Author Topic: Do small seeds produce plants that have small seeds?  (Read 1235 times)

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
Do small seeds produce plants that have small seeds?
« on: May 06, 2016, 04:22:34 AM »
I'm not sure whether plants can do epigenetics but it seems possible that there is a correlation. I'm talking the odd small jaboticaba seed when the rest of the seeds from the same plant were normal size.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:38:14 AM by Mango Stein »
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
Re: Do small seeds produce plants that have small seeds?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 06:30:16 AM »
I am also curious. I ate avocado fruit with 2cm diameter seed, I planted that seed last year and now I have healthy 1 m high plant, so will see if fruits of this plant have miniature seeds too.

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
Re: Do small seeds produce plants that have small seeds?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 06:35:55 AM »
I'm not sure. I also have more experience with this question in avocado's. In avocado's and most other plants I know of, there is no correlation. The size of the seed can be dependent on the growing conditions for that year for that particular branch or flower (- the more leaves there are per fruit on any branch, the more water the plant gets, etc, will  result in more reserves stored in the seed).
I always wondered wether the size of the seed could actually depend on the pollen the seed is pollinated with (depending on the compatibility of the pollen with the embryo). Otherwise the genetic information for vigour, size and other plant characteristics of the embryo, including the size of the seeds it will produce, normally develop completely independently of the seed size the embryo came with from her mother plant. Seed size can be seen as a savings account that the mother makes, depending on local conditions, and gives to her offspring when she sets them off into the big wide world.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:41:09 AM by Solko »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk