might be too wet due to rain and I only used potting mix from Lowe’s to plant. I will repot it in sand and topsoil mix and hope for the best, thanks.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: March 31, 2020, 10:20:21 AM »

Thanks.

Looks like anthracnose to me.  Haven't you guys had a lot of rain lately?

We had lot of rain lately, I also found some scales on the leaves following ant trails.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #1521 on: March 31, 2020, 10:52:19 AM »
Ok thanks Jeff and Alex
I suspected it but I didn't realize any mango can get the disease I figured Carrie was immune to it because a couple of years ago I had to two Keitt trees that I have since top worked but lost 100% of their crop, that were right next to this particular Carrie and it was not affected at that time.
  I topworked Pickering ,honey kiss and dwarf Hawaiian in their place
Www.sailing-charters.org

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: March 31, 2020, 05:17:17 PM »

Jeff, if you would only be one with nature, all of your Keitts would be problem-free. Diseases can be stopped with positive energy and compost.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: March 31, 2020, 06:35:57 PM »
:D

Jeff, if you would only be one with nature, all of your Keitts would be problem-free. Diseases can be stopped with positive energy and compost.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: April 20, 2020, 09:40:50 AM »
Question are big veins on the outer skin of a mango normal for Sweet tarts. No pics but basically big veins like on a body builders arms, no discoloration or anything else. I am used to seeing smooth skinned mangos and this is my first real large number of mangos I have gotten.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk