Author Topic: Haas and Haas Carmen  (Read 1237 times)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
Haas and Haas Carmen
« on: July 20, 2020, 01:18:40 AM »
Can one of you Californians please answer this question. The Haas avocados in Cal can be eaten in November but you leave them on the trees to become better as time passes. If they turn black/brown say Thanksgiving will they stay on the tree till May/June/? Do they stay green on the trees all the ay to May/June?
Thanks

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Haas and Haas Carmen
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 12:13:37 PM »
HASS, as in Rudolph Hass, who grew the first tree from a seed in 1926 in La Habra Heights, CA.
John

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 12:51:38 PM »
Hass doesn't turn black on the tree.  They will get a little color if they are sitting in the sun but normally stay full green until picked even 15 months of hang.

They are not ready in November.  It may be edible but it's no where near ready by then. 
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 01:05:37 PM »
Hass doesn't turn black on the tree.  They will get a little color if they are sitting in the sun but normally stay full green until picked even 15 months of hang.

They are not ready in November.  It may be edible but it's no where near ready by then.
I knew that what was the case with Hass in CA, and I thought that was universal.  So Weiss, are you saying your Hass turns black on the tree?
John

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 02:11:31 PM »
Hey Weiss,

I always heard Hass didn’t do well in Florida? Does this Carmen variety do better? I wouldn’t mind getting a tree if you recommend it with your experience

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 07:54:58 PM »
6 years ago I brought back from California 5 tiny Haas Carmen trees in a Samsonite suitcase to Miami. Previously I tried to grow about 5 other Haas related avocado varieties. The Haas the main Haas would develop for awhile then fail. My 6 year old Haas Carmen trees produce a lot of fruit and they taste exactly like the fruit in Publix.
They do turn black on the tree and the season is the first week in November to Feb. I asked about them turning black on the tree in Cal because they do turn black on the tree in Miami. But even though they ripen way earlier than Cal Carmen’s they are just as delicious. There is only 1 person that propagates them in Florida as it’s off patent but he isn’t able to call it Carmen yet as it’s still copy protected. He calls them Mexican Haas. He is in Homestead. Here is a video of one of my trees.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0V0oCHwjJqr0pPmnhowMpj5Kg

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 05:24:52 AM »
Wow that’s awesome Weiss thanks for sharing the video and feedback. Now to find room for another tree ;)

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 01:29:01 AM »
The different season may be either from differences in climate or it may be one of the successive flowerings. My tree flowers 2 to 3 times per year, and it's hard to tell which group the fruit comes from.