Author Topic: Giant African Snail on Papayas Factsheet  (Read 3258 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Giant African Snail on Papayas Factsheet
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:20 PM »
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/MP-6.pdf

Here is a guy who ate some of those giant snails. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2009/jul/03/african-land-snails-video
I suppose they are eaten in Hawaii by some adventurous souls. They are disgusting looking seeing an army of them attacking papayas. They need a load of buckshot, many loads of buckshot then let them decay and fertilize the soil.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:32:38 AM »
Hi Oscar and Zand,

Thanks for sharing ;) I don't like garden snails...only sea snails ;)

Those huge African snails look very delicious...with peppers 8) :P ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 06:32:52 AM »
I grew up with those giant pests hibernating on the walls of the cool side of the house. Heard they were edible but it seems to be taboo here. I have a mental barrier to eating them but I'm sure they're quite delicious. Someday, who knows....  :o ;D
✌🏽

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 07:01:10 AM »
I grew up with those giant pests hibernating on the walls of the cool side of the house. Heard they were edible but it seems to be taboo here. I have a mental barrier to eating them but I'm sure they're quite delicious. Someday, who knows....  :o ;D

Turns out there are 4 species of giant African snails, 3 are native to Ghana and considered a delicacy, the fourth and the one we have here and in Florida, Achatina fulica, is from Ivory Coast, and while edible is not considered a delicacy and eating it is avoided.

"Three species of Achatinidae are eaten in Ghana (Monney, 1994).  Achatina achatina is
specially a delicacy to the snail consuming Ghanaian populace, followed by
Archachatina marginata, and then Archachatina degneri in descending order of delicacy.
Achatina fulica, though nutritious and edible (Monney, 1994), is bluntly avoided by most
snail eating Ghanaians, and with its very high turnover rate, it is appears to be a nuisance
to some people"

From http://www.petsnails.co.uk/docs/asamoharep.pdf
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk