Author Topic: Mango Bacterial Black Spot in SoCal?  (Read 1003 times)

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Mango Bacterial Black Spot in SoCal?
« on: February 25, 2021, 02:48:48 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've being reading for the last days all the posts I could find in the forum about MBBS and one thing got specially my attention: I didn't see any reference to cases in SoCal. Since every year  there is some trade of scions from Florida to SoCal, and the disease has been present already for quite a time there, I wonder why is that? Scions are less likely to transport the bacteria than fruit and leaves? Or did I miss the posts referring to recent cases in SoCal? Hope the answer is the first one but I'd like to hear your experience on this.

Cheers.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Re: Mango Bacterial Black Spot in SoCal?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 06:36:28 PM »
I am not in US but I think Florida is humid and California is dry.
Some of my mangoes died in the greenhouse because of high humidity and lower temperatures, while the others who stayed at dry and low temperature looks like they survived.
Also those treated with copper survived better. Copper is the only bactericide that can keep the bacteria away, unfortunately is washed always and has a build up in soil

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 08:08:31 PM »
Environmental conditions are not conducive for MBBS to live/spread/thrive.
- Rob

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 08:30:05 PM »
I have not noticed any MBBS on any of my mango trees. Powdery Mildew is more common in the spring with certain varieties.

In the summer our humidity averages 25-55% and when we have Santa Anna winds humidity can drop below 10%.

I don't think it is an issue in our Mediterranean climate, quite different than Florida (Sub-tropical). 

Johnny

Jose Spain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 07:47:40 AM »
Thanks for the answers, yes, I thought the same about climate, it must be part of the explanation as the MBBS as far as I know is still absent in Mediterranean Basin. And yet is present in countries like United Arab Emirates https://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1094/PDIS.2001.85.9.928, where climate is much drier and hot than SoCal or Mediterranean coasts and the few rains happen in winter. The disease is also a big problem in South Africa but I've being checking the climate of the regions that hold the biggest part of commercial production and there most of rains come in summer like in Florida. I wonder if mangos are doing ok in the southern part of South Africa, where climate is also Mediterranean. Anyway if there are not cases reported from SoCal I guess we can assume is a good signal for anyone growing mangoes in similar climates with not rain during summer.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 01:22:12 AM »
Jose, I believe I have seen MBBS disease on multiple occasions in SoCal. I believe I had it on one of my Lemon Zest fruit but I did not send it in for identification.

It would be great to hear if anyone else believes they have seen this in SoCal. My yard is extremely wet in the early morning and there is often water dripping from my roof from the condensation.

Simon

Jose Spain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 07:08:28 AM »
Thank you Simon, let's see if anybody else has similar observations in SoCal. Did you or your friends experience yield losses on infected trees due to these possible cases?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk