Author Topic: BUYING: Seedless Lychee / Litchi (California)  (Read 10762 times)

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
Re: BUYING: Seedless Lychee / Litchi (California)
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2020, 04:01:15 PM »
You will need to graft the scions you are able to get from the mail.  Then air layer them later once the tree has grown large enough.  Lychee is not that difficult to graft, if you do it in spring during the first new vegetative flush it should not be a problem.

If you graft it why do you need to air layer it?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2020, 04:07:29 PM »
You don't "need" to airlayer it.  You can if you want to propogate it later thats the standard method.

Im trying to tell you the odds of you getting any of your wanted lychees as a rooted tree here seem pretty slim.  You might get lucky and get some sent as scions in the mail. 

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:09:06 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2020, 04:19:42 PM »
You don't "need" to airlayer it.  You can if you want to propogate it later thats the standard method.

Im trying to tell you the odds of you getting any of your wanted lychees as a rooted tree here seem pretty slim.  You might get lucky and get some sent as scions in the mail.

Oh yeah that makes sense. Do you know how to order the scions from Hilo station?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2020, 04:31:28 PM »
They can be grafted but it is harder to do with lychees than marcotting and might have a low rate of success. There were exchanges between Hawaii and Kamerunga research station in 80's and early90's and this may be the source of FZS. Like tai so there are a few selections and hopefully the Hawaiian one is the biggest fruiting line. Erdon Lee is probably better just because they are bigger. 50g FZS with shrivelled seeds also do have impressive flesh yield. Both have a good taste.
I have 2 very small spindly marcots of erdon lee and seedless just removed from parent so don't want to be hacking them just yet. I don't have access to larger trees.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2020, 04:42:36 PM »
We could pay for another tree.
You grow it.
Send us scions later?

How much is for 1?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2020, 04:54:40 PM »
We can talk about it when mine get bigger. I can't get any more there is a long and exclusive waiting list.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2020, 04:55:36 PM »
Ike, I will ask you for scions again in 3 or 4 years. 
Brad Spaugh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2020, 04:58:31 PM »
Won't take that long just have to make sure they survive atm. I might even be too warm for them to fruit properly at my place.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »
Mike, the best time to graft these here would be in late spring in May.  That would be the best time for people to try and get scions sent to CA.  I wouldnt bother trying to order from Hawii now, wait until spring and do it right so you dont have to do it twice.  Look at their website, theres probably a contact, I know they had a list of cultivars available on a website or it may have been a thread on here.

When you graft the lychee, you need to cut back the tree around the scion and give the energy to the grafted part or it will not take off.  Also the wood is pretty stiff also so you want to keep your graft pulled really tight and leave it for many months to heal all the way or they split.  Use an extra strong tape over the graft tape to keep it tight.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:21:29 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2020, 05:21:38 PM »
Chinese do mini marcots also and don't know how difficult they are. Maybe in a few months my trees will have put on some size.

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2020, 05:28:51 PM »
Chinese do mini marcots also and don't know how difficult they are. Maybe in a few months my trees will have put on some size.

Is planting erdon Lee seeds a good idea?

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2020, 05:30:12 PM »
Mike, the best time to graft these here would be in late spring in May.  That would be the best time for people to try and get scions sent to CA.  I wouldnt bother trying to order from Hawii now, wait until spring and do it right so you dont have to do it twice.  Look at their website, theres probably a contact, I know they had a list of cultivars available on a website or it may have been a thread on here.

When you graft the lychee, you need to cut back the tree around the scion and give the energy to the grafted part or it will not take off.  Also the wood is pretty stiff also so you want to keep your graft pulled really tight and leave it for many months to heal all the way or they split.  Use an extra strong tape over the graft tape to keep it tight.

What’s their website?

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2020, 05:32:25 PM »
Ike, I will ask you for scions again in 3 or 4 years.

What if we order the seedless A4 from Jason

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2020, 07:55:02 PM »
You should try and there is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2020, 09:35:24 PM »
Spring is coming.
Start some mini marcots.
A few cm height is good enough.

Or request a few mini marcots from your source.

We are desperate!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2020, 10:01:46 PM »
You guys have been ok for a long time without these so it can't suddenly be urgent. I suggest get FZS first for a few years, then transition to seedless and after that try Erdon Lee a few years later. You wouldn't want to cause too many shocks. As I said before out of sequence lychees may cause a great disturbance in the continuum and we wouldn't want spatial/temporal disruptions.

Ok got that joke off my chest now and jokes aside. I will see what I can do but won't make promises.

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2020, 12:17:57 AM »
You guys have been ok for a long time without these so it can't suddenly be urgent. I suggest get FZS first for a few years, then transition to seedless and after that try Erdon Lee a few years later. You wouldn't want to cause too many shocks. As I said before out of sequence lychees may cause a great disturbance in the continuum and we wouldn't want spatial/temporal disruptions.

Ok got that joke off my chest now and jokes aside. I will see what I can do but won't make promises.

I only started my fruit trees this year 😎 but lychee is my favorite fruit😩

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2020, 05:13:29 PM »
Yeah, Lychees are awesome! Hopefully some of the better varieties will show up soon. Thanks for all the info and pictures Mike!

Simon

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2020, 07:47:03 PM »
Man, I thought I was set with lychees after getting hold of fruiting Kaimana and Hak ip recently besides the Mauritius and Sweetheart I had for couple of years. Giant and seedless lychees  :o  It appears I am not set with lychees yet.

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2020, 07:49:53 PM »
Man, I thought I was set with lychees after getting hold of fruiting Kaimana and Hak ip recently besides the Mauritius and Sweetheart I had for couple of years. Giant and seedless lychees  :o  It appears I am not set with lychees yet.

We need to create the demand for the ‘good’ lychees😩. Lol no one knows about them. I only found out cause I’m obsessed with lychee

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2020, 09:31:50 PM »

We need to create the demand for the ‘good’ lychees😩. Lol no one knows about them. I only found out cause I’m obsessed with lychee

Definitely, I am surprised Phuket and Bangkok markets didn’t have these lychees last summer, I had giant lychees (probably 2x the size of hak up) at Bangkok China town but they were sour with seeds.

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2020, 09:34:51 PM »

Definitely, I am surprised Phuket and Bangkok markets didn’t have these lychees last summer, I had giant lychees (probably 2x the size of hak up) at Bangkok China town but they were sour with seeds.

that's disappointing, were they unripe?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2020, 10:03:44 PM »

They were bright red, I bought 2 kg for their size and color, but couldn’t eat more than 2.

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2020, 10:35:51 PM »

They were bright red, I bought 2 kg for their size and color, but couldn’t eat more than 2.

My goal is to have so many lychees I won’t want to eat them again until the next season lol

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2020, 11:44:02 PM »
The few thai types that are not re-badged Chinese types are poor including their big sour, big seeded one which has a name I cant remember. They are as big as yook ho pow but lower quality. You won't find Erdon Lee in Thailand or China.