Author Topic: CCPP budwood order  (Read 2325 times)

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
CCPP budwood order
« on: September 24, 2021, 12:13:36 AM »
Hi,

I am planning to make another order from CCPP.  I will order XIE SHAN SATSUMA, but want to order other varieties beside it.

What are some of the recommendation?  I am looking for easy to peel, seedless and good balance of flavor.

Thanks in advance.
Al

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: CCPP budwood order
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 10:47:16 AM »
Shiranui has been very vigorous for me. Set 16 fruit less than a year after budding. So heavy it broke the branch.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 03:18:25 PM »
Goyo626, yes I had the same problem when I grafted the sumo/shiranui on my trees. You should remove all but 1-2 fruits on the first year fruited branch since they weigh so much. On the second year I let 13 fruits stay on my grafted branch and it was still too heavy with fruits that it cracked. But since I caught the problem before the branch completely severed off, I was able to tape it back and put a large support stick and got all the fruits to ripen (tasted good) and the half broken branch healed fine now. It took another year for this branch (5/8" diameter) to heal. Lesson learned, don't let all the fruits hang, only 1-2 so you can verify its the correct variety.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 03:33:14 PM »
My suggestion on mandarin varieties that I like on my trees are;
- Xie Shan
- Shiranui
- Ponkan
- Kishu seedless
- Honey mandarin (VI-133)
- Murcott mandarin (get the VI-147, not VI-462)
- Tango (not available from UCR)
- Gold Nugget (not available from UCR)
- Yosemite Gold (not available from UCR)
- Shasta Gold (not available from UCR)

I have a lot of other varieties but they don't taste as good as the above.

Goyo626

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 03:40:27 PM »
Goyo626, yes I had the same problem when I grafted the sumo/shiranui on my trees. You should remove all but 1-2 fruits on the first year fruited branch since they weigh so much. On the second year I let 13 fruits stay on my grafted branch and it was still too heavy with fruits that it cracked. But since I caught the problem before the branch completely severed off, I was able to tape it back and put a large support stick and got all the fruits to ripen (tasted good) and the half broken branch healed fine now. It took another year for this branch (5/8" diameter) to heal. Lesson learned, don't let all the fruits hang, only 1-2 so you can verify its the correct variety.

Luckily i have another graft of it. I cut off the broken part and since its so vigorous it will likely branch out right below the cut and keep growing. Ill make sure to remove most fruits next time.

Has anyone tried maltaise demi sanguine and boukhabza?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 03:51:16 PM »
SC400 your list of good tasting fruit is right on.  Ponkan could possible rise near the top of the list if it did not produce so many seeds.  Ponkan would be a good variety for UCR to put through an irradiate program to make a seedless Ponkan.  My Ponkan tree has a nice crop this year.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 03:54:07 PM »
I have those grafted on my trees, hope I get fruits in a few years. Also have the Smith Red blood orange grafted but no fruit yet. If you like the juicy sweet oranges, then get the Late Lane navel orange (VI-352) which is the best orange I have tasted so far (and I have all of them). The fruits on the Late Lane is large (476g), seedless and excellent for eating out of hand. I had over 25 fruits on my two grafted branches and all ripened to full size.

Goyo626

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 04:09:43 PM »
I did end up budding lane late navel. How much better is it than regular washington navel?

Earlier this year i took a couple trips to arvin Bakersfield while there i visited a place called Johnston farms. Picked up a couple boxes of navel oranges and they were really good. Almost creamsicle flavored but the person selling them didnt know or didnt want to tell me the variety of navel it was.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 04:23:34 PM »
I don't grow the Washington navel so can't make the comparison side by side. It's much sweeter than store bought Washington navel, also larger and easy to peel.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 08:13:06 PM »
Thanks everyone replied.  I know what I should order.

Another question, this is the Xie Shan grafted I did last year November.  It doesn't should any grow for almost a year.  Do you think it is surviving?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 11:22:00 PM »
Thanks everyone replied.  I know what I should order.

Another question, this is the Xie Shan grafted I did last year November.  It doesn't should any grow for almost a year.  Do you think it is surviving?

I would probably give it a chance. I have had an oroblanco graft take over a year to start growing.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 11:40:28 PM »
pinkturtle, the scion is still green so it's fine. I have some Italian scions grafted that took almost 2 yrs before the buds and leaves grew out, now its doing fine.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2021, 12:57:02 AM »
Thanks everyone......

Ckitto

• USA, CA, Hacienda Heights
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 02:35:30 AM »
My suggestion on mandarin varieties that I like on my trees are;
- Xie Shan
- Shiranui
- Ponkan
- Kishu seedless
- Honey mandarin (VI-133)
- Murcott mandarin (get the VI-147, not VI-462)
- Tango (not available from UCR)
- Gold Nugget (not available from UCR)
- Yosemite Gold (not available from UCR)
- Shasta Gold (not available from UCR)

I have a lot of other varieties but they don't taste as good as the above.

Kaz,
     What about Kiyomi Tangor? I remember your post from some time ago. How does it stack up against these? Asking as I am planning to get scion from CCPP this coming Spring.

I also grafted 3 ponkan scions this year. They are very tiny and grow very slow. Hopefully I get fruits in 2 years.

BTW, your Vista loquat scions are pushing new leaves. I am thrilled 😊 :blank:

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 03:18:41 AM »
Ckitto, the Kiyomi is a very productive fruit tree, I already have more fruits on it now then I do on the Shiranui, Tango, or Xie Shan. Also since its a tangor the fruit is large like a Shiranui, but it is not as sweet as Shiranui or Xie Shan. If you wait until its just ripe it does taste very good, but if you pick it to early (even though outside is fully yellow) it will just be very juicy but not much sweetness so its not on the above list.

Good to hear the Vista White is doing well. You should get fruits by 2nd year since the cuttings are all from fruiting branches on my tree.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 06:53:29 PM »

My Washington fruits are very tasty and flavorful when picked at right time.  But if you let them sit on desk for a week, they will taste just like those from supermarket.

I don't grow the Washington navel so can't make the comparison side by side. It's much sweeter than store bought Washington navel, also larger and easy to peel.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2021, 01:09:06 PM »
Received my budwood today.  This is a 3rd time I am trying to graft Xie Shan.  Hope I get some good result this time.

1950s american bandstand dance crossword