Author Topic: Lychees in South Florida  (Read 4384 times)

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
Lychees in South Florida
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
I have already heard many times that lychees are few and far between for sale in South Florida this summer. Does anybody know where I can buy Mexican lychees? I've already contacted one S. Florida grower who quoted me at $8-$10 a pound. I'm not willing to pay that much for lychees so I figured Mexican would be reAsonable... Any suggestions?
Zach

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Lychees in South Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:04:41 PM »
I've seen them on craigslist for between $3-6 per lb..sometimes 5lb minimum..just do search..I've seen Hak Ip, and Sweetheart.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:10:43 AM »
I've been keeping an eye on craigslist too. So far I have not been able to find anyone willing to ship.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 02:24:11 AM »
I have already heard many times that lychees are few and far between for sale in South Florida this summer. Does anybody know where I can buy Mexican lychees? I've already contacted one S. Florida grower who quoted me at $8-$10 a pound. I'm not willing to pay that much for lychees so I figured Mexican would be reAsonable... Any suggestions?
Sent you a PM (private message).
- Rob

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
I picked up 7lbs of Sweetheart lychees at The Fortune Cookie asian market today...They are 4.99lb....It's off of Forest Hill Blvd and East of Congress if you live around there....

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:43:54 AM »
I picked up 7lbs of Sweetheart lychees at The Fortune Cookie asian market today...They are 4.99lb....It's off of Forest Hill Blvd and East of Congress if you live around there....
Florida or Mexico grown ?
- Rob

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:02:36 AM »

They are Florida grown...they said they are all local for now...very sweet and juicy...a lot of chicken tongues on these.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 11:37:41 AM »

They are Florida grown...they said they are all local for now...very sweet and juicy...a lot of chicken tongues on these.
How much did they have ?  You sure they are Sweetheart and not Hak Ip ?
- Rob

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »

How much did they have ?  You sure they are Sweetheart and not Hak Ip ?

They definitely have the heart shape and they even had a sign that said Sweetheart on top of them..I cleaned out about 1/2 of a tray which was around 7lbs..I told some worker that there was none left and then the lady at the counter brought out a whole tray...So I would guess somewhere int the neighborhood of at least 12-14lbs per tray

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 05:49:23 PM »
I called a friend of mine, a lychees producer in Pine Island, and asked for lychees.  She said no lychees for sale this year.  She said only a few emperors for personal consumption.  My brewster is approximately 14 feet tall....no fruit this year, not enough cold weather.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk