Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283555 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #850 on: June 03, 2021, 12:28:05 PM »
Hey Syed,

Format is very helpful, and enjoy reading them. On glen aroma I totally agree, mango is beautiful in looks with strong aroma but the ones I’ve had that aroma doesn’t translate to meaningful taste for some reason. Looking forward to Zill-0 review, I also heard from a friend that went to Zill’s yesterday and picked up some Zill-21 which evidently he was told this is first year the tree has flowered.

One thing that may also be of interest to add in these reviews is comment on possible parentage. For ex “ I was at Zills and bought this new mango that’s supposedly a cross between Carrie and Valencia pride” we know this as Val-Carrie yes, and we can also see it evident in the look and taste. I think by adding parentage info people come to an idea in their mind what the flavor may resemble if having had any of the parents.

-joe

Only problem with this are:

- bad parentage info being spread.  We dont always know the actual parentage and we all know vad information spreads like wildfire.

- the parentage may not play a role in its offspring.  For instance,  I cant say the Valencia Pride lent any characteristics to the Val Carrie (assuming VP was the other parent); I don't see any Julie characteristics in Taralay; both Edgar and Coco Cream are purported offspring of Edward and Gary.
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #851 on: June 03, 2021, 12:28:34 PM »
Hey Syed,

Format is very helpful, and enjoy reading them. On glen aroma I totally agree, mango is beautiful in looks with strong aroma but the ones I’ve had that aroma doesn’t translate to meaningful taste for some reason. Looking forward to Zill-0 review, I also heard from a friend that went to Zill’s yesterday and picked up some Zill-21 which evidently he was told this is first year the tree has flowered.

One thing that may also be of interest to add in these reviews is comment on possible parentage. For ex “ I was at Zills and bought this new mango that’s supposedly a cross between Carrie and Valencia pride” we know this as Val-Carrie yes, and we can also see it evident in the look and taste. I think by adding parentage info people come to an idea in their mind what the flavor may resemble if having had any of the parents.

-joe

I agree, parentage or even suspected parentage would be a nice addition.
I got the Z-0 budwood from the USDA, don't think its part of Gary Zill's new breeding program though.
Squam has a write up on his site.

I'm trying to test the season and disease resistance of these random varieties.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #852 on: June 03, 2021, 01:12:01 PM »
This mornings breakfast consisted of: (Left to right)

Bailey was on point today, sweet, rich, classic flavor. Everything you want in a Florida-flavored mango. Only thing I've tasted that is similar in "classic flavor" greatness is Mulgoba
The Cogshall....poor Cogshall. Shouldn't have been in this tasting. It couldn't handle the company. Taste like water after eating the Baileys.
Edgar, this one surprised me, I thought the uneven ripening would have destroyed this but it was pretty good. Reminded me of a top-notch Neelam near the end of the season. Nice mild "Indian/West Indian" flavor.
The Z-0 really reminds me of a brighter Zinc. The tree and fruit seem to be smaller too.
Think texture of PPK, the flavor is brighter and slightly milder than a Zinc

Baileys Marvel was the clear winner.

Baileys Marvel, Cogshall, Edgar, Z-0

Baileys Marvel 544g, Pit is 35g (Pit to Fruit is 6.4%)
Mono

Cogshall 336g, Pit is 27g (Pit to Fruit is 8.0%)
Mono

Edgar 375g, Pit is 17g (Pit to Fruit is 4.5%)
Aborted seed

Z-0 191g Pit is 28g (Pit to Fruit is 15%)
Poly

All peeled:

Better shot of the seeds

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: June 03, 2021, 07:58:49 PM »
Edgar looks pretty good from that comparison.
How is the taste?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: June 03, 2021, 11:56:37 PM »
- the parentage may not play a role in its offspring.  For instance,  I cant say the Valencia Pride lent any characteristics to the Val Carrie (assuming VP was the other parent); I don't see any Julie characteristics in Taralay; both Edgar and Coco Cream are purported offspring of Edward and Gary.
This is true. Sometimes the fruit from a seedling tree will have no similarities to the fruit the seed came out of.  I've experienced this recently with two mango trees near my house.  One neighbor grew a tree from a seed, and he showed me the tree the seed came from.  ALL the characteristics of the two fruits are dissimilar, and I mean totally. The seedling fruit is way better, but this isn't always the case
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 10:22:21 AM by johnb51 »
John

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #855 on: June 06, 2021, 08:54:40 AM »
Sorry guys I've been slacking.
I need to post the valcarrie, Carrie, Angie, dwarf Hawaiin line up

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: June 06, 2021, 02:06:43 PM »
Sorry guys I've been slacking.
I need to post the valcarrie, Carrie, Angie, dwarf Hawaiin line up
Come on, S.  Get with the program!
John

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #857 on: June 06, 2021, 02:17:40 PM »
Ha, I'm trying. I'll post it tonight.
The spice challenge

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 12, 2021, 01:30:37 PM »
I’m in California and was hoping to get LemonZest tree. I’m reading people comparing it to orange essence, coconut cream and you mention pina colada/peach comblar. I know taste is personal but what would you recommend for overall taste and hardiness of tree?

hahah that incredibly rich flavor is precisely what I find irresistable about the LZ. If you think that was intense, you should try the pina colada hahahah. The first time I had a pina colada, I got a mild upset stomach due to the overwhelming sugar content. A few folks were calling the LZ 'bland' when compared to the O-2 (aka Peach Cobbler), so I can only imagine how intense the flavor is on that one. I think a lot of us mango lubbers enjoy that intense flavor.

When holding this mango up close you can smell the "lemon zest", it has its own distinct smell. The mango was just over 5in long and weighed 471g, it was a bright yellow-orange when ripe. When I cut open the mango it revealed a bright yellow-orange flesh that was perfectly ripe. The juice from the flesh was syrupy and coated the flesh glazing it rather than being thin and running off. The polyembryonic seed was long and somewhat thick, but there was plenty of flesh to eat. The texture of the flesh was firm, thick, creamy, and completely fiberless. The taste was an intense endless sweet lemon with a slight honeydew nuance that captivated my tongue. At first bite I was surprised at what was going on and as I ate further I gained a real appreciation for what the Zill clan has done with this mango it is truly a unique mango that lives up to the lemon zest name. Towards the end i did not have a craving for another one though. I think this was my body's natural response to something that is so intensely sweet and lemony that if trying to eating another one I would incur an upset stomach. Overall I'm glad I planted out this tree and am looking forward to next years harvest.

-JoeP450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 16, 2021, 08:34:36 PM »
Nebula

Picked up this mango from mangomen. I am assuming it’s name resembles the appearance of the mango which looks like a nebula! Pretty fitting name I must say. I’m just recovering from a head cold so I wasn’t able to pick up any scent from the outside skin of the mango, though once cut open it reveled a bright yellow fiberless flesh with some viscous juice. The flesh was firm and some creamy texture. The flavor was tangy and sweet through and through with a lemony flavor resembling the lemon head candy. Closest to the skin I tasted some resin that reminded me of Fairchild. Overall I really enjoyed this mango.

-Joe

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 16, 2021, 08:45:00 PM »
Mercurial Marvel

I got this mango from mangomen in homestead. Imagine a lemon meringue that’s really, really, fibrous minus the meringue …… just look at the seed and you will see. Granted guava has some fiber but this is on another level, maybe a good juicing mango 🤷‍♂️

-joe

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 16, 2021, 08:59:01 PM »
Orion,

Picked this mango up from mangomen in homestead. Again caveat recovering from a head cold, but didn’t notice a smell to the outside peel. It’s a canary yellow peel and when opened reveled a yellow orange fiberless flesh with some viscous juice. The mango is sweet with a very smooth melting flesh, I didn’t notice any complex resin twist throughout this mango. Eating the flesh closest to the peel I got a peppery taste like that found in Edward.

-joe

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: June 16, 2021, 09:12:42 PM »
Ground control to Major Tom
- Rob

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 16, 2021, 09:15:39 PM »
Sunny,

I got this mango from mangomen in homestead. Bright yellow on the outside I did not notice any smell to the outside (head cold). When I cut this mango open it revealed a yellow orange fiberless flesh with some viscous juice. The flesh texture was melting/creamy, it had a complex resin that reminded me of something between Venus and a mild sweet tart. The complex resin flavor was present throughout each bite. Pretty interesting mango.

Will cut open the seeds of nebula, Orion, mercurial marvel, and sunny and post when the husks dry out.

-joe

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 22, 2021, 08:06:39 PM »
That's a nice Sunny! I like it a lot too. Yum

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 22, 2021, 10:01:38 PM »
Joe, Is it safe to say that the “celestial series” is not quite out of this world?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 22, 2021, 11:19:18 PM »
Venus has been really good.

Simon

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 25, 2021, 03:39:26 PM »

This is a Kathy (k3) (kryptonite), we just ate. Picked a week ago and ripened in the rice bin. The color is uneven and so was the taste, the yellow parts were sweeter and the greener areas had more acid to them, but every part was superb. It was a wonderful eating experience where you can taste all levels of ripeness. I don’t think I’ve enjoyed a mango this much. The taste was in the indochinese group, no resin, no fiber, edible skin.. The seed was poly. On a side note , this fruit was from a graft I did last summer on a mature tree.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 25, 2021, 04:54:01 PM »
Venus has been really good.

Simon

Are u eating Venus in SoCal already? I thought it was a late one, which for your climate must be around sep-oct?

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 25, 2021, 11:44:09 PM »
Here is “king lion”

Picked up this mango from mangomen in homestead. This mango had a faint sweet smell to the outside. It was a yellowing green with a light give so I decided to try it. Inside was a nice yellow orange fiberless flesh. The flesh was delicate and buttery. The flavor reminded me of something between Malika and sunrise … mildly sweet, some honey flavor with a lil spice near the peel. The seed is monoembryonic.

-joe

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: June 25, 2021, 11:54:05 PM »
Joe, Is it safe to say that the “celestial series” is not quite out of this world?

Here is a list of what’s growing on down at mangomen, just an incredible selection and new ones I’ve never had. Of the recent new ones I reviewed a theme seems to be more tangy, tart and indochinese flavors besides the king lion. The mercurial marvel is not good, the nebula I find really tart but I like it overall and I would grow if get the chance.

Also nebula is poly embryonic

-joe

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 26, 2021, 09:24:12 AM »
Do you or does anyone know the origins of all these Mangomen varieties?  Mostly their seedlings?  Some they got from Zill and gave them names?
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 26, 2021, 10:35:12 AM »
King Leon is a Glenn seedling.

Diab came from Egypt, but probably originally from India. He has a hilarious story of how that mango was aquired, but not mine to tell.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 27, 2021, 01:33:47 PM »
Freeze Dried Coconut Cream Mango,

I have been curious recently about ways to preserve an over abundance of fruit and one such way is the freeze drying process. In the past I have had freeze dried bananas and strawberries but they just didn’t do it for me and I wasn’t impressed. Recently though I have been really impressed with the freeze dried mango from brand called “crispy fruit.” This brand is imported/produced in China (should I be worried 🤔) but what is interesting is the resin flavor of whatever mangos they are using translates well into the freeze dried form which provides for a delicious snack that is available year round vs the bland fresh mangos found in the supermarkets. The freeze dryers are expensive and so in order for me to jump into the home freeze drying game I have to be sold on the quality of product.

A few days ago I saw Sulcata Grove advertising freeze dried coconut cream mango on their Instagram and I jumped on it. The price was steep at 40$ included shipping, but I was stoked to see how the flavor profile of coconut cream, a mango I’m familiar with, translated into the freeze dried form. I received my package today along with a free sample of freeze dried mai 2 jackfruit. The flavor translated well, imagine a coconut cream mango transduced into a lucky charm, sweet with resin flavor, in a form that can be eaten year round.    As a side note the jackfruit was also delicious.

-Joe

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 27, 2021, 05:21:51 PM »
I've been looking at them for a while for things like peaches which have huge crops and short shelf lives.

Do you know what brand of dehydrator they are using?