Author Topic: Leaf miner on new grafts  (Read 614 times)

Eric Kimball

• USA/Ca/Ventura
    • View Profile
Leaf miner on new grafts
« on: May 02, 2021, 02:29:00 AM »
Hi and thank you in advance. I made my first attempt at grafting this Feburary and had great success. However now that the grafts are growing new shoots I've spotted what I believe to be signs of the infamous leaf miner. I've read the recent and very informative "neem" thread but unfortunately the plants are in yucatan and I won't be able to get the Bayer or Macho 2 out there for another 2 months and I'm worried it might be to late. Are the little grafts too young for the bayer insect control? Any other suggestions to keep these alive in the meantime is greatly appreciated. Thanks -Eric

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Re: Leaf miner on new grafts
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 09:43:17 AM »
All you can do now is squeeze them with your finger. When grafting I always treat the rootstock with Bayer Advance before I graft & again after the graft starts to flush.

Eric Kimball

• USA/Ca/Ventura
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 10:57:51 AM »
Thank you lazz, I didn't consider that. Would it be a good idea to remove the most infected/affected leaves?

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 11:09:32 AM »
No, kill the insect by squeezing it inside the leaves, then treat it with Bayer.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 12:33:15 PM »
The miner will be at the end of the trail.  With a tree as small as yours is presently it should be quick and easy.