Author Topic: Our Fruitcation to Homestead  (Read 11140 times)

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Our Fruitcation to Homestead
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 08:46:52 AM »
Geosulcata, just had a chance to read your whole post. Sounds like you had a really great and memorable time. Great reporting and photos! What is the colorful blue lizard with gold colored head? Happy anniversay!
Thanks!
I think the lizards are called red headed agamas (not native). They were everywhere. We attempted to catch one, but they were very quick. We also saw many baby iguanas and various non-indigenous anoles.

Celeste

The lizards are usually found around the spiny forest of madegascar area of Fairchild gardens..

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2015, 10:56:19 AM »
Very cool report on your fruitcation,happy anniversary :)

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2015, 01:16:35 PM »
How much were the mangosteens a pound?  I'm so shy about buying them.  You pay crazy cash for them and half of them are moldy fuzz when you crack them open, which makes them twice as expensive, and yet I still buy them. I've learned to not sit on them after purchase, open immediately, devour if good.

Wonderful report by the way.

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2015, 01:38:27 PM »
How much were the mangosteens a pound?  I'm so shy about buying them.  You pay crazy cash for them and half of them are moldy fuzz when you crack them open, which makes them twice as expensive, and yet I still buy them. I've learned to not sit on them after purchase, open immediately, devour if good.

One fruit was $2. I only purchased one - they were sold by the pound, but I do not remember the price. It wasn't moldy. It was good, but left me wondering what all the fuss was about. Perhaps because they do travel and are irradiated. I wish I had purchased 2 so I could have seen if they tasted the same or not. Next time.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2015, 05:43:47 PM »
How much were the mangosteens a pound?  I'm so shy about buying them. You pay crazy cash for them and half of them are moldy fuzz when you crack them open, which makes them twice as expensive, and yet I still buy them. I've learned to not sit on them after purchase, open immediately, devour if good.

You have to learn how to pick them out. If the exterior has hardened it is old and either moldy or full or resin inside. Press the exterior. It should be soft and pliable, then it is good to eat. There also should be not spots or drops of yellow resin on outside, which means there probably is resin on the inside as well.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 06:21:41 PM »

One fruit was $2. I only purchased one - they were sold by the pound, but I do not remember the price. It wasn't moldy. It was good, but left me wondering what all the fuss was about. Perhaps because they do travel and are irradiated. I wish I had purchased 2 so I could have seen if they tasted the same or not. Next time.

That wa salsa my first thought when I had my first one.  Queen of fruits?  Not for me.  Ok but nothing to write home about.  A white baby tangerine that tastes sweet but isn't acidic and takes some work to get to.  It's all good though - to each their own.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 06:39:41 PM »

That wa salsa my first thought when I had my first one.  Queen of fruits?  Not for me.  Ok but nothing to write home about.  A white baby tangerine that tastes sweet but isn't acidic and takes some work to get to.  It's all good though - to each their own.

I also was severely disappointed when i first ate mangosteen. But no fruit can live up to the hype of being the "best fruit in the world". Also the first mangosteen i had was in Thailand. The fruits there are generally not so good. After eating mangosteens fresh and at peak ripeness off my own trees i can tell you it definitely is a top notch fruit.
Oscar

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
This was a truly wonderful post - thanks for taking us on the fruitcation with you! Lovely idea for an anniversary trip.

I would note that based on your picture of mangosteen, and my limited experience trying the fruit, half of yours looked a bit rotted/overripe. So that might have affected the flavor. But I wrote about my experience elsewhere, it was equally underwhelming, although more creamy than citrus-y. Like a somewhat creamy lychee, but in my case with a slight metallic taste which I also didn't care for. It had sort of a complex flavor that was hard to identify, but I'm sure I didn't get the full complexity that it is capable of. I saw no evidence of resin or any problems with the fruits, and they appeared fully ripe but not overripe/slimy, but the exteriors were not exactly soft either. My assumption is that any fruit that has had that much of a trip, or was grown perhaps in poor soil, would not taste so great as fresh off the tree and ideal conditions. It's not really fair of us to consider mangosteen  less than amazing if we have not tasted it in ideal conditions, because certainly any fruit that has been irradiated and shipped weeks to sit in a store would turn us off to the whole variety, like a grocery store apple or banana (or mango!). And that's not really fair to judge them by, is it? Even Coffee Arabica has dramatically different flavor as a crop based on where grown and how cared for, even when it's all the same variety. So maybe in Borneo or wherever, eating mangosteen truly is a transcendent experience. All I can say is in SFL, so far, it is not.

I would admit though, while I think the experience is certainly overrated for the price, I can't help but still consider buying more in the future, in case I finally figure out what I'm missing! :) And, I continue to grow my own mangosteen tree and hope it actually fruits someday.

The trip looked amazing, and brought me new excitement to go out and see all my local SFL sites once again... because it's hard to ever get enough!

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2015, 01:34:25 AM »
How much were the mangosteens a pound?  I'm so shy about buying them. You pay crazy cash for them and half of them are moldy fuzz when you crack them open, which makes them twice as expensive, and yet I still buy them. I've learned to not sit on them after purchase, open immediately, devour if good.

You have to learn how to pick them out. If the exterior has hardened it is old and either moldy or full or resin inside. Press the exterior. It should be soft and pliable, then it is good to eat. There also should be not spots or drops of yellow resin on outside, which means there probably is resin on the inside as well.
I had some amazing mangosteens in Vietnam.  When you are able to find them around here (which ain't often),  you don't get to choose soft or not, they are all hard.  Ya, the fresh ones are fantastic.  It is amazing the difference in difficulty in opening a soft one as opposed to hard one.  They should make body armor out of the carapace of the hard ones, its like compressed cardboard, light weight and stops a knife.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 01:36:53 AM »

I had some amazing mangosteens in Vietnam.  When you are able to find them around here (which ain't often),  you don't get to choose soft or not, they are all hard.  Ya, the fresh ones are fantastic.  It is amazing the difference in difficulty in opening a soft one as opposed to hard one.  They should make body armor out of the carapace of the hard ones, its like compressed cardboard, light weight and stops a knife.

The hardened ones, especially if hard all the way around, are almost always bad inside. Mangosteens harden after becoming over ripe. You can see that in old fruits under trees.
Oscar

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 09:21:11 PM »
We are planning another Anniversary Fruitcation to Homestead next month. Any one have suggestions of other fruit places to visit? Has anyone been to Grimal Grove in the Keys?

gatoreece

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2016, 11:39:18 PM »
Maybe you can get a tour of Possum Trot while you're down there(Andy F. can probably get you in touch with Robert).  Also check Three Sisters across the road from F&S. 

Grimal Grove is a very cool place if you have time but it's a long drive.  I stopped by last fall while cycling touring the Keys.  It was closed but a neighbor gave me a tour and let me eat a ton of fruit(Kwai muk, macadamias, carambola, and huge red bananas) and we fed bananas to the key deer.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:42:39 PM by gatoreece »
-Matt
What's Ripening Florida?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk