Author Topic: Citrus and Passionfruit insecticide help  (Read 991 times)

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Citrus and Passionfruit insecticide help
« on: November 09, 2019, 05:03:43 PM »
I've never really used insecticides before, but it looks like I need them.

Bugs love my passion fruit vine; I regularly see big holes chewed out of leaves. Bugs like new leaves the best--sometimes, when I can see the plant is going through a growth spurt, it will mainly be a vine extension that grows because I can see most of the new leaves got eaten. I never actually see anything eating it though.

Today, my pumelo tree was crawling with bugs, most of which were the citrus psyllid. The tree already has greening, but with regular fertilizer and root growth hormone application it's starting to come back. But I doubt it can put up with all the bugs on top of greening.

I think insecticide is the best way to deal with the problem. Right now, I'm looking at this one. I don't want one that harms bees, and I'm unsure of the proper time to apply fertilizer. I haven't applied insecticide before; can anyone help? Thanks.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus and Passionfruit insecticide help
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 08:48:43 PM »
That one contains imidacloprid whichs works wonders for me.  In florida your citrus are likely to contract HLB disease from the psyllids, though, no matter what pesticide you use

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 06:42:14 PM »
Though this is not an instantaneous fix, it is sustainable. A biodiverse orchard floor with a mix of flowering native herbs/weeds that attract multiple insects works incredibly well for us here in Florida.  The more variety you can grow the better.  I have found that different predatory wasps that kill the insect herbivores you are trying to kill are attracted to different herbs/weeds that people try to eradicate from their gardens.  Unfortunately most people only like a few different plants in their garden.  Most of the weeds that show up in our orchard floor are actually Florida natives.  We have at least 20-40 species of grass, herbs weeds and have zero insect pest pressures.  We have more bugs than I’ve ever seen anywhere.  We do not mow our orchard floor.  We also grow citrus that is without disease this includes citrus greening.  We only plant seed grown citrus trees sourced from organic sources.  Some are key lime, mandarin, blood orange, lemon, finger lime.  Good luck.

Seed grown grapefruit x at 1 year with zero inputs and no supplemental watering 5’ x 3’
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 07:31:35 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 11:14:49 PM »
I've never really used insecticides before, but it looks like I need them.

Bugs love my passion fruit vine; I regularly see big holes chewed out of leaves. Bugs like new leaves the best--sometimes, when I can see the plant is going through a growth spurt, it will mainly be a vine extension that grows because I can see most of the new leaves got eaten. I never actually see anything eating it though.

Today, my pumelo tree was crawling with bugs, most of which were the citrus psyllid. The tree already has greening, but with regular fertilizer and root growth hormone application it's starting to come back. But I doubt it can put up with all the bugs on top of greening.

I think insecticide is the best way to deal with the problem. Right now, I'm looking at this one. I don't want one that harms bees, and I'm unsure of the proper time to apply fertilizer. I haven't applied insecticide before; can anyone help? Thanks.

when inspecting the new flushes on the 30 lime trees I planted there are consistent problems with two types of pests.  Both lay eggs or breed on the new flush, and the leaves are going to be very inefficient once mature, prone to fungus, and fruits will be stunted from the inefficient leaves.

When I am there I will spray the new flushes as preventative, and trim any damaged areas off the tree and burn.  Also if I get water I will wash and rinse off by hand, because of thorns just cutting off the areas is much easier.

Also would mix in foliar nutrients with the insecticide, so giving the new leaves a good shot of vitamins and protection for a bit.

Using it once a month like this in this limited targed amount I think is very responsible, I also catch all run off in fish ponds, so who knows... perhaps once the trees are larger can make do with hand washing and targeted pruning.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk