Author Topic: Do mango and avocado trees planted around one’s house affect the for sale value?  (Read 839 times)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
This is a 2 parter. So you have a home on a 1/2 acre corner lot with a pool and around the home you have a mixture of 10 beautiful mango and avocado trees 6-12 feet tall. Will this increase the value of your home?
Part 2. Same home but with close to 300 of the same mango and avocado trees do you think that this would have an effect on your home’s for sale value?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
I had many fruit trees planted in my former house in St Augustine FL, Sold In 2 Weeks and made a profit 👍,

The new owners removed all the fruit trees ..

Ed
Zone 10

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
I had many fruit trees planted in my former house in St Augustine FL, Sold In 2 Weeks and made a profit 👍,

The new owners removed all the fruit trees ..

Ed
That's why I removed most of my trees, especially from the front yard!  Thankfully none were destroyed, and all were planted elsewhere.  Buyers look for nice landscaping, which makes your house easier to sell and increases the value a little.  I'd say generally they don't mind a few fruit trees and will probably find they enjoy the fruit unless they really hate critters!
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
I think the ultimate scheme is to plant three avocado trees by your house and when you eventually sell it you do the selling. Reasoning is that avocados are being sold as a super food. I am familiar with a few food philosophies (such as low-carb) where they are promoted as being very healthy for reason X.
The three avocado trees bearing at different times
I also think that a house that has one huge mango tree in the backyard is more marketable than what us fanatics have.

You want to sell a "fruit forest" house? Try reaching buyers up north in Chicago, NY etc. Buyers who want  to move here (or just as a second home) and have instant mangoes and avocados in their yard. There is definitely a market for this in large Northern cities and other Northern areas that have money.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
I read that this tropical fruit pioneer's yard was completely decimated by the new owners. At least this took place after his passing at age 92

Bill Whitman - Rare Fruit & Vegetable Council of Broward ...
rfvcbroward.org/bill-whitman
Mr. Whitman & His Estate. Bill Whitman was a founder of the Rare Fruit Council International, based in Miami, and was its first president, from 1955 to 1960. Truly one of the real "rare fruit" pioneers who started the rare fruit movement. He was the only person who grew and successfully fruited Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana)...

Bill Whitman, 92, Is Dead; Scoured the Earth for Rare Fruit
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/04/us/04whitman.html
Jun 04, 2007 · Among rare-fruit devotees, Bill Whitman, as he was known, was hailed as the only person to have coaxed a mangosteen tree into bearing fruit outdoors in the continental United States. Native to Southeast Asia, mangosteen is notoriously finicky and cold-sensitive.