Author Topic: If u started over and plant three mango trees which varieties would you choose.  (Read 3809 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
If I had to start over I think I would choose Pickering Little gem and honey kiss. Happy holidays to you all :)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 11:46:11 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
This is definitely a thread that needs to take up space...
- Rob

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Just starting out as a complete mango novice and have only three: 'Beverly', 'Ice Cream', and 'Irwin'.  Chose these three because they are all dwarf or semi-dwarf trees and they got rather positive ratings on "Ken Roll's Mango Variety List" from June 2018. 

If I were to get rid of one of these three I would prolly replace it with 'Pickering' because of the things I read in a recent thread on here about the quality of that particular cultivar.  One of the considerations for me is that I've read that 'Pickering' is reported to be a dwarf variety.

So . . .  A QUESTION for all you mango enthusiasts on here:  If I were to get rid of one of my three cultivars (above) which one of them should I get rid of, and why?

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Thanks for the cheer! They say ice cream is very anthracnose prone and takes a lot of TLC. They also say it is very yummy so I have one I think it's worth the effort. :)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 02:07:27 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
To start over huh. I'd go Julie (must have for obvious reasons  ;) ), Ice Cream, Sweet Tart and LZ. Mabye add PSM/ TBC and Maha for some asian representation :P .
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Glen: reasonably early season & heavy producer.
Sweet Tart: Fruits are ripe for many months once Glen is Finished.
Keitt: Fruits are ripe for many many many months from end of July to October.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
I would've gotten maha chanok, lemon zest, and pickering. I've heard that maha chanok is an all-around mango, lemon zest tastes good (one of the very few mangoes I have tried, and everyone seems to love pickering...especially the zone pushers.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
To start over huh. I'd go Julie (must have for obvious reasons  ;) ), Ice Cream, Sweet Tart and LZ. Mabye add PSM/ TBC and Maha for some asian representation :P .

I see math is not your strong point.  Lol
- Rob

johnnym33315

• US, Florida, Ocala, 9a
    • View Profile
@bs

"Plant three" graft many...?

How about good combinations to graft on the 3? I like that math!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
@bs

"Plant three" graft many...?

How about good combinations to graft on the 3? I like that math!

Alrighty then. On my Pickering I would graft dwarf hawaiian. On The Little Gem I would graft Graham. Last but not least honey kiss I would graft Neelam because I think M-4 maybe to vigorous?

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
I love this thread, I’ll play...

IF I had to start over and I was limited to three

1) Duncan- unbelievably heavy producer, long crops and disease resistant. First crop is average but last crop is delicious. No fiber. Juicy. CLEAN mango, with tons of production and longevity of season.  ( I only know this from purchasing different crops from Alex in Palm Beach and listening to his knowledge and expert experience. Alex says Duncan Is his workhorse.)

2) Maha Chanok- complex delicious Asian mango that makes my mouth water, although very slow growing, it MIGHT be worth the wait just for flavor alone. It’s also a gorgeous tree with symmetrical canopy and beautiful ripe fruits. (Unfortunately I’ve heard tales of grafted trees sometimes not fruiting for the first 7 years.)

3) Sugarloaf/E4- although I already have one planted if I HAD to start over I’d rip it out and replant it. It’s a nice tree with pleasant appearance, but more importantly it’s by far my favorite tasting Mango. It’s just fantastic, sweet, dripping, pina colada perfection. As a bonus a the fruit is green and downright ugly to prevent fruit thieves.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Sugarloaf/E4  -  the fruit is green and downright ugly to prevent fruit thieves.

Now there's a thought!  What a good idea to thwart thieves!!

Paul M.
==

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Sugarloaf/E4  -  the fruit is green and downright ugly to prevent fruit thieves.

Paul M.
==

Yes that is the spirit Abe. For that selection you receive a gold star!

Now to diversify your three tree Grove would you graft any other varieties?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 06:01:10 AM by bovine421 »

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile

1) Duncan- unbelievably heavy producer, long crops and disease resistant. First crop is average but last crop is delicious. No fiber. Juicy. CLEAN mango, with tons of production and longevity of season.  ( I only know this from purchasing different crops from Alex in Palm Beach and listening to his knowledge and expert experience. Alex says Duncan Is his workhorse.)

2) Maha Chanok- complex delicious Asian mango that makes my mouth water, although very slow growing, it MIGHT be worth the wait just for flavor alone. It’s also a gorgeous tree with symmetrical canopy and beautiful ripe fruits. (Unfortunately I’ve heard tales of grafted trees sometimes not fruiting for the first 7 years.)

3) Sugarloaf/E4- although I already have one planted if I HAD to start over I’d rip it out and replant it. It’s a nice tree with pleasant appearance, but more importantly it’s by far my favorite tasting Mango. It’s just fantastic, sweet, dripping, pina colada perfection. As a bonus a the fruit is green and downright ugly to prevent fruit thieves.
My Duncan is small and hasn't fruited yet but it should be on the short list of candidates.

Maha has the added bonus of the potential for off season crops. You will probably have to wait about 4-5 years for fruit on this variety. I have seen a report that it is BBS susceptible but my fruit have been spotlessly clean so far. Both of my trees produced their first crops in the off season. One year I had fruit in early April from bloom around Thanksgiving and this year I have fruit that is starting to color now.( from a bloom during late August when drought was followed by lots of rain.) Not sure yet if they will be the last mangos of 2020 or the first of 2021. Now that I may have a mango glut during midseason in the coming years, I will try to de-fruit the main season crop to get an off season crop.

Looking forward to Sugarloaf in a year or two. I planted a small one this Spring.

Productivity, ease of care and disease resistance are all very important. Spreading the season out from early to late is too. if you pick the right varieties you might get a 5-6 month long season. Pick your favorite early, mid, and late varieties so you don't get a fruit overload and a one month mango season. Hard to argue those points but the final choice is up to individual taste. Try fruit if you can to see which of the fruit on potential list you like the most. If you only have room for three trees you don't want to wait 5 years to find a variety is too disease prone for your location or only gives 6 fruit on a 15 foot tree when you should get hundreds.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile

Paul M.
==

Yes that is the spirit Abe. For that selection you receive a gold star!

Now to diversify your three tree Grove would you graft any other varieties?

I don’t like grafting other cultivars to trees, because I’m terrible at it for one thing. Also, I don’t like the potential for one cultivar taking over the original cultivar of the graft.

However for the sake of graft-fantasy conversation, I would graft PPK/lemon meringue  to the Duncan, just to see if it turned into a mango factory, with delicious, HEAVY crops.
I’d graft Keitt to the maha, for a ridiculously long season tree. 

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
Glenn without a doubt. I love glenn though so may be a little biased toward it lol

Calreef18

• Escondido CA USA 10A
    • View Profile
Any California people have recommendations? I have Manila and Kent at the moment.

Jose Luis

• España
    • View Profile
Me podrían decir que mango es más sabroso tart sweeet o ataulfo estoy dudando cual plantar

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Glenn without a doubt. I love glenn though so may be a little biased toward it lol
It is duly noted that you would plant Glenn then Glenn and Glenn. Would you also be grafting Glenn? That is a lot of love.Lol I have heard some say Glenn is Peachy Keen in their book  :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 07:38:56 PM by bovine421 »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Me podrían decir que mango es más sabroso tart sweeet o ataulfo estoy dudando cual plantar
I think Sweet Tart is "mas sabroso."
John

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
Coconut cream, fruit punch and probably Carrie. Not a fan of the citrus flavored ones really. We like the classic, coconut and spicy.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Coconut cream, fruit punch and probably Carrie. Not a fan of the citrus flavored ones really. We like the classic, coconut and spicy.
I am a big fan of fruit punch which I make no secret. Some of the connoisseurs say it averaged but to me it's Fruit Dillylicious. Can't wait to make a jug of juice with it :) [/url

Happy Holidays

[url=https://postimg.cc/QFw0PNtq]

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 01:57:39 PM by bovine421 »

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
I am a big fan of fruit punch which I make no secret. Some of the connoisseurs say it averaged but to me it's Fruit Dillylicious. Can't wait to make a jug of juice with it :) [/url

Happy Holidays

[url=https://postimg.cc/QFw0PNtq]

It's very good. Large fruit, plenty of flesh. Delicious.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
My wife's to favorite mangoes are Zill indo-chinese and Coconut Cream without a doubt :)

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile

I love the explanations, I'm sold.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk