Author Topic: Atemoya ID please  (Read 742 times)

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
Atemoya ID please
« on: July 22, 2021, 09:49:27 PM »

Fruit weighed 830grams and tastes unbelievable, had approx 20-25 seeds. Can anyone ID this variety based on the pictures??

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya ID please
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 05:45:03 AM »
Anyone ?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 06:59:20 AM »
Ok its obviously not an african pride or gefner which are pretty routine in FNQ as it isnt seedy enough and sounds like it taste too good to be those. Its also a bit smooth. The inside appears to be typical of the mammoth clan and the scuffing is less common on hillary white and pp. Looks like a pinks mammoth whch is highly variable in shape and like its decedents. 830g is unremarkable with occasional PMs reaching over 4kg. They have an interesting story. It is the oldest atemoya in all probability and almost got lost in Brisbane floods in the 1890's. Eat one with an AP and you'll be hocking up the AP and complaining about the seeds. Are some of the seeds hollow and can be squeezed in?

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 07:13:55 PM »
Ok its obviously not an african pride or gefner which are pretty routine in FNQ as it isnt seedy enough and sounds like it taste too good to be those. Its also a bit smooth. The inside appears to be typical of the mammoth clan and the scuffing is less common on hillary white and pp. Looks like a pinks mammoth whch is highly variable in shape and like its decedents. 830g is unremarkable with occasional PMs reaching over 4kg. They have an interesting story. It is the oldest atemoya in all probability and almost got lost in Brisbane floods in the 1890's. Eat one with an AP and you'll be hocking up the AP and complaining about the seeds. Are some of the seeds hollow and can be squeezed in?

Mike thanks for your expert assistance my gut feeling was pinks mammoth based on comparing to pictures of other types but im not an expert.  The taste of this thing is incredible best tasting fruit i have ever had except for durian.  4kg that must be like the size of a coconut!!!!! that is incredible.  I would like to track down the African pride and Gefner and compare to this possible pinks mammoth.  Im not sure about the seeds mike i didn't squeeze them i know a fair few floated when put in water.

Acetogenin

• USA, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 09:47:21 PM »
Looks like african pride type 2 to me.

Type 1 is seedy
Type 2 not seedy at all and has wasp hive like contours

Ap2 also smells unique…like a musty asian wet market with rotting fruit
Ap2 also has rubber like texture to meat

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 05:27:59 AM »
Ace I know what youre thinking pal. Does AP demonstrate phonotypic plasticity, is it really the same as Israeli Kaller and do seedlings show variation in fruit form. Hell yeah. In fact most varieties can have the cherimoyer scalloing in some circumstances.
Seedling fruit is turning up in the markets here with intermediate characteristics between AP and mmmoth and I have posted pics of these here before. Up to 2.5 kg, cone shapd with scalloping below and a collar or tubercules. Despite their unresolved parentage they taste pretty good. I am sure there are several selections of AP getting around and it getting harder to identify them in the supermarkets here. AP is still considered of to export and they go from SE Qld to parts of Asia but the big bux are with the mammoth clan.
The maroochy research station is and atemoya or should I say Annona island of Dr Mareau with a production line of new types that makes the news and then we never see or hear of them again. I think the conveyor belt empties into a ravine somewhere. They have been trying to develop red skinned and even red fleshed atemoyas with dessert qualities as good as PP or HW.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk