Author Topic: Finger limes in pots  (Read 10470 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Finger limes in pots
« on: April 14, 2014, 03:52:40 AM »

Fingerlimes are impatient and eager to fruit.The cutting grown Wauchope on the left was struck just a few months ago.I had trouble finding seeds as the varieties I was looking in the fruit of produce few seeds.I keep the inside 'caviar' in cups in the freezer and just spoon it out as needed.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Finger limes in pots
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 04:04:06 AM »

Fingerlimes are impatient and eager to fruit.The cutting grown Wauchope on the left was struck just a few months ago.I had trouble finding seeds as the varieties I was looking in the fruit of produce few seeds.I keep the inside 'caviar' in cups in the freezer and just spoon it out as needed.

Is there some reason you don't just buy them from Daleys? Will they not post to you? If this is the case, let me know and I'll buy on your behalf and post them to you. Red Champagne is a good cultivar.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:06:48 AM by starling1 »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:17:34 AM »
Starling someone mailed me a couple of struck cuttings that I didn't ask for. The red champagne was an el cheapo from Masters for 6 bux. They were not something I have been laying awake at night thinking about.
 I sent a few seeds off to Brazil and China. Some were from you and some were from the supermarket.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:23:03 AM »
Starling someone mailed me a couple of struck cuttings that I didn't ask for. The red champagne was an el cheapo from Masters for 6 bux. They were not something I have been laying awake at night thinking about.
 I sent a few seeds off to Brazil and China. Some were from you and some were from the supermarket.

Red champagne is a score at six bob, my local masters sells it for 25$.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:33:14 AM »
Not 6 bob, $6-.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:46:25 AM »
Not 6 bob, $6-.

Bob isn't colloquial for a single dollar unit? Man, I've been saying that for ages....   ;D

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 04:52:42 AM »
bob is 10c  ;). Hence the 2 bob watch saying.

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 07:58:09 AM »
I have over 100 potted seedlings that come from a property with apparently over 40 different citrus varieties, dose any one think I'm crazy growing them out to fruiting stage to see what I got. Perhaps I'm pushing crap up hill but I think I have a chance of getting something special from at least one. If I do it'll be worth the effort I think
Russell

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 09:57:24 AM »
Almost all citrus seed are nucelar, therefore they come true to type.  Depending on what cultivars you planted your waiting time for fruit is between 2 - 8 years.  Much depends on the quality of care the seedling receive. Good luck to both you and the little seedling trees. - Millet

Citronquat

• UK, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 12:50:33 PM »
Your fingerlime trees look great! I have fingerlime seedlings growing. I noticed a strange growing habit they all have - they don't grow straight upwards, they curve over and downwards/sideways then start making side branches. Anyone else notice this with their fingerlime seedlings or am I doing something wrong with mine?

I also have 2 seedlings of Australian Round Lime but both seedlings are trifoliate. I asked the supplier if he sent me trifoliate seeds by mistake but he says he doesn't have any trifoliate citrus on his property. I also bought fingerlime seeds from him which were genuine, so either I have a cool new hybrid or he isn't too knowledgeable and has mistaken a trifoliate citrus for the Australian Round Lime.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 02:54:24 PM »
Anyone in FL growing these finger limes?  If so, what types?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gaston

• azuero Panama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 05:49:59 PM »
anyones ready or willing to send seeds?

I'm flying back to Panama from france on the 23 april.
Would be great to fly with seeds to plant them over there.
Let me know about availablity and price

;) 8)

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 10:34:07 PM »
I have a red centred dessert lime with 3 fruit on it I'm just not sure how to know when there ripe.
Russell

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 03:20:08 PM »
Can someone describe the taste of the fruit on fingerlimes?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 03:28:09 PM »

I'm curious about this too.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 03:45:38 PM »

I'm curious about this too.

It depends on the variety, but they taste like a more intense flavored lime but much less sour. They have the added bonus of being able to be frozen. They are nice, but not as good as something like a lemonade, which hands down the best citrus virtually unheard outside of Australia and NZ.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 04:22:57 PM »
http://www.onlinetrees.com.au/p/4075183/citrus-limon---lemonade.html

Lemonade are good alright and probably a lemon/meyer x mandarin. The best of all citrus might be promoting them beyond their station a bit.

Fingerlimes seem to have more flavours going on than regular limes.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 08:36:08 PM »
http://www.onlinetrees.com.au/p/4075183/citrus-limon---lemonade.html

Lemonade are good alright and probably a lemon/meyer x mandarin. The best of all citrus might be promoting them beyond their station a bit.

Fingerlimes seem to have more flavours going on than regular limes.

I've heard meyer lemon x orange. lemon x orange and meyer x mandarin. I'm inclined to believe meyer x orange due to the toughness of the skin, size and segmentation. I'm a big champion of the Lemonade, I reckon it should be a staple in the citrus aisle with the mandarins, oranges and tangellos. I totally rate lemonades over grapefruit which are ever present in supermarkets, you'll see even pommelos in brisbane before you see lemonades. Just can't understand why they aren't popular as they tick all the boxes.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 04:35:56 PM »
Starling, if you are a fan of Lemonade, you should purchase a citrus variety called the New Zealand Lemonade tree.  The fruit eaten out of hand from the tree, taste like lemonade, thus the name. It is a vigorous variety, and produces fruit all year around, with its heaviest crop in the spring - Millet                     .

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 04:46:06 PM »
Starling, if you are a fan of Lemonade, you should purchase a citrus variety called the New Zealand Lemonade tree.  The fruit eaten out of hand from the tree, taste like lemonade, thus the name. It is a vigorous variety, and produces fruit all year around, with its heaviest crop in the spring - Millet                     .

Probably the same variety that is sold in Australia Millet. Mine seems to flower all year round too. I have two dwarf varieties growing in pots, I guess I'll plant them out when they reach a meter or so. Big problems with scale, grasshoppers and citrus leaf miner at my patch, unless my citrus are sprayed with pest oil they get damaged very badly very quickly. I always grow my trees in pots until they are big enough as to be able to take some punishment. The citrus leaf miners don't touch my fingerlimes, go figure.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 07:41:50 AM »
Your fingerlime trees look great! I have fingerlime seedlings growing. I noticed a strange growing habit they all have - they don't grow straight upwards, they curve over and downwards/sideways then start making side branches. Anyone else notice this with their fingerlime seedlings or am I doing something wrong with mine?

I also have 2 seedlings of Australian Round Lime but both seedlings are trifoliate. I asked the supplier if he sent me trifoliate seeds by mistake but he says he doesn't have any trifoliate citrus on his property. I also bought fingerlime seeds from him which were genuine, so either I have a cool new hybrid or he isn't too knowledgeable and has mistaken a trifoliate citrus for the Australian Round Lime.

The Dooja or Gympie Lime should look like a large leaved fingerlime.
If you are into lemonade fruit, the flicks yellow pomelo, which is really a hybrid, is a great fruit with a similar flavor but about 4x the size.

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 12:07:57 AM »
This is my Desert lime and red centre desert lime. I have two fruit on the red one and planted two seeds from the red one to. sorry might have to stand on your head for some of these shots. All these finger lime seeds come from a property with over 40 different citrus varieties so fingers crossed I have at least one that's a keeper. both desert limes are from different source.

Desert lime grafted unknown rootstock

this is the red centre desert lime with two more limes on it and slowly changing colour from green to orange/yellowish. Grafted with unknown rootstock.

This is my two and a half year old rainforest pearl seedling

And my 121 7 month old seedlings. Unknown quality

Sorry about picture quality untill I get my camera it will have to be phone camera.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 03:00:50 AM by rac78 »
Russell

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 01:16:16 AM »
Two three week old red centre desert lime seedlings

I love my babies
Russell

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »

New Zealand lemonade is available from California Citrus Budwood program. I got budwood a couple years ago thru the Texas budwood bureau and ate a dozen or so fruit two years in a row from a 10 gallon potted tree. Then my tree died from neglect while I was moving. I got budwood again this year and propagated  10+ trees. I like the fruit very much. It is the best by far of all the sweet lemons I have tried including ujukitsu, sulcata or sambokan, and pomona acidless lemon.

I took the opportunity to get and propagate a couple other new varieties to me, smith red blood orange and 88-3 lee x robinson.
Always interested in the new. I got valentine a couple years ago but haven't tasted the fruit yet. 88-2 lee x nova is an excellent seedless
late mandarin. Still waiting for 15-150 lee x orlando to fruit.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
Mr. Texas are you interested selling some of your 10 New Zealand Lemonade trees?- Millet

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 12:18:06 PM »
can you just eat the lemon out of hand (on NZ lemonade) or is it still too tart?  Sounds awesome!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 04:11:07 PM »
NZ lemonade will be the same thing as the common garden variety lemonade here which is where they started in the 1970's.They get eaten and juiced just like a oranges and some people love them. The trees are very productive.