Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 534552 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #1975 on: April 01, 2021, 10:05:41 PM »
Yes, there could be a disease there.

The picture that had a split in the fruit made me think of Boron deficiciency.  Indeed, the amount of Boron in that fertilizer is extremely low--- should be around 0.10% to 0.20%.
Har

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: April 02, 2021, 06:54:26 AM »
Any idea of what could it be?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: April 02, 2021, 12:07:03 PM »
Jose Spain,
Have you sprayed with a soap, or an oil, or an emulsifiable concentrate?
Har

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: April 02, 2021, 12:29:59 PM »
Jose Spain,
Have you sprayed with a soap, or an oil, or an emulsifiable concentrate?

No, this is the first flush of a graft that didn't show any problem until now so I didn't spray it with anything like that as far as I remember. Could be some bacterial or virus infection?

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: April 02, 2021, 06:31:04 PM »
Hello Mango Experts
My 2.5 year in ground 7 foot Keitt  has been very healthy looking and it’s got over two dozen large grape sized fruitlets on it.

In less than two weeks, many of the lower leaves are drying up and curling and browning. none of the fruitlets are dropping. They look good. It’s been very dry and I didn’t water much but if anyone can help I’d be very appreciative. Also there are some black spots on most of the leaves.
THANK YOU

-Abe

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: April 02, 2021, 07:59:24 PM »
Honest Abe, I don't know what is hitting the Keitt's leaves.  Maybe Powdery Mildew, but doesn't look typical.
Was compost applied under the tree?
Har

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: April 02, 2021, 10:33:41 PM »
Har, nothing has been applied in months. However, you inspired me to have my septic tank drained, you make me wonder if maybe the drain field is overflowing into the root system/taproot. I planted it 15 ft away from edge of it (I thought). 😂
Thank you for your help.

A long shot, but a shot?  That would be a sh$&ty situation...

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #1982 on: April 11, 2021, 09:16:03 AM »

My 15-18ft ndm tree is pushing diseased looking growth from it's big branches.
I'm in the process of topworking it and even those branches don't look optimal.
I haven't sprayed anything in a while and only applied 8-2-12 about a month ago.
It's in the middle of my yard so Weed and feed type products haven't been applied in a few years.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: April 11, 2021, 11:24:38 AM »
Skhan,
Powdery Mildew is attacking tender new growth, which is already nutritionally deficient, probably including in Zinc, Copper, and Calcium.  Since all the mature leaves look healthy, we are seeing a temporary condition which is affecting the current flush.  This is caused by the topsoil being so dry that the root hairs die.
Har

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #1984 on: April 11, 2021, 12:43:13 PM »
Thanks Har,
This certainly has been a long dry season.
Didn't realized would have such an effect on an established tree.
Your explanation make perfect sense to me

rainking430

• USA, Florida, Jupiter Farms
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: April 18, 2021, 09:47:28 AM »
Har, I have a Pickering that is showing signs of manganese deficiencies (yellow-white leaves with dark green veins). Someone gave me an old bottle of KeyPlex 350 DP they had lying around to try on the tree but the directions are for spraying per acre. Any suggestion if this is ok to use, and if so how much per gallon would you suggest and for how often? Thanks!

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: April 18, 2021, 12:09:48 PM »
Rainking430,
I have not worked with Keyplex 350 DP.

If the label doesn't specify how many gallons of spray mix to use on 1 acre, then the default calculation is to figure that the product will be used in 100 gallons of water to be applied on one acre.  So 100th of that amount will be what you will use in 1 gallon.

Whitish-yellowish leaves with green veins: Iron deficiency.  Pale veins with a narrow green strip to either side:  Manganese deficiency.
Har

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: April 18, 2021, 12:32:54 PM »
Someone from Malaysia asked me what systemic fungicide I was using and I responded plant doctor organocide with main active ingredients
Mono- and di-potassium Salts of Phosphorus Acid*

This was his response
 Thank you for that generous information. Appreciate it v much. Mkp..mono potassium phosphate is mild but we use phosphorus acid h3po3 to cure.

I did a Google search and think I found a commercial product from California but I got bewildered in the minutiae of all the details I can't tell if it's for lawn and landscaping or it can be used in Garden applications

Just out of curiosity do recognize or know what he is talking about
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 12:35:05 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

rainking430

• View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: April 19, 2021, 12:54:00 PM »
Someone from Malaysia asked me what systemic fungicide I was using and I responded plant doctor organocide with main active ingredients

This was his response
 Thank you for that generous information. Appreciate it v much. Mkp..mono potassium phosphate is mild but we use phosphorus acid h3po3 to cure.

I did a Google search and think I found a commercial product from California but I got bewildered in the minutiae of all the details I can't tell if it's for lawn and landscaping or it can be used in Garden applications

bovine421, I can't answer your question but out of curiosity do you use Plant Doctor with anything else for powdery mildew? I used Plant Doctor this year for the first time and really like using it, but I'm kind of new at this and didn't account for powdery mildew which ended up taking out my fruit anyway.

rainking430

• View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: April 19, 2021, 01:03:59 PM »
Rainking430,
I have not worked with Keyplex 350 DP.

If the label doesn't specify how many gallons of spray mix to use on 1 acre, then the default calculation is to figure that the product will be used in 100 gallons of water to be applied on one acre.  So 100th of that amount will be what you will use in 1 gallon.

Whitish-yellowish leaves with green veins: Iron deficiency.  Pale veins with a narrow green strip to either side:  Manganese deficiency.

Thanks Har! Especially for the difference in iron vs manganese. This stuff has both though so hopefully it will help either way.

The instructions say 2-3 quarts per acre but not how many gallons. so assuming 100 gallons/acre @ 3 quarts = about 1 oz per gallon, so I will try that. It doesnt' say how often though. What would you suggest? Once a week? more, less?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: April 19, 2021, 01:59:00 PM »

This was his response

bovine421, I can't answer your question but out of curiosity do you use Plant Doctor with anything else for powdery mildew? I used Plant Doctor this year for the first time and really like using it, but I'm kind of new at this and didn't account for powdery mildew which ended up taking out my fruit anyway.

I used this during bloom then plant doctor organocide after fruit set

I really like it and it smells good to. So much so my right brain says hey that would make a great breath freshener. Left brain says don't do it!!  Lol
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 03:14:09 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

rainking430

• View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: April 19, 2021, 04:45:22 PM »
I used this during bloom then plant doctor organocide after fruit set

I really like it and it smells good to. So much so my right brain says hey that would make a great breath freshener. Left brain says don't do it!!  Lol

Good to know, I will have to remember this next year. I am also looking at Garden Safe Fungicide3 which seems to work on both powdery mildew and anthracnose. I confirmed with the company that it can be used on mango.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: April 19, 2021, 10:24:18 PM »
Probably not more than once a month.

In between, you could use seaweed extract.
Har

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: April 26, 2021, 03:33:30 PM »
Premature fruit drop question.
Wondering which nutrients are key to keep young fruit from falling.
I had at least a dozen golf ball size Kents drop.  Couple dozen nice ones still on tree (record for me).
I know trees need many nutrients, i fertilize, what would top 2 most important nutrients be?
I have 50# bag of calcium too.

Thanks a bunch,
Ed

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: April 26, 2021, 04:41:46 PM »
Ed, I have had a fair amount of fruit drop as well but mine is due to lack of adequate moisture.
It has been very dry with occasional rain in spurts.  I should apply some water, even the large established trees.  Its just been too dry.

Does your tree get enough water to exclude that as a possible cause?

sumognat

• US, FL, SW Ranches, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: April 26, 2021, 05:10:52 PM »
Premature fruit drop question.
Wondering which nutrients are key to keep young fruit from falling.
I had at least a dozen golf ball size Kents drop.  Couple dozen nice ones still on tree (record for me).
I know trees need many nutrients, i fertilize, what would top 2 most important nutrients be?
I have 50# bag of calcium too.

Thanks a bunch,
Ed

My Kent is dropping lots of little fruit, too.  I am guessing it's because of the lack of rain, but it also does seem to regularly drop small fruits each year.  There's also a ton of fruit on it, too, so I imagine it can't hold onto everything?

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: April 26, 2021, 07:29:25 PM »
Orkine, i do water it now & then.  It's putting out new leaves & fruit that drops has sap.
I somehow hear Har saying calcium.  Could be from watching countless hrs of great TT youtube videos heh.

Sumo, maybe?  Could it be we need to fill it's belly with more fert before rainy season ends?  I'll give it more this summer.  This was my 1st time giving it calcium & i'll guess 5lbs.  I have Potassium too.  50lbs each.

Tomorrow morn i'll give it a nutrient shower of micros.
Ed

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: April 26, 2021, 08:47:00 PM »
Good mineral nutrition in general helps to hold on to fruit set, especially Boron and Calcium.  And sufficient topsoil moisture.

Besides being dry, we have had an inordinate amount of wind;  many locations had gusts at tropical storm strength; this knocks down many fruits.
Har

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: April 27, 2021, 07:41:50 PM »
Har, thank you for knowledge.  You're the reason i have calcium sulfate after watching a fertilizer video, stating how well it prevents leaf tip burn when fertilizing, i tried it, it worked.

This morning i gave entire tree a shower with 2oz UltraRx 1.5 tablespoon/gallon.  Used a little on grapefruit too.

Then i got out calcium & spread maybe 4lbs, and a few lbs of fert, and finally hosed it all in till saturation in hopes of dispersing it all evenly to soak in.
I'll water it again when soil looks dry.  I know the fertilizer's on me if i did it when i shouldn't.
Trunk's 12" or more, tree maybe 12' tall.  I cut feet off every yr.

Ed

Edit- removed photos of fert & spray because it didn't help drop problem, did make leaves healthier looking.
Fruit that dropped after sitting in sun on patio for days were rotten badly inside.  My guess they dropped from mbbs or anthracnose or some type of bacteria.  I'll be looking into systemic treatment.  Large healthy fruit looking good on tree atm.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:48:53 AM by EddieF »

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: April 27, 2021, 08:17:13 PM »
Looks good.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk