Author Topic: will this hot peppers work against rats, squirrel,raccoons?  (Read 1259 times)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
will this hot peppers work against rats, squirrel,raccoons?
« on: October 22, 2019, 02:14:50 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uNpjqH-mQQ

will this hot peppers work against rats, squirrel,raccoons? I thinking of growing it and grind it in blender and spray it on the cherimoyas.  But will it make the cherimoyas hot too?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: will this hot peppers work against rats, squirrel,raccoons?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 02:32:01 AM »
They're mammals, should work.  It would only make the outside of the fruit hot if you spray it, and you don't eat cherimoya skin so no problem there.  I've used this to protect young trees from deer

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 08:01:32 AM »
No. It will not work. I've used various hot pepper powders, sprays, waxes, etc. and all it does is 'kick it up a notch' and add some extra flavor for the iguanas, rats, squirrels, raccoons, etc. The only thing that stops them is a well-placed bb pellet to the skull.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 09:09:10 AM »
No, it will not work. It may deter them just slightly but they will usually still cause damage. There are lots of experiments posted on YouTube

Simon

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 01:35:39 PM »
I had some issues with coons digging up my potted plants for grubs (I assume). I put some broken pieces of a clay pot over top, and they can't seem to lift them. It worked for the few plants they were disturbing.

If they come back, I'll be trapping them and taking them miles away. I do have the arms to deal with them, but, I'll try a humane way first.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 03:38:01 PM »
If they come back, I'll be trapping them and taking them miles away. I do have the arms to deal with them, but, I'll try a humane way first.
Most places have rules against relocation.
https://www.discoverwildcare.org/wildlife-resources/trapping-and-relocating-wildlife/#targetText=California%20state%20law%20prohibits%20relocation,minimum%20of%20every%2024%20hours.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 04:57:57 PM »
Most places have rules against relocation.
https://www.discoverwildcare.org/wildlife-resources/trapping-and-relocating-wildlife/#targetText=California%20state%20law%20prohibits%20relocation,minimum%20of%20every%2024%20hours.

Good info on that. Thanks. Guess I'll have to find another deterrent...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk