Author Topic: Protecting fruit trees  (Read 2398 times)

alexO

• View Profile
Protecting fruit trees
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:37:59 AM »
After reading thruogh the miniature greenhouse thread I got curious as to how everyone protects their trees in the winter. I know that not everyone has this worry but living on the treasure coast I will have to have a plan for my trees. So please let me know your way of doing it, if you have pictures please show them.

Thanks,

Alex

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Protecting fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »
After reading thruogh the miniature greenhouse thread I got curious as to how everyone protects their trees in the winter. I know that not everyone has this worry but living on the treasure coast I will have to have a plan for my trees. So please let me know your way of doing it, if you have pictures please show them.

Thanks,

Alex

Gardenweb has a good search function plus google should turn up some good threads we had on this at gardenweb and with lots of photos.
Here is one-->>> http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg1019135831574.html?12

Some of these photos will lead to the garden web threads you want
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&biw=1440&bih=716&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=mango+winter+protect+site%3Agardenweb.com&oq=mango+winter+protect+site%3Agardenweb.com&gs_l=img.3...32144.35389.0.36170.8.8.0.0.0.0.82.398.8.8.0...0.0...1c.OwhUZWo7YTo

alexO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »
On the USDA hardiness sone map it shows that I am in 10a zone (Ft. Pierce FL), should I be to concerned for mangos and avocados?

Alex

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »
On the USDA hardiness sone map it shows that I am in 10a zone (Ft. Pierce FL), should I be to concerned for mangos and avocados?

Alex

Yes, while they are small anyway.

alexO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »
Thanks SWRancher would you have any ideass on how to protet them?

On a side note have you had any fruit from your Oro Negro? I have a little tree that I am waiting patiently to get fruit from but would love to hear how it really is from someone who has one. so far you and CTMIAMI are the only ones I hear about that have them.

I also have seen your yard updates and am extremely envios of your fruit trees!

Alex

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:05:14 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:02:33 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk