Author Topic: Best tasting Theobroma?  (Read 5666 times)

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Best tasting Theobroma?
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:43:29 PM »
Would love to know best tasting Theobromas? Cupui, Cupuassu, Mocambo.....I'm very intrigued by some of the descriptions on guaycuyacu.net/seed_sell.html.  Theobroma glauca="very tasty fruit"??? Also san lorenzo theobroma. He says like cupuassu but better. Anyone with experience?

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting Theobroma?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 02:12:48 PM »
I have only tasted T. cacao and T. bicolor. The flesh of macambo tastes similar to a sweet pumpkin, while cacao is pretty tasty. But roasted mocambo seeds with salt are very tasty :)

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
I have only tasted T. cacao and T. bicolor. The flesh of macambo tastes similar to a sweet pumpkin, while cacao is pretty tasty. But roasted mocambo seeds with salt are very tasty :)

Maybe it was just my specific cacao pod, but cacao as fruit is just total waste of time. Just a few millimeters of sour fruit around the seeds.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:36:33 PM »

Maybe it was just my specific cacao pod, but cacao as fruit is just total waste of time. Just a few millimeters of sour fruit around the seeds.

Some cacao pulp can taste quite good, like a sweet/sour candy. But most have very little pulp. Remember that they mostly have been bred for making cacao, for seed quality, and not for pulp quality or quantity. The bicolor has a strong chempedak like taste, and has more pulp than the cacao. The cuapuasu also has lots of pulp but has to be processed, not so good out of hand. The San Lorenzo will let you know in a few years, just got some seeds and are now small plants. I haven't tasted glabra and some the other rarer theobroma species yet.
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »
Cupuassu is almost inedible straight from the fruit. It has a very metallic taste with zero sweetness. It's great in a smoothie with loads of sugar and honey. We tasted some rare Herrania species in PR that were tasty but very little actual pulp.   
FloridaGreenMan

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:12:51 PM »
I never tasted the cupuassu pulp , I just took out the seeds , but I had the Cupuassu Ice cream and juice in Brazil and it was to die for .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 11:19:45 PM »
Cupu-assu (="the great Cupu") jam is a candidate for best in the world.  Great sweetened juice, good unsweetened juice with milk, ice-cream, candies.  Raw pulp attacks one's enamel.  I once thoroughly enjoyed eating 1/2 a fruit--- I like sour --- and then my teeth hurt for about a week.

Cupu-i (= "the wee cupu'), if my memory from childhood serves me well, is fist-sized, thin-shelled, mildly sweet and soft textured, with the seeds chewable with the pulp.
(But I may be remembering Cacau-rana, "pseudo-cacau".)

Cacau pulp is pleasant enough if that is what one has in hand.

The best Theobroma I ever ate was a superior variety of T. bicolor, 'Patashte" or "Mocambo," which I ate in Guatemala--- as rich as Jak or Durian or Marolo or Matasano or Northern-Pawpaw.  Others I had there ranged from horrible to middling.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:43:31 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 01:22:56 AM »
I have a Mocambo , very attractive tree, never tried the fruit, I had one fruit given to me, had no idea how to eat it, left it around a few days, when I decided to crack it open, i was turned off by the smell, which smelled like diesel fuel, so I figured it was over ripe. how do you eat thee, just scrape the pulp  off the seeds?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 02:43:33 AM »
I have a Mocambo , very attractive tree, never tried the fruit, I had one fruit given to me, had no idea how to eat it, left it around a few days, when I decided to crack it open, i was turned off by the smell, which smelled like diesel fuel, so I figured it was over ripe. how do you eat thee, just scrape the pulp  off the seeds?

You eat mocambo just like you would eat cacao, by putting the seed and pulp in your mouth and sucking on it for a while.
The hard part is cracking the mocambo pods. They are a lot harder than cacao pods.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 02:48:11 AM »
Cupu-assu (="the great Cupu") jam is a candidate for best in the world.  Great sweetened juice, good unsweetened juice with milk, ice-cream, candies.  Raw pulp attacks one's enamel.  I once thoroughly enjoyed eating 1/2 a fruit--- I like sour --- and then my teeth hurt for about a week.

Cupu-i (= "the wee cupu'), if my memory from childhood serves me well, is fist-sized, thin-shelled, mildly sweet and soft textured, with the seeds chewable with the pulp.
(But I may be remembering Cacau-rana, "pseudo-cacau".)

Cacau pulp is pleasant enough if that is what was has in hand.

The best Theobroma I ever ate was a superior variety of T. bicolor, 'Patashte" or "Mocambo," which I ate in Guatemala--- as rich as Jak or Durian or Marolo or Matasano or Northern-Pawpaw.  Others I had there ranged from horrible to middling.

By cupui, do you mean Theobroma subincanum? I think that tastes more like cacao than cupuasu.
Oscar

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »
Probably.  Or it may have been Cacau-i, T. speciosum.
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 08:46:51 PM »
Probably.  Or it may have been Cacau-i, T. speciosum.

I saw T. speciosum growing in the botanical garden in Belem. It looked like a small cacao pod. Here is a photo comparing cupuasu, mocambo, cacaui, and cacao:
Oscar

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 10:34:14 PM »
Really nice!
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk