Author Topic: irradiated fruits and seed germination  (Read 2773 times)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
irradiated fruits and seed germination
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:41:11 PM »
I have managed to germinate Langsat, Durian, longan, lychee and jackfruit seeds that were irradiated in Thailand/Asia before exporting them. Even though they were exposed to radiation some fruit seeds seems to germinate just fine except for Rambutan and mangosteen. I always get zero germination with these two species.

Do you guys have any idea ?.
Moh'd

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: irradiated fruits and seed germination
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 06:00:17 PM »
All depends on dosage at which they are irradiated. Smaller fruits might get stronger dose just because of their size. I don't think durians are irradiated. Also some of the fruits you mention might have different protocol other than irradiation...there are other treatments.
Oscar

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 09:10:54 PM »
Are you sure they are from Asia? I don't mean to imply you are wrong, but even at Asian supermarkets in my area, many of the asian fruits are coming from Colombia, Nicaragua, and others where they don't irradiate. Just a thought.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 05:47:40 AM »
Are you sure they are from Asia? I don't mean to imply you are wrong, but even at Asian supermarkets in my area, many of the asian fruits are coming from Colombia, Nicaragua, and others where they don't irradiate. Just a thought.
Doubt tropical fruits from South America make it to the middle east. EvilFruit is from Dubai. Also there is no exportation of durian, langsat, or longan from S. America because those fruits are not grown there.
Oscar

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 04:01:04 PM »
All depends on dosage at which they are irradiated. Smaller fruits might get stronger dose just because of their size. I don't think durians are irradiated. Also some of the fruits you mention might have different protocol other than irradiation...there are other treatments.

I guess you're right about each fruit has a different protocol.

Thanks
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 04:05:36 PM »

I'm 100% sure that most fruits we get are from Asia and Australia. We do get fruits and Vegetables from Africa and S.America like Avocado, Atemoya,mango and dragon fruit  but it's not that much.

Thanks
Moh'd

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 04:11:13 PM »
I think I tried sweet tamarind from Thailand a couple of times & got zero germination. I think some others have reported success with tamarind so I think that their irradiation dosage might be erratic, even for the same species?

John

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 04:33:41 PM »
I think I tried sweet tamarind from Thailand a couple of times & got zero germination. I think some others have reported success with tamarind so I think that their irradiation dosage might be erratic, even for the same species?

John

As Oscar said. each company might have a different protocol/approach for sterilization. Some might use chemicals, hot water, etc and other will use radiation.

Thanks John
Moh'd

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 07:57:02 PM »

John
I don't know if dried fruits are irradiated...i don't think so. Differences in germination might also have to do with how long the boxes have been in storage. Tamarind seeds are viable for a long time...but not for ever.
Oscar

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 11:54:07 PM »
I don't mean any insult, but it was precisely because he's in the UAE that I said that. I know the purchasing power of it's citizens can command more tropical fruit than other countries in the region, and the UAE has a huge import agreement with Brasil for tropical fruit. I just thought it was possible they may be getting some from other SA countries. That said, I agree they are probably still getting the majority of tropical fruit like mangosteens from Asia, and it's irradiated.

mwambao

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 12:44:14 AM »

John

Try and soak  seeds in water for a few days first. Experimented  this here and got 90 % Germination.
Sent seeds from the same box to kenya nothing germinated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk