Author Topic: Stake this tree?  (Read 908 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Stake this tree?
« on: December 09, 2020, 06:43:10 AM »
Hi all. This mango was planted a little over 1.5 years ago. It is a little bigger now than when I took this photo. It's leaning to the west by at least 15-20 degrees as shown in this photo. Should I try to stake it to make it straighter or just let it be? I noticed right after Eta brought heavy winds that the lean was much more exaggerated than is seen in this photo - it made me realize that I should maybe try to correct this before a stronger storm blows it over. There are some palms to the south east which block some sun, so that is maybe why it is leaning to the west. Thanks for your thoughts.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Stake this tree?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 07:34:02 AM »
It seems like I always have a couple trees that are leaning. I hammer a small metal
fence post a couple feet away and use a small rope. I have some plastic tubing that I put the
rope through that I place against the trunk to avoid scuffing or girdling the trunk.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 08:22:54 AM »
Is the root system compromised as to where its not stable?  If not, and its just growing sturdy at a slight angle, then do as in the mortal words of the Beatles ..Let It Be.
- Rob

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 09:45:59 AM »
Is the root system compromised as to where its not stable?  If not, and its just growing sturdy at a slight angle, then do as in the mortal words of the Beatles ..Let It Be.

I don't know why the root system would be compromised. Thanks for the comments. You are a wealth of knowledge - I greatly appreciate your willingness to share your insights!

Thanks to all for the replies!

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 05:45:41 PM »
I agree with this^^^

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 09:40:24 AM »
I agree with this^^^

Thank you