Author Topic: Does my wood for planter raised bed have cancer?  (Read 3244 times)

smartdriver

• East Los Angeles/ Alhambra, CA 10A
    • View Profile
Does my wood for planter raised bed have cancer?
« on: July 29, 2018, 10:25:47 PM »
Hey everyone!
I was just about to put my raised bed garden together and pulled out the upc label to find something shocking! “WARNING: This product may generate wood dust, a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer.”

I’ve purchased my wood from a local Lowe’s.  When purchased the wood label read “GREEN DOUG FIR” 🌲 please refer to my photo and let me know if I’ve bought chemical woood?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:28:05 PM by smartdriver »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Does my wood for planter raised bed have cancer?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 10:34:12 PM »
Looks like regular pine.  Would be interesting to know what the warning is for exactly. 
Brad Spaugh

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 10:44:34 PM »
I’m no doctor... but my guess would be that breathing in particulate mater into your lungs might be the issue... not that chemicles would leach out into your planter. It’s probably to get you to wear a dust mask.
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 11:14:24 PM »
:D Classic. California went a bit overboard with that prop 65 stuff.
Jeff  :-)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 11:27:01 PM »
Yeah they did.  Im not a big fan of the nanny state but for most things I actually appreciate the labels.  Like for plumbing equipment etc.  Its nice to know what has lead in it.
Brad Spaugh

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 12:51:08 PM »
That's normal Douglas Fir. It's not rated for soil/water contact so the Doug Fir in your box will rot in about 2 years.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 01:32:36 PM »
It does rot eventually but it takes a lot longer than 2 years.  Ive got all my boxes made from this same stuff, going on 4 years now, they look like they will last another 4 years.
Brad Spaugh

smartdriver

• East Los Angeles/ Alhambra, CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 06:53:13 PM »
I’m no doctor... but my guess would be that breathing in particulate mater into your lungs might be the issue... not that chemicles would leach out into your planter. It’s probably to get you to wear a dust mask.

I was thinking the same thing, but man when I read Cancer, that gave me a big wtf in my head. 🙏 thank you

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 06:56:12 PM »
It can cause cancer in the nose and sinuses as well. Think it usually involves those who work in sawmill like conditions.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 07:04:47 PM »
It's a little overboard though. Do they label your organic vegetables as carcinogenic too (organic produce does generally have a higher level of carcinogens than conventional -- the explanation is that they produce their own pesticides).

But, that's California for you. Nice climate, but high cost of living and a lot of hard left politics.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 07:17:41 PM »

Such as working in a sawmill under old time conditions. The sawmill workers must wear serious dust masks these days.
A really bad job these days as far as breathing in particulates and aerosolized "bad stuff" is working in a supermarket meat department where a band saw is used all the time. You will be breathing in aerosolized (the proper word. I looked it up) blood for sure and perhaps some bone and guts for an aperitif.

And as I have posted before. If you get tree trimmers chips and mulch and wood chips dropped on your property then buy and wear a good mask from Amazon to keep mold out of your lungs. Look up "farmer's lung" from when they moved around old spoiled hay. Hay permeated with black mold.

farmer's lung>>>  https://www.bing.com/search?pc=COSP&ptag=D112817-A9FCDBB39EF&form=CONBDF&conlogo=CT3335799&q=%22farmer%27s+lung%22

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 09:52:32 PM »
California went overboard with something??  Please say it ain't so!  I'm shocked!  ;)
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 10:14:25 PM »
And as I have posted before. If you get tree trimmers chips and mulch and wood chips dropped on your property then buy and wear a good mask from Amazon to keep mold out of your lungs.
I agree after one day working with fresh moldy tree mulch showing friable white powdery mold I began to feel the effects, cough and tightness in chest. After the mulch had aged a few months and been wetted it required no more use of the mask.
In USA you need a mask government rated P-100 for dust/mold particulates. Since this sort of work is strenuous and you will be breathing heavy suggest a full nose/mouth mask not just the paper type masks. Use only P-100 class particle filters not vapor filters.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-Mold-and-Lead-Paint-Removal-Respirator-Mask-6297PA1-A/202078789

The 3M™ Particulate Filter 2091 P-100 filters are 99.97% effective for the particles we are speaking of.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 10:52:06 PM »
And as I have posted before. If you get tree trimmers chips and mulch and wood chips dropped on your property then buy and wear a good mask from Amazon to keep mold out of your lungs.
I agree after one day working with fresh moldy tree mulch showing friable white powdery mold I began to feel the effects, cough and tightness in chest. After the mulch had aged a few months and been wetted it required no more use of the mask.
In USA you need a mask government rated P-100 for dust/mold particulates. Since this sort of work is strenuous and you will be breathing heavy suggest a full nose/mouth mask not just the paper type masks. Use only P-100 class particle filters not vapor filters.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-Mold-and-Lead-Paint-Removal-Respirator-Mask-6297PA1-A/202078789

The 3M™ Particulate Filter 2091 P-100 filters are 99.97% effective for the particles we are speaking of.

Lets get a little bit real here. We are supplying people with God given delicious ripe fruits.  I have all kinds of people who come by who want something real. And comforting. The comforting factor is very real. Being that we are food providers lets not be dumb and accepting in a dumb cow like  way. When you deal with mulch you are dealing w dangerous molds so protect your self and your lungs. Don't breath in that dreck. Nuff said! Buy good anti mold masks!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:55:44 PM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 10:58:45 PM »

My short answer is you get it!  And ignore at your your own peril.  Thanks for specing it out. The anti mold masks.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 01:01:42 PM »
Your in an arid area lacking rain. Im in a humid area with Redwood forest, so 2 years here and Doug fir 2 X's are swiss cheese or mulch.
You can buy scrap redwood that will last much longer for the 4 X's but it's usually too exspensive to do the sides in redwood.
It think raising garden bed's above the earth is usually a losing battle against nature.
Better to double dig, and amend French Intensive style, 7 x's the produce in the same area.

It does rot eventually but it takes a lot longer than 2 years.  Ive got all my boxes made from this same stuff, going on 4 years now, they look like they will last another 4 years.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »
Why not use pressure treated / ground contact to prevent rotting? I can only imagine the California labels on those.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 01:40:44 PM »
Your in an arid area lacking rain. Im in a humid area with Redwood forest, so 2 years here and Doug fir 2 X's are swiss cheese or mulch.
You can buy scrap redwood that will last much longer for the 4 X's but it's usually too exspensive to do the sides in redwood.
It think raising garden bed's above the earth is usually a losing battle against nature.
Better to double dig, and amend French Intensive style, 7 x's the produce in the same area.

The boards in my beds are in cntact with wet dirt 24/7

Raised beds arent a losing battle.  They work great.  When your ground is too hard to dig its easier to build a bed.

I pay 30$ for 3 8ftx1ft pieces.  Cut one half then screw the ends together.    Thats its, 12 deck screws and 3 pieces of pine and get many years out of them.  Its a no brainer. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 01:49:14 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 02:58:45 PM »
I understand the pro's and con's of raised beds. It's better in my opinion to take that ground that is so hard a pick axe would bounce off of it , and in the winter double dig french intensive style a bed where you are improving your rock hard soil with 50% compost and increasing your yield 7 fold, in the same amount of space.
That's no cost for wood and screws and your improving your garden bed's soil year by year.
The doug fir rot's here next to the ocean and redwoods as fast as it does, it's a different environment , either way I'm not seeing a need for raised boxes unless you can't bend over and need to garden higher up.

The boards in my beds are in cntact with wet dirt 24/7

Raised beds arent a losing battle.  They work great.  When your ground is too hard to dig its easier to build a bed.

I pay 30$ for 3 8ftx1ft pieces.  Cut one half then screw the ends together.    Thats its, 12 deck screws and 3 pieces of pine and get many years out of them.  Its a no brainer.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 03:21:15 PM »
I got a jackhammer and some really nice granite slabs that need loosening up.  Stop by anytime and show how its done.
Brad Spaugh

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 03:27:52 PM »
It really depends on soil type and your local climate... my yard is 6” of dirt before I hit chalk. So for me it was a little of both, digging deep holes for trees and raising up with low stone walls for what is in essence a raised bed. There is really no “right” answer for everyone. This place has taken 40 years to get to a point that is just ok, but certainly not fantastic.
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2018, 12:18:13 PM »
I would love that! I'll show you how we do it in DG or just G ;)
I was recently inspired by some folks jackhammering lava rock to make a flat spot to build, as well as scooping what little soil existed from under dead tree stumps. I'll bring the Bosch mini jack with large chisel and spade attachment , What do you want to plant? Melons?

I got a jackhammer and some really nice granite slabs that need loosening up.  Stop by anytime and show how its done.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2018, 06:36:26 PM »
Yeah, I just took a look at that list for the first time (not living in California, it never really interested me). Over 1,000 items on it, ranging from aspirin, betel nut and goldenseal, to marijuana smoke and Chinese-style salted fish!

Luckily, pizza was NOT on the list, so I'm off to Take-and-Bake place!

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk