Author Topic: kent,valencia pride,dot,sweet tart,harvest moon,Neelam,ugly betty,or.. to buy?  (Read 3141 times)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
I like to add more mangos to my collection, which one shuld I buy?
kent,valencia pride,dot,sweet tart,harvest moon,Neelam,ugly betty, southern blush?
#1 is flavor & fiberless that I seek. I don't care about size or fruit bearing. All I care about is flavor.  I want something better than alphonso.

already added to my cart is edward.  got room for one.  Any advice of which of the above to choose?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
I got a feeling , most here will recommend Sweet tart.   just from what I have read on this forum, its top tier.  sadly have not tried it yet myself.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I like to add more mangos to my collection, which one shuld I buy?
kent,valencia pride,dot,sweet tart,harvest moon,Neelam,ugly betty, southern blush?
#1 is flavor & fiberless that I seek. I don't care about size or fruit bearing. All I care about is flavor.  I want something better than alphonso.

already added to my cart is edward.  got room for one.  Any advice of which of the above to choose?
Kent--good old time mango, but you can do better.
VP:  grows ridiculously fast...very difficult to maintain as a small tree
Dot:  Great mango--has some disease issues but that shouldn't be a problem for you in CA
ST:  The best mango I have had...Everyone needs to plant a ST.
HM:  too many issues with fruit set
Neelam:  you can do better for flavor than Neelam
UB:  Excellent sweet taste...worth consdering (along with Dot)
SB:  excellent mango flavor, worth considering, but not as good IMHO as Dot, ST, or Ugly Betty
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
^ Good write up Jeff

Definitely get some Cali grower inputs.

VP, HM, SB(i think), ST(to a lesser extent) are all vigorous growers so if space is a concern then you might want to reconsider or multigraft

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Sweet is an tasting mango and a very product tree in Southern California.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
 #1 thing I'm looking for is taste/flavors, productivity is not a big concern.

So these are the top 4 : Edward, Dot, ST, or Ugly Betty  per Jeff taste buds.

Frank , you have any of these tree to sale?  I love to get all 4. I will try to make room for it in the yard.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile

Frank , you have any of these tree to sale?  I love to get all 4. I will try to make room for it in the yard.

I'd vote for ST if it's taste/flavor you're looking for. You're in Redwood City California? Have you gotten mango trees to produce fruit there for you? Taste won't matter much if they don't produce, but if you can get them to produce and ripen you'll be in mango heaven eating ST mangoes.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I'd go with Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart.

Simon

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
dwfl: i got a whole bunch of tree last sept. So, first time trying them.  So far, a few of the trees have pea size fruit.  I am hoping to finish the greenhouse in the next few months and throw them in there.

Simon: already got lemon zest in the collection.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Ahh, a greenhouse for some winter protection if/when you need it would be a good idea.  On the rare occasions I see low temps, I can throw the plants I'm worried about into my RV bay inside garage where it can stay much warmer than outside.   Best of luck, knlim. Pina Colada is another great tasting mango I'd recommend if you can source it - they are kind of ugly and somewhat small size mangoes but the flavor is great.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile

Behl may on California rootstock like the ones above