Author Topic: Marlys Mango  (Read 670 times)

BeckettB

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
Marlys Mango
« on: July 13, 2021, 05:51:49 PM »
Hello All,

I've searched all over the internet trying to find more information on this variety, but there doesn't seem to be much out there! 

Trying to determine if the Marlys is best left to ripen on the tree or if I should be picking mature green?  Only have two fruit and really don't want to screw this up hah! 

The shoulders have filled out and there is slight tinge of red near the stem.  Flowers first appeared end of February.  Located in Phoenix, AZ and needless to say it's really hot, so my gut says I should be picking them soon. 

Any input or advice for this mango newb is much appreciated! 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Marlys Mango
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 06:27:40 PM »
First comment that many wont like, tree is probably rmtoo small to be holding the fruit.

As to the fruit itself, also known as All Sumner, it is in the classic flavor group and average at very best.  It should shed that haze and the colors should brighten up before picking (colors are similar to a Haden).
- Rob

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 07:47:17 PM »
I assume you found this during your search.

https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/marlys

It does not tell you when it is ripe to pick but it says a few things about the tree (for Florida)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 08:07:02 PM »

It does not tell you when it is ripe to pick but it says a few things about the tree (for Florida)

In Florida, I have seen it ripen in July, August and if I recall, into early September on occasion.
- Rob

BeckettB

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 01:10:11 PM »
First comment that many wont like, tree is probably rmtoo small to be holding the fruit.

As to the fruit itself, also known as All Sumner, it is in the classic flavor group and average at very best.  It should shed that haze and the colors should brighten up before picking (colors are similar to a Haden).

It was a 7gal tree when I planted it in 2018, still pretty small overall though so I won't argue with that!  First time it has flowered since being planted and I didn't have the heart to pull them lol.  Thank you for your replies Rob, I will hold off on picking until the colors start to brighten. 

I did find that link, thank you though!  There are a few YT videos as well (Truly Tropical) but haven't found anything on ideal time to pick.  Figured this would be the place to ask :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk