Author Topic: Grafting verry young seedlings  (Read 1768 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Grafting verry young seedlings
« on: April 07, 2020, 07:47:07 PM »
This is my favorite master grafter to take lessons from.
He uses regular alimentary plastic foil and grafts just germinated walnut seedlings.
The scions he uses are verry important he says,and uses the longest 1 year old scions from the tree.
The walnut its also a difficult tree to graft wich its almost impossible to grow by tissue culture and thats why the grafted walnuts are soo expensive compared to otther grafted trees.
https://youtu.be/xkd-VOk2s5A

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting verry young seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 12:01:28 PM »
Thank you for the link.  The video is very easy to follow as you can clearly see each step and everything the Romanian gentleman is doing. 

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 05:11:10 PM »
Master grafter its grafting deciduous plum after it leafed out,in the summer.
So its possible to graft such trees in the summer also.
https://youtu.be/L55YkzaZh14

And here its the result of that grafted tree.
https://youtu.be/8w2seiIUFWg

Odenwald

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 06:04:08 PM »
I don’t think I can grow plum or walnut here in Florida but the videos are informative on grafting techniques.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 06:27:09 PM »
Seawalnut, nice little video but grafting existing tree isn't real hard it's just right timing and right scion wood!
Check out this site;  Budding, Grafting and Planting Walnut Trees - UCANR - YouTube_filesBudding, Grafting and Planting Walnut Trees - UCANR - YouTube_files

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 07:40:33 PM »
You can grow walnut trees in the south of Florida.
In fact i think you might even have wild native walnuts there like Juglans Jamaicensis thats native to Cuba and Jamaica.
Also juglans Neotropica,a few otther south american and mexican walnuts would do well and from the same genus,Oreumunea sp and Alfaroa sp.
Somme south asian juglansaceae would do well also in that warm weather including the probably extinct ,or nowhere to be found now,vietnamese beaked hickory ( wich shares traits with hickoryes and walnuts).
All these trees how ever,are highly endangered and it would be really hard to get a few seeds.
They are all edible and tasty just as the carpathian walnut,but they have thicker shells.

As for plums,there is also the african plum ,Prunus Africana wich can grow in tropical places but this is also highly endangered and would be impossible to get seeds.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 07:44:32 PM »
Seawalnut, nice little video but grafting existing tree isn't real hard it's just right timing and right scion wood!
Check out this site;  Budding, Grafting and Planting Walnut Trees - UCANR - YouTube_filesBudding, Grafting and Planting Walnut Trees - UCANR - YouTube_files
For a novice grafter like i am ,grafting a seedling that has just emerged from the seed and hasnt even lignified, its impressive.
I can barely graft plums and peaches and i dont even try to graft walnuts iet because i have low experience and verry low successes.

Odenwald

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 08:22:15 PM »
The hunt for walnut and plum will start when the epidemic ends.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 11:43:30 AM »
As an enthusiastic novice grafter I find any grafting demos interesting.
Thanks for sharing!

Kevin Jones

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 03:58:24 PM »
I don’t think I can grow plum or walnut here in Florida but the videos are informative on grafting techniques.

I think you may can; you just need to find a variety that requires low chill, and it should do fine.

At my place we rarely go under 10C (about 50F), and we have both, and they produce just fine.
And just to clarify, it's not any tropical species that I'm growing, but just some Prunus domestica hybrids, and Juglans regia. Juglans nigra also grows very well here.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

Odenwald

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 05:07:58 PM »
Thanks for all the knowledge.  That’s amazing to hear about Madeira.  Such a beautiful island and gorgeous climate.  I travelled there around 1980 and have memories of how lush the vegetation was.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 08:36:19 PM »
Hypoluxo plum low chill plum also self pollinating.