Author Topic: Brogdon or lula?  (Read 7016 times)

alexO

• View Profile
Brogdon or lula?
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:46:11 PM »
High everyone,

Brand new to the forum, and I love this place. I am fairly new to growing tropical fruit and only have one Mango tree (Carrie), one Avocado (Oro Negro) and one Guava (Cattley). I am looking to add to my humble collection another Avocado and was wondering if you experts had any opionions on the flavor of the Lulas or Brogdons. I have never tried either but have never really had a bad avocado. I live in Florida on the Treasure Coast so I should be in a region suited for either.

Thanks,

Alex
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:05:30 PM by alexO »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Brogdon or lula?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 02:40:29 PM »
High everyone,

Brand new to the forum, and I love this place. I am fairly new to growing tropical fruit and only have one Mango tree (Carrie), one Avocado (Oro Negro) and one Guava (Cattley). I am looking to add to my humble collection another Avocado and was wondering if you experts had any opionions on the flavor of the Lulas or Brogdons. I have never tried either but have never really had a bad avocado. I live in Florida on the Treasure Coast so I should be in a region suited for either.

Thanks,

Alex
I like and would recommend Lula  Iit is one of, well, let me correct that, it is my favorite.  It is a very consisent producer (and liked by many).   It is a late season avocado (December - February, give or take).  It is a full flavored, very rich, creamy avocado with a high oil content.  Some say it has a hint of sweetness to it.  I would call the tree a medium grower (not overly vigorous).  The great thing about it is that it is one of the more cold hearty of the varieties, very similar to Brofdon (Brogdon MIGHT be able to withstand a degree or two colder but I would question thta as a lot would depend on placement/protection and your specific microclimate).
- Rob

carraig

• View Profile
    • Amber's Edibles
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 02:58:07 PM »
I vote for Brogdon.  It is among my favorite.  Lula makes an awesome rootstock for coastal areas, but I personally do not think it rates with the like of Brogdon or Monroe.  In fact, if you haven't considered Monroe, Monroe on Lula rootstock would be another option.  Better flesh to seed ratio than Brogdon and better tasting IMO.

-Carraig

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 03:01:57 PM »
They are both excellent avocados. If pressed to pick one of the two types I would select Brogdan. In fact I'm currently debating top working my Russell avocado tree with Brogdan.   

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 03:09:02 PM »
Alex - as you can see, and will further realize if you haven't already, is that tastes are very subjective and there is no right or wromng (though I may call both Tony and Craig crazy for thinking Brofdon is better than Lula  ;) ;D ).  Since the season for both Lula, Brogdon, and even Monroe, are right around the corner, I would wait till you can taste all three and pick the one that YOU like best.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 03:10:08 PM »
Your question is a bit of "apples to oranges" in comparison.  Brogdan is early and black/purple skinned.  Lula is late and green skinned.  I think Lula probably has the edge in oil content, but also has the larger seed.  Both are small avocados on the avocado size scale, but Lula has a lower flesh to seed ratio and tends to be smaller overall than Brogdan.  There was some rumors about Borgdan possibily being a pollinator for both Type A and Type B varieties, or so I was told years ago by Bill Hopkins.  Now I see they list it as Type B...for whatever that is worth.  Might be an issue for you overall production since you have Oro Negro on the property. Since Lula is Type A and Oro Negro is Type B, I'd go with Lula as my final reccomendation for you.  The flavor of Lula is excellent.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 05:38:07 PM »
Hello Alex, welcome to the forum.

How do you like the Oro Negro compared to other varieties you have tried?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »
Hi Alex welcome. This is a great place.

Tell us about your Oro Negro have you picked any fruit? 

The only issue is that Oro Negro and Monroe are both late varieties and so is the Lula. I would recommend and early variety Dupuis, Simmonds or my favorite Pollock  or mid summer one like Catalina. That will give you a better spread.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 08:56:50 PM »
I really like both Lula and Brogden. Between the two I would probably go with Lula as I think its the better producer. Its also my favorite flavored avocado. The flesh to seed ratio is poor but Brogden isn't much better in that department, if at all.

alexO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to try the Brogdon so that I can inrease my avocado season, although I plan to get both, I just needed to choose which one first.

As for the Oro Negro, it is only about six months old and about four feet tall so I have no idea on flavor. It was sort of an impulse purhase but I have read good stuff about them.

Alex

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 04:44:55 AM »
I have eaten many Lula and have a small grafted planted one coming along. I have a few 18" high Lula seedlings coming along, people should PM me if interested. Lula is an excellent autumn-winter avocado with enough oil to make good guacamole.

Never ate Brogdan so cannot comment on it

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to try the Brogdon so that I can inrease my avocado season, although I plan to get both, I just needed to choose which one first.

As for the Oro Negro, it is only about six months old and about four feet tall so I have no idea on flavor. It was sort of an impulse purhase but I have read good stuff about them.

Alex

Recently I have been seeing really nice looking Brogdons and Lula's at Lowes for $30. They were all 3ft-4ft tall. They are pine island nursery plants.